Old 10-31-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Clssc
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Eastlink
Default BB Classic Latest OS Update Problems

Please Login to Remove!

I updated my Classic OS a couple of days ago and have had nothing but problems since then, specifically with my Blackberry Link on my PC. My BB device takes forever to connect (several minutes) and I was only able to backup my device once. Ever since, after going through "Computing backup data....", I get the message "Backup did not complete. Verify that your device is turned on and connected to Blackberry Link, and try again". The device is connected, and trying again gives the same message every time.
I tried doing a factory reset, and also uninstalling and reinstalling BB Link, but the same thing happens.
Then I tried restoring a previous back-up, but the BB Link hangs up at "Loading the restore software". It seems to be trying, but after 40 minutes I "Cancelled" the operation.
Not being one to give up, I went through the whole operation of uninstalling and resetting again - twice! After the third time I was able to restore a previous backup (not sure why this one worked), but I still cannot backup current data. Also, I can't get BB Link to open automatically when my device is connected, which it should do and always did in the past. And yes, the proper box in Preferences is checked.
I can't help thinking that this is all a problem with the latest OS, which is: OS10.3.3.1435. Any suggestions?
Rolyb
Old 10-31-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: BB Classic Latest OS Update Problems

I posted a while ago the problems I have with Link and OS 10.3.3 update. I have not to date been able to use it without issues. One major issue I have was attempting to do a restore for contact's I lost by deleting the wrong file. Apparently Link does not support Windows 10 and the latest release of Blackberry 10 OS makes it even worse.
this problem started with the upgrade from BB OS 10.2.
10.2.2 worked with Windows 10 without any problems.
Because Blackberry does not support non enterprise cell phone users anymore we are left to deal with issues ourselves.

Possible the next update will fix the application.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 AM   #3
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks tsac. I'll cease looking for a solution and wait for an OS upgrade - and hope it fixes the problem. I finally got the restore to work but for no obvious reason, and that was probably only blind luck and not repeatable.
Rolyb
Old 11-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #4
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Temporary fix. I reinstalled BB Link in "Compatibility Mode" for Windows 7, and was able to do a full backup. I have no reason to believe that it will not work for "restore" as well.
Rolyb
Old 11-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

good Idea, I will try that.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:11 AM   #6
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Running BB Link in Compatibility Mode for Win 7 does not seem to be a solution. It worked twice for me (for "Backup"), then wouldn't, so I re-installed BB Link in the Compatibility Mode for Win 7 again, and then it worked once and I've not been able to make it work again. I tried "troubleshooting" Compatibility Mode, but that didn't help. I've run out of options to try, for the time being.
Rolyb
Old 11-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Is backup the only problem you have with Link now?

For what it's worth, here is my experience. I have been unable to backup since the last OS update, or maybe the one before that. I'm on PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2163 now at any rate, and cannot backup. I get an error about not being able to connect to the device or something like that. But there is a caveat.

I have device encryption enabled. I was troubleshooting something else and turned encryption off. I happened to try a backup at the time and it worked. After I was done with the other problem I enabled encryption again a tried a backup again later. Backup again failed in the same manner.

I prefer to keep encryption enabled. My workaround is to use Ultimate Backup.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #8
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Backup and probably restore. They are the only two of BB Link that I would use.
I don't use encryption, but that doesn't help.
Thanks for your experience - it is not unlike mine. I fear we are out of luck until BB gets off their backside and comes up with an appropriate upgrade to their OS. I'm not hopeful.
Rolyb
Old 11-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

Sadly I do not think Blackberry company will fix this issue. Possibly the new handset company TCL may address the backup issue.
I'm not sure encryption can be disabled on older phones.

Last edited by tsac; 11-02-2017 at 04:52 PM..
Old 11-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

The encryption I mean is what used to be called content protection. On BB10 it is at Settings > Security and Privacy > Encryption and it can be enable/disabled for device and media card independently. A user should be able to set it on or off unless locked by IT Policy.

The way things have been going, partners aren't doing anything with regard to BlackBerry's devices, which makes sense. I wouldn't expect anything more for or from Link, except for things to gradually get worse until it is unusable.

I've read posts on other forums by people who have no trouble with Link, not even backup, and the consistent factor seems to be they did a clean OS load (with autoloader). I have not done that, and I'm holding off until something worse forces me to do it.

I thought of something else.... I believe the OP mentioned something about slow to connect. Not sure if this will be helpful, but I see the device connect to the computer almost right away. But Link takes a very long time to connect and show media. Occasionally Link won't connect at all, as if it doesn't see the device at all, but restarting the device and restarting the computer seem to fix whatever is glitch has occurred.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #11
tsac
BlackBerry God

Agreed,
I think a lot other applications on a computer may be interfering with LINK. I do not have encryption set and still have the problem. Your thoughts on it being something interfering with LINK that a restart seems to fix is logical and I will play around with it to see if I can isolate any specific application that may cause the problem.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

That makes sense to me as BB Link worked for me initially with Win 10 (in Win 7 compatibility mode) twice, then never again. It would appear that BB Link is unable to access the data on the BB unit, so shuts down the backup process. I tried the selective backup and was unable to get past the selection stage. BB Link seemed to think there was no data on the BB which was, of course, quite incorrect. Maybe that helps.
Rolyb
Old 11-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

For me, restarting hasn't solved the backup problem even temporarily. That is consistently broken except that one time I disabled device and media card encryption.

I have other issues that together with other information from the forums really makes me think the backup problem is on the device side and probably would be fixed with a clean OS install. But, as I say, I don't want to do that myself at this point.

However, that said, there are weird problems with Link that people have that other people with similar situations do not have. Before the backup problem with backup Link worked perfectly with Win10 while many others were swearing up and down that Link doesn't work with Win10. It's just a mess that isn't going to get better. Make the best of what you can.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-04-2017, 05:37 AM   #14
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Backup worked fine with Win 10 - consistently, until the very recent BB Classic OS update OS10.3.3.1435. That's when the problems began.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #15
tsac
BlackBerry God

I'm going with the OS10.3.3 update being the culpret.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:36 AM   #16
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree. It has to be. Now to find a way to work around it. I'm not optimistic.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:25 AM   #17
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolyb View Post
I agree. It has to be. Now to find a way to work around it. I'm not optimistic.
.... third party app, such as Ultimate Backup. There's another option in BlackBerry World, but it slips my mind at the moment.

The third party apps cannot backup password keeper. An option, which is automatic, is to set Password Keeper to backup to BlackBerry's cloud. Or you could periodically export the Password Keeper contents and keep the file off-device.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #18
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

The other BB app on Blackberry World for backup is "Backup Pro" ($4.99) which has awful reviews. Ultimate Backup is $3.99 and has good reviews.
I seem to be unable to find a setting for Password Keeper to backup to BlackBerry's cloud.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #19
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Open Password Keeper (BB10) and swipe down from the top of the screen. Open settings. The option and settings for Cloud Synchronization is there. If you don't see that option, then the next question is whether or not there is an IT policy on the device (in the work space, or if the device is work space only).
Old 11-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #20
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

That worked. Thanks Ira. Not sure if I'll use it. I'm old fashioned and always wary of anything personal stored on the net no matter what the security assurances are. That notwithstanding, I imagine that this BB cloud storage is probably safe.
Rolyb
Closed Thread