BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Ryanfozzie

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Blackberry Bold 9700 White Screen With Battery Symbol And Red Line Through It

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there

Blackberry Bold 9700 White Screen With Battery Symbol And Red Line Through It!!!!! WHAT SHALLL I DO!!!!

I have tried loader with battery in and it still happens

Few weeks ago i dropped it in bath....Dried it out and it was fine until monday it just died. I have re-installed os a few times but the same thing happens again. I have ordered new housing off ebay because i can see the 4 silver sponge spacer thingys are, well some are fine, 2 are falling apart. Maybe it is shorting its self....

WHAT SHALL I DOOOO
Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Ryanfozzie

Pleasee Help Mee!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
fratts
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: TBayTEL

That symbol means that your phone is being charged with the power off, have you tried pressing the power button for a few seconds. If that doesn't work, you have a very expensive paper weight on your hands.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Ryanfozzie

Once i have held the power of button for like 15 secs it turns off, then on and the same symbol comes up
Old 03-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
fratts

Model: 9630
Carrier: TBayTEL

Not sure what else you can do, if you bring it back to the store they will chalk it up to water damage, I think your fubar'd. Sorry!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
kjaslow

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

Sadly, I'm having a similar experience. I lost my Bold last night, and trying to recharge my old 8800 and seeing that same icon. Unfortunately, I've had a tough lesson about Li-ion batteries lately due to a different device. What I learned was that if they drop below their minimum voltage, they will no longer take a charge. I'm sure that's what's doing with my 8800.

Seems strange that you'd see this on a new 9700, but at any rate, I'd suggest you see if you can try the device with a different battery. Maybe the charging circuitry is kaput and has over-drained your battery without supplying a charge. The only way I can imagine that you'd have seen this problem is if you ran the battery down until the device automatically powered off, and still left the battery in the device without charging it. Any chance that sequence of events has occurred?
Old 03-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
TheRinger
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow View Post
Seems strange that you'd see this on a new 9700, but at any rate, I'd suggest you see if you can try the device with a different battery. Maybe the charging circuitry is kaput and has over-drained your battery without supplying a charge. The only way I can imagine that you'd have seen this problem is if you ran the battery down until the device automatically powered off, and still left the battery in the device without charging it. Any chance that sequence of events has occurred?
He did mention dropping it in water.... My guess is the whole thing is shot
Old 03-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #8
Ryanfozzie

Quote:
Sadly, I'm having a similar experience. I lost my Bold last night, and trying to recharge my old 8800 and seeing that same icon. Unfortunately, I've had a tough lesson about Li-ion batteries lately due to a different device. What I learned was that if they drop below their minimum voltage, they will no longer take a charge. I'm sure that's what's doing with my 8800.

That attcually happened. I got it to work a week ago and it was very low battery and then after a while it shut off. After charging it or trying to do it i just get that screen. I should get a new battery then?
Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
kjaslow

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

A new battery is worth a shot...would be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new device. But maybe one better would be to take the phone to your local phone shop where they may actually have a charged battery for you to try before you buy anything. That would tell you if your device will work once the battery is charged. Then, the next question will be whether the charging circuitry in the phone is still viable. If you get stuck at that point, you can always buy an external charger such as the one made by Seidio or some such thing...
Old 03-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
Ryanfozzie

Thanks for all the help so far.......

Keep your ideas coming
Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Quote:

Sorry - I respectfully disagree. Your battery or charger is just defective, period. I've run the 9700 down to below the point where the radio wouldn't work and then further where the phone wouldn't even power up, and it takes charges just fine with excellent talk time and battery life...done this more than once.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 03-30-2010, 04:50 AM   #12
Ryanfozzie

Housing came today

For bold 9700, however looks totally different...

So far so good and its reloading the softwear!!!!!!!!1
Old 06-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
modenatwinturbo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

hey sorry to bring this up again but this is actually the only place in the internet that i found mentioning of the four sponges on the inner housing. i just replaced the middle frame on my girlfriends 9700 and it didnt come with those four sponges on the old one they were stuck to the case. on this one they are not. so where can i buy those things? and are they even needed? what do they do? i'm confident they are needed so i'm sure this is a very long shot.

Eddie
Old 07-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
dmtesq

Carrier: AT&T

Blackberry Bold 9700 White Screen With Battery Symbol And Red Line Through It

Here's the fix - assuming there's no bathtub issue.

1. Plug in wall charger and then remove battery before red light comes on.

2. After red light comes on, wait 30 seconds then replace battery.

3. Wait 20-30 seconds and then you should see white screen with battery and charge symbol.

4. A few minutes later, the BB should reboot and continue to charge.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 AM   #15
mikeytunes@yahoo.com.sg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: starhub
Default Charging cable

For several blackberry models, if the battery drops below a certain threshold it cannot be charged from a PC. This solution mentioned above should work since it uses a wall adapter.

There is also another cable solution on Amazon that I got which actually has a mode to charge even a dead battery. There are several versions available depending on the variuety of devices that you own. I got one as a corporate gift (apple version) and bought the other one (non-apple version). Here is the link

Amazon.com: csquid

hope you get it (ahem) up again.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #16
RoyGolf

Carrier: T-mobil

Hi Everybody, I had the same problem as all you did. A few months ago I took my Bold-9700 for an unwanted swim and I did let it dry for a week in rice and just today I was experiencing the same problems and tried everything that was said in here, but to no avail. I then talk to T-Mobil and they mentioned to me to take it to a retailer to try one of there batteries and lucky me I had a Radio Shack just up the street, but when I got there they were closed, now remember I put my phone in my back pocket and sat on it the whole way back and forth from the Shack. When I got home the phone was on and in normal mode and now I can't find anything wrong with it, so maybe by the flexing by sitting on it in my back pocket did the trick. I would try to sit on the phone for a while in your back pocket. WHO KNOWS?
Closed Thread