Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
myztikal47
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: RAZR
Carrier: Cingular
Default Any GPS software without OTA?

Please Login to Remove!

I just bought a Blackberry 8800 but I don't have any type of data plan for it. Is there any software out that I can use with the built-in GPS that I can run off the memory card instead of OTA? I know google/blackberry maps won't work without OTA, but is there anything that will? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-16-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
HuwSy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

Iv a similar problem, i can get data but its costly, so would prefere to put some maps, even if its just a 100mile section of th uk, to memory card to cutdown data usage. Anyone know of anything?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

search the sections. It looks like there is one new one that is tough to get running and is a bit of a homemade looking one.
Without maps their is one that plots your trip and then you can export the trip to google earth. both are listed in this section and are not too far down but i cannot remember their names.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...lackberry.html

and look at the bbtracker thread bu saua

Last edited by test54; 08-16-2007 at 07:56 AM..
Old 09-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

I wish someone would come up with a good way to do this, for example a download from your computer to an SD card, etc.

The data isn't an issue. But I don't feel quite as comfortable knowing that if I am out in the middle of nowhere with no coverage and I get lost, I can't just put in an address and say "take me there."
Old 09-02-2007, 03:36 AM   #5
HuwSy

well i suppose its taken them a year or 2 to get what they have now, and after a while one of the companies will notice theres a demand for this an will hopefully work out a solution now that theres memory card access in the sdk. Just hope it doesnt take as long, cos i dont wana have to buy a map update for tt again. Maybe someone needs to start a pettition?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: *

Until recently BBs didn't have memory card capabilities. Hence, no support for such an app. Since the 81xx and 88xx series came out with memory card support maybe developers will change things a little, but I still think that buying a BB without getting a dataplan is a silly investment. You basically bought a data pda phone for voice calls only. What's the logic in that?... cuz it looks cool?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:59 AM   #7
HuwSy

Its still internet capable without a dataplan, just no blackberry browser or push email. But over here your looking at on average £10 ($18ish) for a bb data plan then a further £7+ ($12ish) to make it unlimited data instead of 3mb a month. So its rather expensive over an 18 month contract. Not to mention the cheapest sat nav app is $99 on off fee, in total its more than a seporate sat nav system at the moment. It does look as if wayfinder are trying to develop there j2me app to read memory cards for stored maps that can be downloaded from there site for other versions of there software so hopefully soon an hopefully there earth product too at $10 per year
Old 09-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

I have an unlimited data plan - that's not the issue. What I worry about is if I am lost in an area that has no GPRS or EDGE coverage...
Old 09-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

For the topic: There is an OTA download center for the software of Skylab Mobilesystems, so if you are still looking for GPS / mapping for BlackBerry you can check it out

Skylab Mobilesystems Ltd. OTA Download Center
Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #10
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuwSy View Post
Maybe someone needs to start a pettition?
Who would you petition? It's the GPS app developers that need to address this demand. Are any of you that want this bothering to contact Telenav, Garmin, etc etc?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

If there is a demand for the product, some developer will create the application, so sure petition away. Its just that there are so very few people who don't have a data plan with their BB.

It is also logical to think that if they won't shell out $$s for a data plan, they won't shell out $$s for a map subscription either.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #12
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
If there is a demand for the product, some developer will create the application, so sure petition away. Its just that there are so very few people who don't have a data plan with their BB.

It is also logical to think that if they won't shell out $$s for a data plan, they won't shell out $$s for a map subscription either.
I don't think the main problem is not the absence of a data plan (at least it's not for me).

I see several seperate problems with the current solutions:
  • No reliable way to estimate the amount of data transfer necessary
  • You're completely on your own when you loose reception for some reason
  • Very expensive or even impossible to use abroad
  • it's simply seen as a regression to previous (standalone) solutions which worked just fine without a data plan

Last edited by saua; 09-05-2007 at 09:19 AM..
Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saua View Post
I don't think the main problem is not having a data plan (at least it's not for me).

• it's simply seen as a regression to previous (standalone) solutions which worked just fine without a data plan
Thanks, Saua. If you think the main problem is NOT having a data plan, half your points are directed at having such:

#1- There won't be ANY data transfer, without a Data Plan, right? No need to estimate no data.

#2- What reception? The user wants maps without reception.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #14
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by saua View Post
I don't think the main problem is not having a data plan (at least it's not for me).

In regards to your points:

1- every BB plan that I have seen in the USA is unlimited.
2- This is program dependent, I believe telenav caches the entire trip locally.
3- BBmaps works in dozens of countries. International data is certinly expensive but to some extent you have to pay to play. If this a big issue for you stand alone GPS units are rapidly dropping in price.
4- It may be seen that way by some, others view it as an advance over static stand alone solutions in that the content can be constantly updated.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:20 AM   #15
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Thanks, Saua. If you think the main problem is NOT having a data plan, half your points are directed at having such
I wrote that in a way that can easily be misinterpreted.

I didn't mean that the main problem was "not having a data plan", but that the main problem isn't "having a data plan".
Old 09-05-2007, 09:24 AM   #16
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
In regards to your points:

1- every BB plan that I have seen in the USA is unlimited.
In europe I'm seeing several limited data plans.
Quote:
2- This is program dependent, I believe telenav caches the entire trip locally.
... which helps as long as you stay on the calculated course and don't have to take a detour for some reason
Quote:
3- BBmaps works in dozens of countries. International data is certinly expensive but to some extent you have to pay to play. If this a big issue for you stand alone GPS units are rapidly dropping in price.
Of course a stand alone GPS unit is a solution, but I don't see a technical reason that BB GPS apps can't have offline maps.
Quote:
4- It may be seen that way by some, others view it as an advance over static stand alone solutions in that the content can be constantly updated.
Technically it would easily be possible to write hybrid software that can work with offline maps, update them as new data becomes available and even use complete online data, if desired.

My problem with that is that the entire problem is not a technical one (this part isn't to complex for the big companies to handle), but it seems to be buisness decision.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #17
HuwSy

Quote:
This is program dependent, I believe telenav caches the entire trip locally.
What happens when your in the middle of nowhere where theres no reception and you finally come to the admission taht yes you are very very lost. No data reception to even begin getting a route back.

Quote:
every BB plan that I have seen in the USA is unlimited.
All those in the uk are limited at about 4mb a month on average, having so called unlimited plans at a further cost and still being limited just you have to read fine print to findout what at.

Quote:
At about $540 for an 18month contract of "unlimited" data and bb dataplan of which $216 for the unlimited data for the 18 month, i think id rather pay the $216 to have maps offline knowing theyl always be there even if i dont pay the next year. Or if its a one off fee and update whenever then even better Especially as there majoritivly based of teleatlas maps which only update in the uk every 6 months or so, not sure about anywhere else but with almost complete global coverage i cant imagine its that often. Its renting and buying, why rent when you can own.

Quote:
Who would you petition? It's the GPS app developers that need to address this demand. Are any of you that want this bothering to contact Telenav, Garmin, etc etc?
RIM could make a solution potentially, but seems most likely itl be wayfinder with the 1st usable solution seeing as there the only ones working on a j2me based sat nav app that can use maps downloaded of there site, so probably no need to petition at this point, just make sure they know theres a demand.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #18
helfrez
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T
Default Wayfinder downloads

Looking at the website, it looks like you can download up to 20 cities and store them on you phone, on internal memory or on a card. At $99 for a lifetime/transferable license between phones, this is starting to look like the best solution. Has anyone tried out Wayfinder 7, I have a trial email, but I am waiting for a microsd card for my pearl to install it on. I have a i737 that positions fast with google maps and such, but was hoping for a more long term turn-by-turn solution.

Looks like memory cache is adjustable also

Excerpt from FAQ

There are two ways to save maps on your phone:
A. Downloading from MyWayfinder.com:
You can download maps of cities from MyWayfinder.com and transfer them from your PC to your mobile phone via Bluetooth/Infrared or USB-cable. Thereafter, you can install the maps on a memory stick or on the internal memory. The maps do not have to be installed on the same memory as the Wayfinder application.

Note that the possibility to download North American maps from MyWayfinder.com will not be available until the last quarter of 2005.

B. Downloading directly from the Wayfinder server via Internet while you are navigating:
Maps are automatically stored when navigating with the Map View. In Settings > Map tab > Map cache, you can decide how much of the memory you want to use to store maps. When the map cache is full, the maps downloaded first will be removed automatically to be replaced with the most recent downloads.
·
Old 09-09-2007, 12:08 AM   #19
helfrez
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

Always interesting what you find if you actually READ the terms and such before you buy anything. Looks as if there is a bit of confusion on what "lifetime license" means to wayfinder.

If you read the FAQ descriptions you get the following:

Lifetime refers to the lifetime of the phone. This means that you can use Wayfinder for an unlimited time with the same phone on which you initially installed Wayfinder. If you change phones, you will need to buy a new Wayfinder Navigatorxxx8482; package. Note that with the Lifetime service you will use the same software version during the lifetime of the phone, you cannot upgrade to later versions of the software that Wayfinder usually launches twice a year.

Go into a purchase and read the actuals terms and you will find the following.

3.2 The Customer may only install and use the Software on one (1) unit at the same time. Customer may install and use the Software on another unit, only after the Software is uninstalled from the previous unit.

They seem contradict themselves.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #20
HuwSy

Hum... does gmaps ( Mobile GMaps :: View topic - Installation Instructions for MGMaps with stored maps ) work with offline maps as suggested here on any blackberrys?

Or theres one at amazegps.com which has th option like in telenav an all to use arrows only so hopefully doesnt need any data during routing. Still no use if your already lost an out of signal but still.

Last edited by HuwSy; 09-11-2007 at 06:48 PM..
Closed Thread