Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
paulcomi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon wireless
Default Question for BES users

Please Login to Remove!

I use redirector now, but my laptop is on a wireless connection and it drops too often so I'm considering getting on the corporate BES. I also would like to get attachments with my emails from work and now I don't.

If I get connected to the BES, do I still have the option to send/receive email via my other email addresses? Now, I have the option to change my which email I'm sending from (hotmail, vzw.blackberry.net, or work email).
Old 11-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

tmobile lets you have pop... it is not real time push... but pop.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Yes. You'll have the option to continue using your BIS e-mails, provided there's not an IT policy preventing it. I have a BES account that's my primary, and I have 5 BIS accounts that I use, as well.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Right -- you can't have multiple integrated email accounts with BES but as long as there isn't an IT policy preventing BIS you can still use BIS for the other accounts.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
ladyhollman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

I have three personal along with the BES account coming to my BB, if that's what you are asking.

I can still choose which account I send messages with, so no worries on that end. Same as with BIS you just hit compose and change to the address you wish to use to send something.

Generally my BB (which is personally owned but linked into the BES) notices which account messages come to so when I reply, it automatically uses the incoming account but it can be changed with a simple push of the space key to whatever I like.

The only thing I noticed is when I'm browsing and decide to send a web link it tries to send the link with the BES account. I have the BES account set up as default so I'm sure that is why it does the send link thing from that account. But as with all BBs, you can change the default account on the device to whatever email account you wish (unless its one of those company owned devices with a wild BES policy).

Hope that helps.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
paulcomi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default checked with the IT dept about BES

"You can get attachments and personal e-mail. But before you get on the BES you have to remove desktop manager and wipe the device"

Wipe the device? Why would that be necessary unless they are capturing everything I do and can't do that unless the BES takes control of the device?

I use PDLists, PDToday, and have 3 personal email accounts plus I sync the device to ACT. If I remove the desktop software I won't be able to sync to my contact manager. Is this a normal request by IT in order to be set up?

I also got this email "It will not join the BES if you have synced with the desktop software. You will your e-mail on the device sometimes before you get it on your laptop"
Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
paulcomi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhollman
I have three personal along with the BES account coming to my BB, if that's what you are asking.

I can still choose which account I send messages with, so no worries on that end. Same as with BIS you just hit compose and change to the address you wish to use to send something.

Generally my BB (which is personally owned but linked into the BES) notices which account messages come to so when I reply, it automatically uses the incoming account but it can be changed with a simple push of the space key to whatever I like.

The only thing I noticed is when I'm browsing and decide to send a web link it tries to send the link with the BES account. I have the BES account set up as default so I'm sure that is why it does the send link thing from that account. But as with all BBs, you can change the default account on the device to whatever email account you wish (unless its one of those company owned devices with a wild BES policy).

Hope that helps.
I went ahead and am activating the BES right now. Its 98% done and its in the process of updating the address book. I had about 200 names in there and at 16% its showing 1700/10087 so I hope that doesn't mean I'll have 10,000 names when I'm done.

How much control do you have over the configuration of your blackberry once you've activated the BES? I checked my Outlook schedule and it already appears that the BES sync'd them from my phone to the corporate outlook schedule which I didn't want.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcomi
I went ahead and am activating the BES right now. Its 98% done and its in the process of updating the address book. I had about 200 names in there and at 16% its showing 1700/10087 so I hope that doesn't mean I'll have 10,000 names when I'm done.

How much control do you have over the configuration of your blackberry once you've activated the BES? I checked my Outlook schedule and it already appears that the BES sync'd them from my phone to the corporate outlook schedule which I didn't want.
You'll have only as much control as your IT dept will let you. Phone book, Calendar, tasks and notes will all be sync'ed to your corporate e-mail account. You may lose the ability to send from your BIS accounts. You may lose the ability to freely surf the web, etc.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #9
john-n-atl-ga

Cool Managing messages

I have BES Exchange account (primary) but I would also like to access/send/receive from my Yahoo and Gmail accounts. BUT... I do NOT want the Yahoo/Gmail messages to be delivered to my BES inbox -- how can I setup for the Yahoo and Gmail messages to go to another message folder? I hope I'm being clear...

John (t-mobile user)

Last edited by john-n-atl-ga; 11-13-2006 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: change sig
Old 11-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
paulcomi
Thumbs Must Hurt

[QUOTE=john-n-atl-ga]I have BES Exchange account (primary) but I would also like to access/send/receive from my Yahoo and Gmail accounts. BUT... I do NOT want the Yahoo/Gmail messages to be delivered to my BES inbox -- how can I setup for the Yahoo and Gmail messages to go to another message folder? I hope I'm being clear...

John (t-mobile user)[/QUOTE
I don't believe my email from personal accounts are sync'd with the BES. I have a hotmail and a blackberry.net email account although the personal email shows up in my messages tab. I feel pretty confident in saying that because I have checked my email sent on my work computer and all I see is email sent and received using the work email address.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:00 PM   #11
john-n-atl-ga

I just can't figure out why when I add an email account via TMO's website, the new messages go to the (main) Messages icon not the Yahoo or Gmail icons... It's just frustrating. I would only like my Exchange messages to appear in Messages and personal to appear in the other two "inboxes".
Old 11-14-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

"Messages" is a "Catch-All" folder. There's no way to direct some messages to go there and others not to.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
drarmstr

Model: 8700
Default Seperate inboxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-n-atl-ga
I just can't figure out why when I add an email account via TMO's website, the new messages go to the (main) Messages icon not the Yahoo or Gmail icons... It's just frustrating. I would only like my Exchange messages to appear in Messages and personal to appear in the other two "inboxes".
Agree, this is very annoying. Actually, from the Messages you can click "View Folders" -> "Inbox" and then view just the messages sent to your BES inbox! The only problem is that this takes many clicks. Does anyone know of a way to setup a shortcut to get to this folder??
Old 11-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #14
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Set up a custom "search" in your BB, and have it accessed via an ALT-"letter" shortcut.

Put your e-mail address in the "from". Save it.

You should be good.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #15
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcomi
"You can get attachments and personal e-mail. But before you get on the BES you have to remove desktop manager and wipe the device"

1) Wipe the device? Why would that be necessary unless they are capturing everything I do and can't do that unless the BES takes control of the device?

2) I use PDLists, PDToday, and have 3 personal email accounts plus I sync the device to ACT. If I remove the desktop software I won't be able to sync to my contact manager. Is this a normal request by IT in order to be set up?

3) I also got this email "It will not join the BES if you have synced with the desktop software. You will your e-mail on the device sometimes before you get it on your laptop"
1) Yes - 95% of BES admins would do wipe device before adding to a BES if previously used elsewhere. Makes it much more likely that the device will work strainght of the bat. Depending on policy they should let you backup/restore.

2) Does your company BES permit you to run non-authorised s/w on the device? It's possible to turn this off at the BES level

3) seems a bit of an odd email - the desktop software can mangle the service books which then screws things up, but desktop s/w can be used with devices on bES. Yes you may well receive mail on the BB prior to receiving on the desktop.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #16
drarmstr

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle
Set up a custom "search" in your BB, and have it accessed via an ALT-"letter" shortcut.

Put your e-mail address in the "from". Save it.

You should be good.
Sorry.. not quite sure i understand. Wouldn't that just find email that was from me, not to my BES inbox? How do you setup an alt-shortcut anyway?
Closed Thread