Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default C++ Errors - Handheld Config Tool and BlackBerry Manager

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone experienced issues with opening Handheld Configuration Tool and/or BlackBerry Manager (specifically, a user) and it pop up with a C++ application error followed by an NT/Authority notice that the server will be rebooting in 45 seconds...?

Just curious. Running BES 4.0 SP2 for Exchange.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
lhanley

Model: 7730
Carrier: Telstra

yes, I've just done a new install of BES 4.0.3 in an exchange 2003 environment. I deployed 4 users fine (wireless activation), everything was cool. Then later, when adding more users via RDP to the BES server some wierd things started happening in Blackberry Manager. The initial view in Blackberry Manager didn't show the 4 users. 3 more users were added, then Blackberry Manager was closed and opened and all 7 appeared. Then, after setting activation passwords, the Blackberry Manager crashed with a c++ error, followed by a RPC service shutting down timer which then restarted the server.

I thought it might have been something funny with Remote Desktop, so I went to the server console and was looking in user properties when it crashed and re-booted again.

I un-installed and re-installed BES. But the problem was still there, it only seems to happen when I look at user properties in the Blackberry Manager. Otherwise, BES has been stable.

Any ideas? Does RDP break Blackberry Manager?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2005, 12:01 AM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

i wouldn't think so. are you running any other applications on your server? my issue seems to come and go, to be honest. and its only with one server. i've alternatively installed Manager onto my laptop and just administer the accounts remotely for most of my work there. i opened a ticket with TSupport some time ago on the issue, but they were unable to replicate the C++ error w/ the shutdown (although they could replicate the C++ error). they wanted to blame it on the MS Blaster virus (hah) and later on the server configuration itself. i just gave up and had them close the ticket.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:43 AM   #4
lhanley

yeah, when I first saw it, I thought of blaster. It is a clean W2K3 SP1 box dedicated to BB. I think I'll have to install the Manager on the admin users pc's also, if as you say, tech support don't know about this.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2005, 05:29 AM   #5
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

I have experienced some issues with the BM when modifying users or simply accessing any property pages. The errors indicated some type of "RPC error" (can't remember exactly what the event viewer showed) and the result was a shutdown of the BES server. We traced it down to Group Policies that were in place at the time and the service account that's being used. I believe the Local Security Policy section. We made the change and the issue went away.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Thanks dev. I will take a look at our server and see if there are any DGP overriding the local policy. It would make sense, to be perfectly honest.

The issue happens when you access the properties of a user, which spawns the BlackBerry Device Manager (little handheld icon in systray). The spawning of this extra application is typically where I see the error.

lhanley, my issue with RIM even suggesting the Blaster virus is the fact that it was patched over 2.5 years ago by Microsoft. I made it clear that I was running 2003 SP1, which would have been patched against it and all other known RPC worms. Once it was escalated, after the issue had been somewhat replicated, the escalation technician closed the ticket with the same comment (not that he didn't read the ticket). As I said, I finally just didn't care and had them close the ticket.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
lhanley

thanks dev, I'll investigate group policy also. Your symptoms were the same. During the install I had to request the onsite IT staff to grant the BESAdmin service account admin rights on the box, after I had already configured the local policy changes to BESAdmin.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
Jetmans

Model: 7290
Default Same Here

I have 2 Bes servers on 2 different domain with this same issue. I have opened up a trouble ticket with rim regarding this issue and it seems that there is no resolve. They point fingers at microsoft and visa versa. Quick question what permissions did you change? I currently have all recommened permissions set and bbadmin is a local admin and domain user. Any suggestions on the permissions front??
Old 11-15-2005, 09:21 PM   #9
jibi
BlackBerry God

my permissions and Group Policy settings, including Local and Domain policies, are the same between BES servers.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #10
Jetmans

This is for sure a interesting issue. I am managing a total of 4 Bes servers on exchange 2003 and windows server 2003 and only 2 of the 4 have this issue. All the permissions are the same accross all 4 domains. I am currently testing on server out. I have added full administrator rights to the bes admin account and no crash as of yet. I will keep you posted if this fixes this issue.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:53 PM   #11
bbhell

Carrier: Cingular

I'm encountering the same issue as described above on 2 BES out of 4. All Running Windows 2003 Server SP1, Exchange 2003 SP1, BES 4.0 SP2, IBM 346 Servers.

Called RIM tsupport with this issue awhile back and they have two answers so far. It's either the blaster virus or it's a Microsoft issue.

Opened up a case with Microsoft and currently working with them on trying to get some good valid dump logs so they can debug.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:59 PM   #12
jibi
BlackBerry God

Why in the hell would something that causes an RPC crash only happen when you use RIM's software?! Why would they even care to blame it on Blaster? Blaster was an RPC worm from TWO YEARS AGO that does NOT affect Windows Server 2003 SP1! I told them when they said that, first level and second tier, that they were f'n morons who seem to want to pull that out of their arses. ugh! Blaster crashed the RPC service at will - not when a user opened a certain application.

Its NOT a Microsoft issue. Simple as that.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:09 PM   #13
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

What is logged to the Manager log upon crash?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
bbhell

Totally agree with you jibi. I'm frustrated about this issue too. Level 3 tsupport was saying it's blaster, not just Level 1 & 2 support. I'm gonna hold judgement until we can get a clear understanding on what's going on with the code. MS has confirmed, as you mentioned, that Windows Server 2003 SP1 fixes all issues with Blaster and this is NOT a blaster issue. (something we all know already, except tsupport)

As far as the bes logs go, uploaded all of them numerous times to tsupport and it just doesn't give any clue on what's going on. They are pointing to MS because all transactions are going on as normal and then boom, rpc shuts down, and renders everything else useless.

Sounds like one of the earlier posts mentions seeing this issue with BES 4.0 SP3 too.

Still working with MS on trying to get a good dump log. This is proving to be a little more difficult than what we had first anticipated. Will let you know what they find out.

Last edited by bbhell; 11-18-2005 at 12:41 PM..
Old 11-18-2005, 01:52 PM   #15
BBTechGuy

Have both of you checked for the presence of the following Reg Key on your 2003 SP1 boxes yet?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Wind ows Server 2003\SP1\KB823980

Also please check if DEP is enabled at the hardware or software level.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:52 PM   #16
Jetmans

Hi Guys,

Still battling this issue here. I have changed permissions around and i am still recieving the same resault. I have tried to install the patch in KB823980 artical however this patch is included in SP1. BBtechguy what do you mean by DEP enabled?? I have replicated this to the point where i can make it crash 2-3 time per day. Both these servers have over 250 users per and administration is key. It is poor business for RIM to ignor this issue.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #17
bbhell

Found this MS KB about DEP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

I guess it's a setting in the BIOS to turn it off. Will have to check it out.

I don't believe it's a user load issue either because this happens on a server that has 500+ and on a server that has 30 users.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #18
BBTechGuy

DEP can also be enabled to some degree via the O/S even if the hardware doesn't support it.

In Windows you can check the software DEP configuration through the Advanced tab of Performance Options (within System Properties).
Old 11-19-2005, 07:58 PM   #19
Jetmans

Hi Guys,

I have found that DEp was turned on. I have disabled it and i will keep you posted on if this is a fix for this situation.

Cheers Frank
Old 11-22-2005, 02:31 PM   #20
Jetmans

Well. That didnt solve the problem at hand. Any other suggestons. I am going to call rim support once again and open a trouble ticket again and see if we can resolve this.
Closed Thread