BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:40 AM   #21
Tri-Tip
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

When is the "official" Verizon .85 release date?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #22
suicidepact

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
I see no reason why you could not or should not either update while in Europe or push service books while in Europe. There are thousands of BB users in Europe. The internet really doesn't care where you are. Have a nice trip. BTW: >85 seems to be an improvement on .75

Thanks for the response, but my thinking isn't about internet, more about if I were to upgrade while in Europe, being as my home service is in the U.S. I don't know if all the provisioning, service books, etc. would be able to be sent once I upgraded. I leave tomorrow, so I guess I'll stick w/ .75 until I get back at the beginning of Feb. before I go back again.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #23
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

More updates:

- battery life has improved
- web browser is more stable (using now)
- I like the screen locking (screen off when locked)

Screen navigation (copy/paste) is still a nightmare...
Old 01-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #24
PHLAK

After using .85 for about a week, I have to say it is a nice improvement in terms of speed, but the stability they have sacrificed for it is very irritating. I'm probably going to stick with .85 til the next official release, but only because I don't want to use a slow phone.

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 01-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #25
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

I must be lucky... my .85 is stable... I was even pleasantly surprised that it works well w/ Viigo, I was having trouble when accuweather was installed on .83 and once w/ .85... removed it and it stabalized...

Then I added Viigo and hoped it wouldn't start locking up again, but so far it's been real stable. The stablest OS yet on the storm for me... but again, I removed a ton of crap (Application Center, VZ Navigator, Visual VM, etc) I have zero intention of using.

I really liked the AP news app, but I added viigo and I have to say I like it more and prefer to have one app to do more.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #26
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

I'm really confused about how my experiences with .85 can be so different from those praising it in this thread.

Perhaps I didn't give it enough of a chance (3 days over the holidays with relatively low usage). Everyone has been raving about the new lock speed. Admittedly, it locks MUCH quicker when using the lock button, but I found password input to be significantly slower. To the point where I'd type in my 8 char password, and it would only pickup the first 1-2 chars!

Thinking back, the whole unlock experience may be what turned me off. The lag combined with the new lock functionality just made it too much of a PITA for me to give it a fair shot. I've been a BB user for a long time now, and some of my biggest initial disappointments were due to the fact that they had deviated from some of the tried and true BB functionality (they really had no choice, considering the new input method). The lock also irritated me. It's a definite change from the 'BB way'. I see where it can be enormously useful to someone who keeps their phone in their pocket all day - the fewer times the screen lights, the longer your battery lasts. I use a holster and just couldn't deal with the extra step of hitting the unlock button (rather than touching the unlock button on the screen) and then deal with the substantial lag in password input. The keyboard also seemed laggier than .75

What am I missing here? I must have blinders on and am to stubborn to see the good in the .85 release. That being said, I'm back on .75 and perfectly happy (and isn't that what matters? I don't care about having the newest OS, I just want a stable & functional device!).

So fill me in... Since RIM is either too lazy/stupid to produce one, or too secretive to release it, post your .75 > .85 changelog below!

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1
Closed Thread