Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
dinOmyte
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default New Bold, What to do first?

Please Login to Remove!

I will be receiving my new bold soon. What are some of the first things that I should do (dl and install new OS, apps, etc.).
Old 05-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Ginalovessharks

Model: 8350
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

the bolds come with 4.6 os already installed so you don't have to worry about that.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

you may want to download the latest OS, as even now, Bold's are being shipped with a very old version OS.
Its easier to do this first, then add things like contacts, email, media and apps.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

Download viigo. Best BlackBerry RSS app out there.

http://www.viigo.com
Old 05-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Does it come with a case or holster? If not, get one ASAP.

On applications, that's a very individual thing. There are numerous threads where new members ask what's the best app, etc. Find the latest and browse. Also browse down through the aftermarket subform and you will quickly see what people are bragging about.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
vinny9000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

my bold came with a holster from RIM
Old 05-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
jzarowitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

first thing you should do is train the battery... these arent nimh or nicd batteries, but li ion still need to be directed a bit... for the first 5 nights, charge the phone for 12-15 hours each night (regardless of how low it gets during daytime use). then, to maintain best phone performance, keep the battery above 80%. also, use of car chargers should be kept to a minimum as the trickle charge mechanism of a car outlet destroys the capacity of the unit (it will show full charge but only last a half day or so). also, dont keep the phone in an enclosed space (pockets, purse, etc.). the heat cannot dissipate and will hurt the batt. some say to freeze the battery if you are not going to not use it for a while (with a half charge or so).

reason im delineating this as important? just went through battery replacement after 4 months of use. perhaps a faulty battery, or perhaps my poor use habits: letting it go to almost nothing before charging, and leaving it in the car to charge on long drives.

at $50 a pop, its not a fun repurchase.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
first thing you should do is train the battery... these arent nimh or nicd batteries, but li ion still need to be directed a bit... for the first 5 nights, charge the phone for 12-15 hours each night (regardless of how low it gets during daytime use). then, to maintain best phone performance, keep the battery above 80%. also, use of car chargers should be kept to a minimum as the trickle charge mechanism of a car outlet destroys the capacity of the unit (it will show full charge but only last a half day or so). also, dont keep the phone in an enclosed space (pockets, purse, etc.). the heat cannot dissipate and will hurt the batt. some say to freeze the battery if you are not going to not use it for a while (with a half charge or so).

reason im delineating this as important? just went through battery replacement after 4 months of use. perhaps a faulty battery, or perhaps my poor use habits: letting it go to almost nothing before charging, and leaving it in the car to charge on long drives.

at $50 a pop, its not a fun repurchase.
That is not correct. Li-Ion batteries do not need to be drained. Actually getting them too low can do more harm than good, which is probably what happened in your case. Plus they seem to perform better when topped up. Car chargers have no negative affects either AFAIK.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
jzarowitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
That is not correct. Li-Ion batteries do not need to be drained. Actually getting them too low can do more harm than good, which is probably what happened in your case. Plus they seem to perform better when topped up. Car chargers have no negative affects either AFAIK.
did you even read my post? i said train, not drain. you have most of what i said backwards... i didnt say they need to be drained... did i? and i did say that my letting mine get low was a bad thing... and, to your car charger comment, a tier 3 tech support from att blackberry support told me that. you dont wanna trust his advice, fine, but since my use of a car charger invalidated my warranty (on getting just the battery replaced), i think it has some relation.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinOmyte View Post
I will be receiving my new bold soon. What are some of the first things that I should do (dl and install new OS, apps, etc.).
The first thing you need to do is get familiar with the device. Learn what it can and cannot do. I assume that you will have a BB data plan. If so, set up your email, surf the web, etc.

I would NOT try to upgrade to any newer OS just because it is newer than the one installed on your device. If your device behaves the way you want it to and does what you want it to, don't try to fix it with an OS upgrade. You might find that you can break it.

Read the user guide and our FAQ. Also take a look at Stinsonddog's tips (in my sig block).

Just get to know the device before you ty to mess it up.

-->>Twitter

Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
did you even read my post? i said train, not drain. you have most of what i said backwards... i didnt say they need to be drained... did i? and i did say that my letting mine get low was a bad thing... and, to your car charger comment, a tier 3 tech support from att blackberry support told me that. you dont wanna trust his advice, fine, but since my use of a car charger invalidated my warranty (on getting just the battery replaced), i think it has some relation.
My apologies on the drain issue - read "train" as "drain".

I don't think I would trust a Tier 3 tech when he/she says a car charger harmed the battery. And how could using one invalidate the battery warranty? Never heard either of those before. That is a bunch of bunk IMHO.

And you don't train Li-ion batteries like you used to do with Ni-cads.

-->>Twitter

Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
Alex88

Carrier: vodafone

may i make a comment about the battery issue, i have to say its not very good on battery life and i find mine lasting 12 hours max with not much use, and no one can give an answer why. There a great phone but hate the battery life!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
jzarowitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
My apologies on the drain issue - read "train" as "drain".

I don't think I would trust a Tier 3 tech when he/she says a car charger harmed the battery. And how could using one invalidate the battery warranty? Never heard either of those before. That is a bunch of bunk IMHO.

And you don't train Li-ion batteries like you used to do with Ni-cads.
np... back to the train battery thing... there is battery calibration for lithim ions... go read the back of the package from an OEM bold battery from RIM. or, check this out: Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance <--while i realize thats not from rim, its from apple, and posted this year. they only use li ions.

Last edited by jzarowitz; 05-13-2009 at 06:25 PM..
Old 05-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex88 View Post
may i make a comment about the battery issue, i have to say its not very good on battery life and i find mine lasting 12 hours max with not much use, and no one can give an answer why. There a great phone but hate the battery life!
Battery life isn't as good as other BBs for sure. In many cases, it is the constant searching for a 3G signal that speeds the drain. In other cases, it can be an app or tow or three or more running in the background and hitting the web for data, i.e. Facebook, IM apps, GoogleMaps/GPS etc. It is best to make sure you close any app when you are finished with it.

Reading posts here, an OS upgrade might help. I haven't seen the need, but there are others who have. Do a search and you shoudl be able to find which OS is better for easing the battery issue.

-->>Twitter

Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
dinOmyte

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #16
cdnxpat

Model: q10
PIN: 2AE490BC
Carrier: Mobily

one more thing ENJOY the best phone around n
Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
rontiu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT Wireless

I just got a replacement Bold, and done the thrill on what works for me.
1. If you move from another BB, I would definitely start with a "good" back up because you want to sync back the good stuff to your new toy
2. If you are new new, then I guess one step ahead. I like to upgrade the OS to the latest non-beta version, it works for me.
3. I upgrade the OS via the loader and following the instructions, plus deleting anything with the visual voice mail thingy
4. Once the phone comes on, I start doing an advanced sync back...doing selected stuff, eg. calendar, address from the back up I made....
5. I would then customized my phone (unless you are previous user, you can get that file too resync back for the settings..) font, backlight, memory cleaner, email inboxes...etc..lots of settings one can play with..including themes and how you want the program to line up and show..
6. Last thing I would then download programs....and yes, viigo is awesome a must have...and so is beejive or IM+...

7. I assume you have configured on the DM on what you like to sync with...I would definitely start another back up with the new phone to make sure if things are going bad I have one good setup I can go back to rather re-doing everything.

8. Lastly, I would then call provider..to ask for a network subsidy unlock code...even if yuo don't have an immediate use, it is nice to have it

What I outlined worked for me quite well...especially with the constant OS upgrades...and now the bold replacement ...

have fun with the bold..i had to go back for 24hrs with my old 8820..it was quite interesting to go back after about 5mos with the bold...I got a bit spoiled..hehe when I had to use my 8820...so definitely the bold is an upgrade...

Last edited by rontiu; 05-14-2009 at 11:15 AM..
Old 05-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
dinOmyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontiu View Post
8. Lastly, I would then call provider..to ask for a network subsidy unlock code...even if yuo don't have an immediate use, it is nice to have it

What is the network subsidy unlock code?
Closed Thread