Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Just Guessing
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Carrier: verizon
Unhappy Calendar won't sync from handheld to Outlook

Please Login to Remove!

I have a new BES/Exchange 2003 SP2 installation that, for the most part, works fine. The only problem is that the calendar on the Blackberry handheld will not synchronize with Exchange. Calendar entries made in Outlook DO synchronize with the user's handheld. According to Blackberry this is a rights issue - the BESadmin doesn't have the rights to write to the calendar. I've gone through their troubleshooting steps many times, but have not found a solution. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

One way calendar is always CDO.dll mismatch between BES and Exchange, only when on separate machines. Or Permissions/group membership.

Sounds like the BES and Exchange Server are one machine so I'm going with permissions.

Is your BESAdmin part of any admin groups? Is Send As, Receive As inhetiting down to the mailbox and public folder store levels in Exchange System Manager?

What do you see in the MAGT log if you search from the bottom up for cdo.dll?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
cikez

Model: 8130
PIN: 31921E1A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

What version of BES are you running. I thought BES 4.1 SP5 fixed this issue? As long as your permissions are set correctly for BESAdmin.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Just Guessing

Default BES Version Info

I have BES version 4.1.4.12. I look at the SP5 readme and, although I found calendar fixes, I found nothing related to my problem. I have a feeling SP5 won't do me. I have checked and double checked rights. I would think that if this is a rights problem, I would have other problems. I think I'll tell the users to live with it. It's the only thing not working.

My BES server is on the Exchange server. I can only find one instance of the cdo.dll file in the MAGT log file.

Doesn't Blackberry have some kind of troubleshooting software that can pinpoint porblems? I have set up far more Exchange/Windows Mobile systems and they're far easier to get running.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
cikez

PIN: 31921E1A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Just to be safe, I would go ahead and upgrade to SP5. It can't hurt.( I dont think)
Old 04-29-2008, 05:01 AM   #6
gibson_hg

What account are you using to run the BES? Are you logged in as an Admin account?

Also, to check the MAGT log for the right error just create an appointment on a users BB then search for that users email address from the bottom up and you should find and entry for that user that references the Calendar.

This issue is only caused by mismatched CDO.dll and permissions, seeing as your BES and Exchange are the same machine it's a permissions issue.

The permissions for Calendar do not affect anything else either, when you're setting permissions in Exchange System Manager the Send As permission is the one used for Calendar. It could be that it didn't inherit down to the mailbox or public folder store level, if it doesn't then it won't work.

If the BESAdmin is a part of any admin groups it also loses the Send As right and Calendar will break. BESAdmin can only be in the builtin admins group when the BES is on a DC, that is the only exception.

The MAGT will tell you why it's failing, if you see "You do not have permission to log in" then I don't think I need to explain what the cause is.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Just Guessing

This is the error in the log file:

Server = variety1, Mailbox = /o=First Organization/ou=first administrative group/cn=Recipients/cn=Aaron Description = You do not have permission to log on. [Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store - [MAPI_E_FAILONEPROVIDER(8004011D)]]
[30180] (04/29 00:28:58.973):{0x1C98} {Aaron} CDOCalendar::Initialize - Error in call m_spCalendarFolder = m_spCDOSession->GetDefaultFolder

I assume this definitely means I have a permissions problem.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
Just Guessing

The BesAdmin account is not an administrator - it only belongs to the domain users group. I also gave it full rights to the private and public stores - even though it doesn't need it. There are several Blackberry services. Some use the administrator account, some BesAdmin. The Blackberry Dispatcher service won't run at all unless it uses the administrator account. Which services should use which account?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
gibson_hg

Only a handful of services run as the local system account, the rest run as BESAdmin. No BES services should be running as any other account then BESAdmin or localsystem. The BlackBerry Alert, Database Consistency, IM, MDSS services all run as local system. The Dispatcher, Router, Controller, Policy and Sync should be BESAdmin.

The log line you posted shows that it's a permissions issue. Either something is missing or the account itself is the issue.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
Just Guessing

Talking Fixed The Mother!!

After spending four hours goofing around with checking permissions and creating a new BESAdmin - to no avail - I finally rolled up my sleeves and uninstalled BES per the Installation Guide and reinstalled. This time I made sure to install BES while logged in as BESAdmin. Everthing - including the calendar synchronization works fine. While in the Installation Guide, I could find nothing about this important step, but it IS mentioned in alot of the troubleshooting documentation including calendar synching problems. This step should be in BIG LETTERS.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

This time I made sure to install BES while logged in as BESAdmin.

Like this?

I agree it should be, it got me on my first install.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
jugglethree

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default syncing outlook calendar

In the last week my Outlook calendar will not sync to the BB. Addresses and memos sync just fine. I completely wiped out the calendar on the BB, but still cannot get the sync to work. Any suggestions?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
jugglethree

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

After trying every suggested remedy with no luck, I finally did a security wipe and the calendar sync now works. Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #14
dwlinder

Model: 8700
PIN: 203D2038
Carrier: Cingular

We have same issue no luck with RIM after two weeks. Security Wipe an remove devices from BES and reinstall no JOY !

Did you get it resolved ?
Closed Thread