Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Track pad not working....HELP!

Please Login to Remove!

Ok so my fiancé’s BB 8530 has been the victim of a slobbering baby. There are no indications of water damage on the watermark indicators of neither phone nor are there any on the battery. We are only assuming it is slobber damage because the phone worked fine until we noticed the baby trying to eat the thing and there was slobber all over the screen. The phone powers on and all keys work except for the actual track pad. It still works as a phone by just typing someone’s name out on the keys and then selecting the call button. So basically EVERYTHING works except for the track pad. You can’t scroll with it and you can’t select anything by pressing it. So I thought about purchasing a new track pad part and maybe replacing it myself or maybe taking it somewhere to have this done. I have found the pads on Ebay for around 10 bucks. If it isn’t too much more for someone else to do it, whether I have to ship it off or not, that would be fine also. So here are a few questions I have…
1. This phone was given to me by a friend who right after purchasing the BB through Verizon on a contract received a storm at work as a door prize for some event they had. So she gave me the phone after only having it for 2 months while she uses the storm. So right now the phone is approximately 5 months old. Would this possibly still be covered under some type of warranty? Do they only warranty it for the original owner? We did not have any protection plan or insurance on the phone.
2. If I decide to replace the track pad myself how hard is this to do? Anyone out there ever done this? I am something of a tinkerer and have fixed many electrical devices before although I have never really opened up a Blackberry. I just don’t want to do it if by some chance the phone is still under warranty and I will be voiding the warranty by doing this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
b52junebug
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Many
Carrier: Corp demo abuser..

Try calling Verizon and telling them that the pad stopped working. It will probably still be covered under the manufactures warranty. Im not saying anything other than plead ignorance on to why you think it stopped. You can also take it to a Verizon store and have them look at it.

Good Luck!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

Ok so yea I called up Verizon and told them what was going on and they are sending me another device because it was still under warranty. I got to send the other one back. They said as long as the water mark indicator hadn't turn I was good to go.
Closed Thread