BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #21
Apache

Model: 7510
Thumbs down 7510 Toughskin Case

Please Login to Remove!

Yesterday, the 27th of July, was the first day of full usage.

First observation is that getting my BB out of the belt clip with one hand is damn near impossible (I later found this to be a little easier). This will take some getting used to.

Secondly, it has fallen out of the holster 3 times already (only had it on for 4 hours) once was while I was in the bathroom and I almost lost my BB down the…

I had to go on an unscheduled 3 hour trip this afternoon. While I was in my car the BB fell out of the holster more times than I can remember. When I stopped for gas and a cup of coffee I went in the store and as I usually do, check to see if I have email. BB was gone!! I quickly ran back to the car and there it was, in the parking space next to my car, luckily no one had pulled up or I would have had a flat BB (don’t think the Tough-skin would have protected against that)!

Here is my assessment of this case:

1. Speck needs to redesign the holster, period. Maybe go with a curved cup style like the OEM holster.
2. The Tough-Skin is OK, but I would prefer a Skin-Tight case
3. The keypad cover is useless
4. The case needs a little more tweaking so the display cover will fit correctly and the case doesn’t cover the top row of the keypad.

BOTTOM LINE: Speck needs to take this case back to the drawing board. My BB is once again naked!!
Old 07-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #22
Micpip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default Speck BB7520 Review

The tough case is one of the best protectors out there, the holster one of the worst. If Speck Products can fix (tweak) the holster it would be the best product out there to protect the BB7520. I've tried several mods me self (Trim keypad on right side-top row). Also scratched the inside of holster/clip to make it more abrasive to grab hold of the BB. Next mod to try trimming where the holster grabs to make a little tray where it will lock into. Then try heating up the clip to shrink the overall height of it (fill in where I trimmed the case). This should help hold the BB allot better. With a few mods this will be on all of are stores’ shelves and recommended by all my staff. I would also like to see a skin tight version for the business class individual. Many of my customers complimented me on the case and really liked it. I also found out wearing the BB horizontally made it fall out allot more/tried vertical for a few hours and it never feel out.

P.S. By the way I lost my BB again from the clip while typing this that make 6 times in 8 Hours (once in the first 5 mins of wearing it)

DO YOU BLACKBERRY?
Old 07-28-2005, 07:12 PM   #23
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Good to hear a review from actual users. I guess I will hold off until a "regular" case comes out for the device. That is what I was hoping for since I do not need a tough case for my everyday use.

pink
Old 07-29-2005, 04:04 PM   #24
sportbikeoutlet

Model: 7520
Default Toughskins Blackberry 7520 Initial Thoughts

Good Evening, My name is John and I own a restaurant equipment service company servicing restaurants such as Burger King, McDonalds, and many others in New Orleans Louisiana. For years we have tried to come up with a system of eliminating paperwork yet maintaining accountability for our service techs in the field. The blackberry was our saving grace but in the harsh environment that we work in, we were constantly bringing our BB's in to Nextel to be repaired.

We have tried numerous pouches, cases, and protectors all failing to protect the phones. When I came across this case and the features that it offered I hoped for the best. I emailed Amy at Speck and explained to her what we were looking for and asked if we could test the case. She sent me over two full cases, one clear and one black.

I am posting my initial thoughts on the cases tonight and will send them into the field with two of my techs beginning tomorrow. After one week of usage I will post again with our final review. If they can live thru our environment, they can live thru anything.

Initial Thoughts:

After opening both and comparing them, I would choose black over the clear just in the general appearance category. My only wish is that speck will make a black cradle and a keyboard cover that is black in the rear that way everything will match together. Don't get me wrong, the clear one also looks good but the black just gives that iron man look.

The Toughskins case fits like no other case that I have seen before. You slide your BB in thru the keypad opening and snug fit the remaining portion. I then installed the screen protector and the keypad protector.

The screen protector fits securely in place and is held in place by four small tabs molded in to the corners of the clear screen that lock into the rubber case. I had a very very small gap on both cases at the top but I figured with usage it will probably stretch closed. It may be just my imagination but the screen actually looks clearer with the screen protector on.

The keypad protector slides on from the bottom and keeps itself in place with by locking into the treads on the side of the rubber case. I thought for sure the keypad protect was never going to make it on to the case, it seemed to thick to type thru. I went to my memo pad just to type a few things and to my surprise it works well when typing with two hands. Hopefully, this will eliminate one of the biggest problems we are now experiencing, stuck buttons due to greasy hands trying to type.

In my opinion I think the cradle needs a full cup instead of the half cup that it is. I am afraid that my techs will get it caught on items and if the phone is pried hard enough, it will come out of its cradles. I am actually pulling it out the incorrect way by force just to see what it can do. I will know more one it comes back from the field test.

That’s all for tonight, I will be posting a conclusion to my review next Friday. This will give both cases a full week in the field for testing. I again would like to thank Amy at speckproducts.com for sending us out these cases so quickly.

[email address]
Old 07-29-2005, 09:17 PM   #25
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Doesnt take force to make the unit fall out of the holster all you have to do is walk and it will work its way out
Old 07-29-2005, 11:59 PM   #26
rcrivera03
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Cool

My son tried it today. He saw it in my top drawer, told me it looked cool. So he slipped it on his 7520 and by the time we got to our clients house, it had slipped out of the clipped 3 times, while in the truck. While installing the network, it dropped another 5 times in 1 hour. He said forget this, what a piece of... Well you get his point. Its back in my top drawer tonight.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:02 AM   #27
Dawg
No longer Registered.

What case does he use RC?
Old 07-30-2005, 12:06 AM   #28
rcrivera03

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
What case does he use RC?
When we are working, he uses the Metal Case. Other than that he either uses the BlackBerry pouch or the Holster.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:16 AM   #29
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I am going in search of the metal case tomorrow
Old 07-30-2005, 12:18 AM   #30
rcrivera03

Quote:
I am going in search of the metal case tomorrow
This is where I ordered ours from. No one had them here locally.

http://www.blackberrysource.com/stor...g.asp?item=128

If you do get one, put a magnet on the inside of the door, it will work to put the BB to sleep just like the holster.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:23 AM   #31
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I think I might order this one,
http://www.blackberrysource.com/stor....asp?item=118#
I like the credit card thing and the pen holder. I could stop carrying my wallet. I thought the metal had a window so I could see who was calling.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:28 AM   #32
rcrivera03

Quote:
I think I might order this one,
http://www.blackberrysource.com/stor....asp?item=118#
I like the credit card thing and the pen holder. I could stop carrying my wallet. I thought the metal had a window so I could see who was calling.
I have that one, and use quite a bit. The window missing from the metal case is the only thing I don't like about it. Which is why I only use it when I am installing a network or when I get called on assignment!!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:30 AM   #33
Dawg
No longer Registered.

you have the leather one with the credit card things? is it a good case i have the oem leather
Old 07-30-2005, 12:37 AM   #34
rcrivera03

Quote:
you have the leather one with the credit card things? is it a good case i have the oem leather
Yep, yep!! I like that case the best. I gave up on the OEM leather case.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:39 AM   #35
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Cool Cool I think thats what i want i like my oem leather but just need a little something more.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:50 AM   #36
cohiba smoker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: VZ
Default krussell leather

Quote:
Cool Cool I think thats what i want i like my oem leather but just need a little something more.
if you are thinking of the krussel case with cc slots, it is a pain in the butt with nextel. The flap closes at the top and it is constantly in the way of the dc button.
I have finally gone to a heavy leather pouch and havent had any trouble.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:52 AM   #37
Dawg
No longer Registered.

no not the one with the flap the one in the link I posted its like the oem leather just has card slots and pen holder on side
Old 07-30-2005, 12:56 AM   #38
cohiba smoker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: VZ

sry.. i didnt read far enough up into the thread. saw leather case with cc slot and had flashbacks of cursing at mine.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:58 AM   #39
rcrivera03

This isn't the one with the flap over the BB. This is like the BB pouch, except it has a pocket in the back for credit cards, I evern have room to put a few small sheets of paper to write on. Its no where close to the Krussell case.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:05 AM   #40
Dawg
No longer Registered.

thanks for looking out for me cohiba US 7520 users have to stick together we are out numbered
Closed Thread