BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Ban on Gays in the Military?
Keep it in place 6 18.75%
Get rid of it now 20 62.50%
Wait till next year 0 0%
Beer 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Default Ban on Gay's in the Military

Please Login to Remove!

What's your opinion of the ban?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I can care less if someone is gay as long as they do their job.... Same goes for the military... If they do their job, let them be...

I don't think many veterans of war have ever thought "I hope the guy next to me (during the firefight) is not gay"

My.02

Kris
Old 03-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

I can't believe the military still bans gay people. I realize i live in a very liberal state but is there anywhere in the country now that can discriminate based on who you like to have in your bed?

Really I mean in the private sector. A company here in california would face massive lawsuits if they were found to have discriminated against someone for being gay.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
test54
BlackBerry Master

I agree. Its discrimination and does not affect one's ability to do the job / duty.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

My only problem with gays are that they want everyone to know. Who really cares if you are gay or straight. I dont go around telling everyone I am straight. Ones sexual preference should be a private matter for all.

If they wouldn't advertise it no one would ever know in the first place.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
dmead

that's somewhat of a stereotype there. I don't think gays want everyone to know any more than say a newlywed couple wants everyone to know.

straight people advertise their straight by putting wedding anouncemnts and engagement anouncements in the local papers all over america. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a wonderful thing to announce and share with the world. I just don't think that is a valid argument.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

I don't believe ones sexual preference should matter

I knew a few guys/gals that were gay when I served they did their jobs and did them well that is what matters
Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post
that's somewhat of a stereotype there. I don't think gays want everyone to know any more than say a newlywed couple wants everyone to know.

straight people advertise their straight by putting wedding anouncemnts and engagement anouncements in the local papers all over america. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a wonderful thing to announce and share with the world. I just don't think that is a valid argument.
How is that a stereo type have you ever seen a hetrosexual parade? Do you see clubs advertised as straight clubs, do straights have there own phone book?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
dmead

do hetero men go to clubs? I am unaware of a gay phonebook and any parade is kind of dumb and outdated imho. All I was saying is that straights advertise their straightness in the form of wedding/engagement anouncements. You can throw birth anouncements into that mix as well. but that is really another discussion alltogether and really isn't relevant to the topic at hand.

In the greater scheme of things though i really don't think that matters so much in the trenches so to speak. If someone wants to serve his/her country what the f*&k does it matter who they like to schtoop? I'm pretty sure that would be the farthest thing from your mind whilst getting shot at by al-queda or something. Like lunk said.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
If someone wants to serve his/her country what the f*&k does it matter who they like to schtoop?
It doesn't. No idea why this law was around in the first place but its certainly not needed now.

+2 points for dmead for using the word schtoop.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
do hetero men go to clubs? I am unaware of a gay phonebook and any parade is kind of dumb and outdated imho. All I was saying is that straights advertise their straightness in the form of wedding/engagement anouncements. You can throw birth anouncements into that mix as well. but that is really another discussion alltogether and really isn't relevant to the topic at hand.

In the greater scheme of things though i really don't think that matters so much in the trenches so to speak. If someone wants to serve his/her country what the f*&k does it matter who they like to schtoop? I'm pretty sure that would be the farthest thing from your mind whilst getting shot at by al-queda or something. Like lunk said.
Yes straight men go to clubs, well, they exist and they will only use people who advertise in it. We made a boat load of cash advertising in it.

gay phone book - Google Search

How are parades outdated? I think they are great community events. Except during an election year then I hate them.

How do birth annoucments and marriage announcments have to do with coming out of the closet and being openly gay.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
dmead

i said In My Humble Opinion parades are outdated. marriage anouncements are two straight people shouting to the world via a newspaper "Hey look at us, were married.' Since gays can't get married this is more or less and an advert of ones straightness.

again marriage is certainly worth shouting to the world but it is advertising that you are straight.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

perhaps we need a prop 8 poll in here too? This one's just on the military ban and its merits of which there are none.

Last edited by test54; 03-02-2009 at 08:35 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Prop 8, military, regardless, it's all BS. They should have the same rights as anyone else. They're no different than anyone else, why should they get discriminated on? Why can't they marry the one they love? Who cares, who does it hurt?

This is one subject that gets under my skin.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #15
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Prop 8, military, regardless, it's all BS. They should have the same rights as anyone else. They're no different than anyone else, why should they get discriminated on? Why can't they marry the one they love? Who cares, who does it hurt?

This is one subject that gets under my skin.
It hurts no one. Its all discrimination.

PS - just noticed the typo in title.

Last edited by test54; 03-02-2009 at 08:50 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Anytime a "class" of people is treated differently is it discrimination. Plain and simple. I know many "gays" (I hate the labeling) in the military and they do their job as good as anyone else.

Gay is nothing more than a label that makes a few people feel happy. No one should be serving the country is they do the job poorly. I could careless what you do in the bedroom.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #17
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
My only problem with gays are that they want everyone to know. Who really cares if you are gay or straight. I dont go around telling everyone I am straight. Ones sexual preference should be a private matter for all.

If they wouldn't advertise it no one would ever know in the first place.
I think it would be a private matter if "gay" people were treated like everyone else. Whenever a class of people is looked down on it causes those people to start getting in peoples faces to draw attention to them.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #18
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
Anytime a "class" of people is treated differently is it discrimination. Plain and simple. I know many "gays" (I hate the labeling) in the military and they do their job as good as anyone else.

Gay is nothing more than a label that makes a few people feel happy. No one should be serving the country is they do the job poorly. I could careless what you do in the bedroom.

I hate labels.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 AM   #19
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Marriage is between a man and a woman. I have no issue with civil unions. But marriage should remain sacred. I know I will get flamed highly for this but that is my opinion.

and Troy if they remained private then they wouldnt get bashed. I know quite a few homosexuals and I consider a few friends. I would have never known they were gay had i not seen them on the news at a gay pride parade.

I think ones sexual preference should remain private unless someone asks.

Dmead I think marriage announcments are not announcing sexual preference at all. It basically says they are getting married.

what I think is funny we have been discussing economics and the down fall of the country in these threads and the thread about gays in the military bring out more people than whats really important.

Last edited by Dawg; 03-03-2009 at 07:39 AM..
Old 03-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #20
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
and Troy if they remained private then they wouldnt get bashed.
Sad.