Old 06-19-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
xiaofanangel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: 250C44A9
Carrier: Optus
Thumbs up Jstardict-Best BB dictionary software and it's Free

Please Login to Remove!

It seems best support 81 and 83 series, but you can try first.

The best feature is it can add lots of dictionaries whatever you want to the sd card or phone memory.

It is totally free including the program and dictionaries.

So now,go to this website and have a look at the introductions,you will love it.

http://www.teesoft.info/content/cate.../7/35/lang,en/

Last edited by xiaofanangel; 06-19-2008 at 03:45 AM..
Old 06-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

BB 8320, OS 4.2.2.184

The function "Add dict" -> SDcard locks up my BlackBerry and requires me to pull the battery out.

1) Install 0.6.0.1 (latest)
2) put dict files in SDCard/dict/
3) from program, Menu -> Add dict -> SDcard -> OK

Result: the device has a popup "program wants to access SD card, is this OK? [YES / NO]" - and complete lockup. This prompt is normal for my device, this program is unsigned and it always happens with this OS (other programs too, not just this one).

The dicts files I am using are these:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/s...r.bz2?download
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/s...r.bz2?download

They are untar/bzipped into SDcard/dict/ looking like this:

Code:
e2i.dict.dz
e2i.idx
e2i.ifo
i2e.dict.dz
i2e.idx
i2e.ifo
The program locks up my device before I get to shoose a dict to add.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
nightwend

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Don't Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
BB 8320, OS 4.2.2.184

this program is unsigned and it always happens with this OS (other programs too, not just this one).
You can turn the firewall on, so that there will be an option to allow all those access in the prompt. If you check that, then the access prompt will not popup again.
For this app, it will access more then one files when add dict, so that the device will popup more then one access prompt. It's not locked up. If you not always allow the file access, you may need to answer it more then one times.

Last edited by nightwend; 06-19-2008 at 07:58 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
xiaofanangel
Thumbs Must Hurt

yes, you need open firewall first.
another thing is when you add dict, make sure you have the right folder name,otherwise, it cant load the dict.

Last edited by xiaofanangel; 06-20-2008 at 12:42 AM..
Old 06-20-2008, 12:43 AM   #5
xiaofanangel
Thumbs Must Hurt

by the way, u need uncompress the dz file first i think ...

please read the instruction throughly, it works perfectly on my pearl.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwend View Post
It's not locked up.
It's locked up. I cannot scroll to 'Yes' to select that. My keyboard becomes completely dead, nothing works - it truly locks up my device as soon as the prompt appears. Trust me, I know a device lockup when I see one, not new at this stuff.

I've deleted this version, as I'm not messing with my device firewall. Once the app is fixed to play nicely (the JAD file itself is completely broken, I had to rewrite it myself and unzip the CODs) I'll consider taking a look at it then, but for now it's some serious alpha quality code.

Trying to read the docs to get it working is frustrating as well, but I can understand as English not your native laguage that they will take time to finesse. For now, average users will have a lot of problems just trying to find the dictionaries, it took me 15mins of digging on the site. The information on the website is really scattered, not concise, and needs better, more clear installation instructions to include exactly what and where to put dict files.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
nightwend

Quote:
It's locked up.
You are right. It's locked up in some condition. I will fix it in next release.
Quote:
more clear installation instructions to include exactly what and where to put dict files.
A new feature is developing to allow install dict online.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
xiaofanangel
Thumbs Must Hurt

i find when i press ok to browser the path to find the dicts,it hanging my phone..but if i press select, it works fine.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
nightwend

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaofanangel View Post
i find when i press ok to browser the path to find the dicts,it hanging my phone..but if i press select, it works fine.
0.6.1 released, which addressed this issue too.

Now it's rename to TeeDict.

TeeDict (called jStarDict before) 0.6.1 released. This include following changes:
1. Add a welcome page if no dict installed to tell user what to do to add a dict.
2. Allow install dict online
3. Fix some bugs
4. Installer for desktop version
5.Rename to TeeDict

And you can try it online now at:
MicroEmulator
And the application itself can be installed online at:
http://www.teesoft.info/teedict/TeeDictM.jad
Or for blackberry at:
http://www.teesoft.info/teedict/TeeDictBB.jad
Old 06-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
rivviepop

OK now we're getting closer!

The 'get online' initial screen does not work correctly; if you choose 'Misc' then nothing loads under Dicts below. In fact, it seems like if you change the default option (German) to anything else, nothing works anymore to get the dicts online. Even if you change to Misc, then back to German the German is now broken - no Dicts show to choose. It seems very broken. :(

So, I downloaded I2E and E2I (Spanish/English) from here:
http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries_misc.php

...untar/bzipped to <SDCard>/dict/ and then ungzipped i2e.dict.dz and e2i.dict.dz and now it's all finally working. I can look up words, but...

I get many, many, many security popups from my device for reading content from the local SD card that it's very unusable - I have to click 'Yes' maybe 40 or 50 times to use the application! We really need to have this app signed for it to be used on newer devices (the older 4.2.0 and lower OSes don't have all these popups, it's new with OS 4.2.2.x+ -- much more strict security controls).

Thanks, at least it's working! That's a good step. I would make this page on your website at the very top, and make the title:

Q: "Where can I download Dict files?"
A: Here is a list of websites: http://www.teesoft.info/content/view/22/50/lang,en/

Q: "Where do I put downloaded Dict files?"
A: Uncompress the downloaded .tar.bz file with 7-Zip to <SDCard>/dict/ folder on your BlackBerry. Mac and Linux users can use "tar -jxf <file name>" from a Terminal window to uncompress.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
nightwend

Quote:
OK now we're getting closer!

The 'get online' initial screen does not work correctly; if you choose 'Misc' then nothing loads under Dicts below. In fact, it seems like if you change the default option (German) to anything else, nothing works anymore to get the dicts online. Even if you change to Misc, then back to German the German is now broken - no Dicts show to choose. It seems very broken. :(
Maybe out of memory. Some time it failed to load the dicts info online because of out of memory exception. It seems not easy to fix. But I will try to tuning it more.
Quote:
So, I downloaded I2E and E2I (Spanish/English) from here:
StarDict - The best dictionary program in linux and windows

...untar/bzipped to <SDCard>/dict/ and then ungzipped i2e.dict.dz and e2i.dict.dz and now it's all finally working. I can look up words, but...

I get many, many, many security popups from my device for reading content from the local SD card that it's very unusable - I have to click 'Yes' maybe 40 or 50 times to use the application! We really need to have this app signed for it to be used on newer devices (the older 4.2.0 and lower OSes don't have all these popups, it's new with OS 4.2.2.x+ -- much more strict security controls).
If the firewall is on, then you will have an option to allow them all in future. And in our bb, turn the firewall on do not bring any issues.
You can find it in options->security->firewall. I would make a try.
Quote:
Thanks, at least it's working! That's a good step. I would make this page on your website at the very top, and make the title:

Q: "Where can I download Dict files?"
A: Here is a list of websites: http://www.teesoft.info/content/view/22/50/lang,en/

Q: "Where do I put downloaded Dict files?"
A: Uncompress the downloaded .tar.bz file with 7-Zip to <SDCard>/dict/ folder on your BlackBerry. Mac and Linux users can use "tar -jxf <file name>" from a Terminal window to uncompress.
Thanks
I would put it into the welcome page of the application.

Last edited by nightwend; 06-24-2008 at 08:35 PM..
Old 07-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
nightwend

I will update this for v 0.7.0 when I have time.
Closed Thread