Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
talexander

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default Keyboard Auto Lock on 9700

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a keyboard auto lock feature somewhere in here? When the screen goes dark or after a some time I need for the keyboard to lock. No password, just keyboard auto lock and then press the unlock buttons. I found the icon to lock it, but unlike all my former phones I can't find an keyboard auto lock on a timer.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
ltj13
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8320)

There's a 3rd party app that does that. I think its just called keyboard locker
Old 01-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Or you could make Lock one of your Convenience Key options to make manual locking a little easier.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
talexander

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default Thank You

Looks like its either hold down the A key or Auto Lock from the store. Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
kalikidtx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

if you push the top left of the phone as if there was a button there, it will press in and then lock

pressing the right side mutes a phone call, pauses music, and puts the phone in standby...is that what you were looking for?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
trax95008

Carrier: AT&T

Beiks makes a keyboard locker. its in appworld. you can set how long to wait to lock. i have mine set for 10sec after the back light goes out. that way if the lock button on the top is pressed in my pocket, it will re-lock its self
Old 01-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

I use tinylock... works great...
Old 04-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMobile

Keyboard Locker was a simple and free extension to the built-in functionality, but it stopped working after a BlackBerry OS update 5.0.0.5xxx.

We just released a new version, which resolves the problem...it may take a while for it to appear on AppWorld, but it;s already available on our site.

Beiks press release page
"A pocket full of knowledge"
Old 04-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
fonejunkie
Just me

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolev View Post
Keyboard Locker was a simple and free extension to the built-in functionality, but it stopped working after a BlackBerry OS update 5.0.0.5xxx.

We just released a new version, which resolves the problem...it may take a while for it to appear on AppWorld, but it;s already available on our site.

Beiks press release page
Five dollars to auto lock a keyboard? Sounds like someone is taking advantage of a situation... no thanks... auto lock works perfectly without your app for those of us who choose to secure our BlackBerry with a password...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

So what do you think is not too much? 5 cents? 50 cents?

I am curious.

We can take advantage of the situation - that's what software developers do all the time.

But we can't take advantage on people and we're not trying.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
fonejunkie
Just me

There have been a plethora of free ones before RIM "fixed" it... there will be again... again, it's not an issue for me... but $5 seems a bit steep for a utility to lock your BB screen...
Old 04-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hmm...we shall see about that.

You see, the new situation is very different technically from the old situation.

Before all you needed to do was to add a little piece of software to the already existing RIM solution.

You can't do that under the new OS.

Instead you have to pretty much recreate its functionality.

It's a completely different task and certainly not one that you can put together in a few minutes like before.

That tells me that there aren't going to be a plethora of freeware applications.

Sure, if someone with enough free time on their hands and enough expertise decides to do it then they will.

But the task is above the level of a quick custom extension of the OS functionality.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #13
trax95008

Quote:
So what do you think is not too much? 5 cents? 50 cents?

I am curious.

We can take advantage of the situation - that's what software developers do all the time.

But we can't take advantage on people and we're not trying.
hey Kolev, are you a rep of Beiks? you seem pretty abrasive and arrogant about the situation. i also agree that $6 is pretty steep. you can catch AddOnis on sale for half of that. it has auto lock, and a lot of other features. and since you asked, i would say $1.99 would be my limit
Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #14
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

yes, I am a BEIKS rep.

And if you show me how am I arrogant I will make sure to apologize and correct myself in future.

In my book being upfront is different than being arrogant, let alone abrasive.

Frankly, I haven't seen AddOnis on sale. But, on the other hand, I am quite sure you haven't seen Keyboard Lock on sale either, so your comparison doesn't quite stand.

Still, I am thankful for your input. If I see enough people that share it we will correct the price.

If, on the other hand, enough people think that $4.99 is fair then we'll keep it there.

Near future will tell.

If you think we're not interested in establishing the optimal price you are flat out wrong.

This is why I asked the question in the first place.

Last edited by kolev; 04-19-2010 at 11:34 PM..
Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
trax95008

1: you were arrogant and abrasive by suggesting 5 cents and 50 cents in response to someone giving feedback.

2: AddOnis was on sale last week for half off. just because YOU didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen (more arrogance) so my comparison does stand

3: I checked your website today and the price was $5.99 not $4.99
Old 04-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #16
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hmm...I fail to see arrogance in my question. But I take your input as one vote for that and if some more people agree with it I'll have to take it for what it's worth and learn.

To me it's a matter of speach and form of question. You would notice that the poster did NOT, actually, provide a number. Even after the suggestion.

People often criticise without providing creative suggestions. And without them there isn't much value in the criticism, is there?

Or perhaps you should walk a mile in my shoes before you see the point

As for that program, I hope it was clearly apparent I have not heard of it and equally clear this is a core reason why I have not heard of its discount.

The argument still stands, though, because even if I have heard it, that still does not compare the two programs in equal light.
How do you know we don't have our program at 80% off for our own customers?

I do not criticise other programs nor do I expect you to rush and buy ours. I barely ask for opinion and I am old enough to know that there are many different opinions out there.

I respect them all - including yours - and am thankful for them.

Arguing whether our standard price is comparable with another application's price at sale is, well, wrong direction of the conversation altogether.

Someone could correctly point out that a T-Mobile closeout sale of G1 inventories comes with the function in the phone already built-in and argue that since this is true his point is valid.

As for what have you seen today...sorry...from what I know it's been released at $4.99.

Chances are it may have been different for a very short time, I'll give you that. I'll the be first to agree we're not perfect

The first poster himself said "Five dollars to auto lock a keyboard..." so apparently he has seen the release price correctly.

Last edited by kolev; 04-20-2010 at 12:25 AM..
Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 AM   #17
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Hmm...I fail to see arrogance in my question. But I take your input as one vote for that and if some more people agree with it I'll have to take it for what it's worth and learn.

To me it's a matter of speach and form of question. You would notice that the poster did NOT, actually, provide a number. Even after the suggestion.

People often criticise without providing creative suggestions. And without them there isn't much value in the criticism, is there?

Or perhaps you should walk a mile in my shoes before you see the point

As for that program, I hope it was clearly apparent I have not heard of it and equally clear this is a core reason why I have not heard of its discount.

The argument still stands, though, because even if I have heard it, that still does not compare the two programs in equal light.
How do you know we don't have our program at 80% off for our own customers?

I do not criticise other programs nor do I expect you to rush and buy ours. I barely ask for opinion and I am old enough to know that there are many different opinions out there.

I respect them all - including yours - and am thankful for them.

Arguing whether our standard price is comparable with another application's price at sale is, well, wrong direction of the conversation altogether.

Someone could correctly point out that a T-Mobile closeout sale of G1 inventories comes with the function in the phone already built-in and argue that since this is true his point is valid.

As for what have you seen today...sorry...from what I know it's been released at $4.99.

Chances are it may have been different for a very short time, I'll give you that. I'll the be first to agree we're not perfect

The first poster himself said "Five dollars to auto lock a keyboard..." so apparently he has seen the release price correctly.
If I am the "poster" that you are speaking of, I will respond to satisfy your curiosity. I won't buy it, simply because I don't need it. But I would suggest that $0.99 to $1.99 would be a reasonable price for such an app.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #18
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

For what it's worth - we are a reference company after all - I just looked up "arrogance" and found the following: "overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors".

I can't possibly see how the question may suggest supperior manner towards inveriors.

Could be because of poor immagination, could be because it wasn't asked this way in the first place

I can imagine the response being called 'annoyed' ("aroused to impatience or anger"), but still fail to see it as arrogant.

In fact there may have been some element of that, I'd agree. Certainly not too much though - the mere value of the suggestions is certainly not enough to justify such extreme classification. Especially considering the polite question mark (would have been question and exclamation otherwise), followed by the calm and logical continuation below.

As I said I'd be listening to what others , if any, will say.

To me, even while I tried, I can't see this as arrogant.

Proud for what we do we are, but nowhere in the text I can see superiority manner towards the inferior.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:41 AM   #19
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
For what it's worth - we are a reference company after all - I just looked up "arrogance" and found the following: "overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors".

I can't possibly see how the question may suggest supperior manner towards inveriors.

Could be because of poor immagination, could be because it wasn't asked this way in the first place

I can imagine the response being called 'annoyed' ("aroused to impatience or anger"), but still fail to see it as arrogant.

In fact there may have been some element of that, I'd agree. Certainly not too much though - the mere value of the suggestions is certainly not enough to justify such extreme classification. Especially considering the polite question mark (would have been question and exclamation otherwise), followed by the calm and logical continuation below.

As I said I'd be listening to what others , if any, will say.

To me, even while I tried, I can't see this as arrogant.

Proud for what we do we are, but nowhere in the text I can see superiority manner towards the inferior.
Here's a reference for you... "Methinks thou protesteth too much"... you appear to be working overtime because someone suggested that your attitude projects arrogance and abrasion. As my dad used to say, the first rule when you find yourself waist deep in a hole is to simply put down the shovel.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #20
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
If I am the "poster" that you are speaking of, I will respond to satisfy your curiosity. I won't buy it, simply because I don't need it. But I would suggest that $0.99 to $1.99 would be a reasonable price for such an app.
Yes, I was refering to you. And I sure understand you and probably many others would not buy the application.

Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks for the answer!

I hope it is not hard to imagine that for some people who do need it that same price that they are ready to pay is higher.

Bear in mind, though, I am not defending it, even ithough I could. I play devil's advocate on both sides of the fense.

That's my way of finding the optimal place.

And I agree with your dad. Have a good night

Last edited by kolev; 04-20-2010 at 12:46 AM..
Closed Thread