Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
StochasticLife

Model: 7520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel
Unhappy Enterprise Activation mysteriously "breaking"

Please Login to Remove!

This is the first time I've encountered an issue I wasn't able to find a resolution for on the boards, and I'm not discounting the possibility that there already is one out there, I can't seem to find it.

My problem is this:

We recently rolled out device encryption in our environment (about 2 months ago), and ever since then our Enterprise Activations have been "un-finishing". Months after a device has been activated and deployed, the Enterprise Activation tries to finish, again. It always seems to be initializing "auto-text" functions. The device will then finish, again, even though no one has touched the device or manipulated the associated accounts in any way. It was odd, but unimportant, until today. One of my user's phone's completely stopped working when his activation "un-finished". He was unable to receive or send e-mail, or perform look-ups.

I constantly encounter devices that are reporting very recent activations despite the fact that they were actually activated months ago.

As I said, we recently changed our IT policies to enforce device encryption, which is when we started seeing this problem. We're predominantly an AT&T (about 90%) enviroment, and so far, all of the devices have been AT&T's (which, considering the odds, isn't suprising).

We're running BES 4.1 with Microsoft Exchange 2003.

Any suggestions or experience with this problem would be appreciated, as apparently, its beginning to adversely affect the devices in our environment.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Welcome to BBF!

What exact changes did you make to your policy? Have you tried adding a user to another policy without the encryption to see if the issue follows?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
StochasticLife

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson_hg View Post
Welcome to BBF!

What exact changes did you make to your policy? Have you tried adding a user to another policy without the encryption to see if the issue follows?
It doesn't happen to everyone, just many. The changes were made to enforce Content Protection (strong) and to block the installation of 3rd Party Applications.

I'll kick the idea of 'no encryption' to test, but that isn't a viable solution enterprise wide, as we have roughly 600+ devices that MUST be encrypted.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Content Protection will make EA's take an extremely long time to finish as it encrypts every piece of data as it comes in. Same thing goes for wiping the device as well.

Depending on how much data a person has the longer it takes. Also, if you enabled the 'Disallow third party application downloads' policy, there is a better way to do it. Disabling downloads does not stop someone from connecting a BB to a desktop with DTM and installing software.

I would use this instead:

BlackBerry Search Results

This a lot more secure and you have all the control with this. Essentially you block all application installs. It creates a software config to Deny at the top level. Then you just add the apps you want to allow in your environment.

Hope that helps with your security.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
dbanugo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100v
Carrier: orange

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue as you on our enviroment. Have you been able to fix it?

Last edited by dbanugo; 10-08-2008 at 10:52 AM..
Old 03-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
1latenite

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Any updates or solutions to this?

I've been experiencing the same thing with about 10 users (out of 1200). Ever since Content Protection has been enabled, these devices have been randomly re-activating every day (sometime in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon). When you look in the Enterprise Activation, it will show today's date.

I've upgraded the devices from 4.2.x to 4.5.x, but it did not resolve the issue. The only thing it did mange to do is make the device sloooower. I then downgraded the those devices back to 4.2.x.

Any suggestions?

Current environment: BES 4.1.6.1; Content Protection 'Strongest'.
Closed Thread