BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
SmoothOperator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Project: Help Me Switch From My Old 16GB SD Memory Card To A New 128GB Memory Card

Please Login to Remove!

OK, guys, I mentioned in another thread that I may be doing this, so with your help I can pull it off. My 16GB memory card from my old 9900 I had used previously in my old 9700, and I had recently transferred it to my "new" BlackBerry Classic. Until recently it worked just fine, but now I have some problems with a number of my songs disappearing from my memory card and I am running out of space anyway (I have less than 1 GB free space left), so I think it is time to update my memory card and somehow transfer the media from the old to the new.

Before we begin, I want to give you a little background. First of all, I am not so computer-literate, so it would help if you understand that my knowledge of computer jargon is very limited. Secondly, my home computer is very old: it is well over ten years old and it runs on Windows XP--yes, Windows XP. All my music I have loaded on my mobile devices (i.e., Blackberry 9700, 9900 and now Classic, and several iPhones) by syncing with Windows Media Player for my BB devices and iTunes for my iPhones. I don't think the Blackberry Classic works with Windows Media Player, so I may have to find another way to load songs on it. I have not added songs to my devices any other way. Another bit of background information is that I stopped using a tower after I obtained my first tablet, a Chromebook [I am typing on it now to post this].

My first step is to buy a new SD memory card. I did a quick search online and learned that I can use up to 128GB, but I understand that I have to format it first on my computer before my BB Classic can recognize it? Which memory card do you guys recommend for me? After I get my memory card I will ask you guys for my next step. What make and model memory card should I buy?
Old 12-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Project: Help Me Switch From My Old 16GB SD Memory Card To A New 128GB Memory Car

SD cards are all basically the same as far as I know. I would go with cost vs. the hype used by some.

Ok as suggested in the other post , you need to move the files from the SD card to your computer to see what is there or missing.

You can go to a computer store and purchase an SD card and SD card reader for your computer if it does not have a slot for the SD card already built in. I have an old computer and using a reader plugged into the USB port and reading the card then copying the data to a folder on the computer allows me to save what ever is on the SD card.
Once on the computer, you can switch SD cards and copy the files to the new card.

Not all media types will work on all phones. Some will not be able to "read" the file type and it may show as corrupted.
Before you move any files to the new SD card you should format the card.

When you go to the computer store ( Best Buy or what ever is near you) they will show you what is needed to read your SD card and should show you how to move the files.
I would avoid being talked into bringing the computer into them to have them do the work. this can be expensive and you will still be left with no understanding on how to do this.

XP is not so old that it wont work. Your computer should have USB ports unless it was a stripped version.
Using a reader with the card in you should be able to see files. You may also need to download and install a driver to allow the SD card reader to work on the computer. when you buy on make sure it has the ability to work on XP or has software included you can copy to your computer.

This link may help explain how to see the info
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000854.htm

Last edited by tsac; 12-17-2017 at 01:12 PM..
Old 12-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
SmoothOperator

Default Re: Project: Help Me Switch From My Old 16GB SD Memory Card To A New 128GB Memory Car

Can I do the copy and paste on my Chromebook? My Chromebook has two USB ports. Maybe I can copy from one directly to the other? I think Chrome OS is a Linux-based system. Would that be an issue?
Old 12-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Not sure if every Chromebook has the ability to show the SD card in a reader reader but based on the available information on the web, it is possible. Information shown by doing a google search for " can a Chromebook see a usb drive" the info shows it is possible and gives info on how to do it.
Also some Chromebook's have a SD card slot so if yours does it should save you from needing a reader. You should be able to copy the SD drive to your Chromebook drive then move the info back to the new SD card.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
SmoothOperator

OK, well for now I purchased online a 128GB Micro SD card. This is the title of the listing.

SanDisk NEW 64/128GB Ultra A1 Micro SD SDXC Card 100MB/s UHS-I C10 Adapter

Will this work? I hope so!
Old 12-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok the card shows both 64 and 128 GB in the info you sent. The Classic handset will only support 64 GB size Micro SD cards based on the information at Blackberry.com

https://help.blackberry.com/en/black...442914071.html

Based on information on the SanDisk card it comes in two sizes. You need the 64GB size.
The cards will display the size on them . the info line you have is what the sellers show but it is not what you may have received. Hopefully it is a 64gb card

Did you find out if the card will be able to plug into your computer? If so then moving the info from the old card to the new one should be easy.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
SmoothOperator

I have an SD adapter here and my Chromebook has an SD port, so it should work. I am reading in Crackberry that the Classic can support 128GB.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...lassic-993493/

64GB or 128GB?
Old 12-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok if it works. the official BB site states no but sometimes they show old info.
Give it a try.

edit

looked at the link you gave and they are all stating different opinions and one even was offended for someone questioning him.

I would try the card in the phone and save something to make sure it works. Format the card in the phone. Keep in mind if the card does not really support the size you may loose data when it gets beyond the point it can internally support.
the statement the Q10 supports 128GB because it has the same internals is sort of foolish unless the OP works for BB and knows how they are designed. If so then why would BB not show 128 GB on their site.

Anyway give it a try.

Last edited by tsac; 12-19-2017 at 10:04 AM..
Old 12-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
elizabethwmcglone

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Housewife

I have two memory cards one 8 GB and other 32 GB. These Memory Card have been Formating every time but i copied some files from my PC and disconnected and reagain connected with PC. Memory Cards showing the files but not working any files.

OneDayTop has recently posted for TECHNOLOGY : onedaytop.com/microsoft-unveils-new-bing-seek-capabilities/
Old 12-19-2017, 09:23 PM   #10
tsac
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethwmcglone View Post
I have two memory cards one 8 GB and other 32 GB. These Memory Card have been Formating every time but i copied some files from my PC and disconnected and reagain connected with PC. Memory Cards showing the files but not working any files.

OneDayTop has recently posted for TECHNOLOGY : onedaytop.com/microsoft-unveils-new-bing-seek-capabilities/
You need to be a bit clearer with your question. Details on what your trying to do with the cards in what device.

Also giving a web site that has malware and viruses is not a good way to start posting here.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #11
SmoothOperator

OK, the microSD memory card just arrived and I put it in my Blackberry Classic. I am taking no chances with 128GB, so I bought a 64GB microSD (cheap, only $18!). First I shut the device down and removed the old one, and after inserting the new SD card I get a notice from the device. The first message reads, "Downloading the media card driver. Please wait." A minute or so later, a second message comes: "The media card is ready for use." I suppose this is good news, and I don't have to format the card with the device?

It appears the new card works. I went to Settings, then Storage and Access, and it reads, "Device Storage Details: 6.2 GB of 16 GB used," and Media Storage Details reads, "2MB of 59.4 GB used."

Now the next step? I will review the thread and will keep you posted.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok so I would try saving a few items first and see if they save.
Again the old card may have all the files you wanted so at some point you can try moving them to a PC file then using desktop manager or LINK copy them to the phone from the PC.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:18 PM   #13
SmoothOperator

I think I figured . After reading through previous posts, this is what I have done so far. Because I now have no worries about Chromebook's operating system, I am attempting to transfer files using my Chromebook instead of my desk tower.

My Chromebook has an SD port, so I thus need a microSD-to-SD adapter, which I happen to find in some clutter. I don't think a microSD reader is necessary if I can insert my old microSD card in my Chromebook. My Chromebook also has two USB ports, so in addition to the SD (with adapter) card port, I also inserted an external hard drive. I did not have enough memory in my Chromebook to transfer all the contents from my 16GB microSD card, so I instead temporarily stored the content into the external hard drive.

1. In the external hard drive, I created a New Folder. I just titled it, "Blackberry Classic."
2. In the microSD port, I accessed the content and I simply highlighted everything (every folder) and clicked Copy.
3. Went next to the external hard drive, entered the new "Blackberry Classic" folder to find nothing, then right-clicked and selected Paste. All the contents copied to the external hard drive. It took a very long time (about 30 minutes) because I copied nearly 6000 items. It was a good idea to eat dinner while it was copying.
4. After the transfer, I took no chances in malfunction from pulling the microSD card out of the Chromebook, so I shut the power down completely.
5. I pulled out the microSD adapter, pulled out the old microSD memory card and inserted the new microSD card into the adapter.
6. I powered on the Chromebook, inserted again the new microSD adapter and external hard drive.
7. The new microSD card had folders created when I inserted it into the Blackberry Classic, so to avoid any chances of faliures to to double folders, I deleted every folder on the new microSD card before I transferred the content back from the external hard drive to the new microSD card.
8. Instead of Copy and Paste, I instead did a Cut and Paste from the external hard drive. I accessed the hard drive, found the "Blackberry Classic" folder, got inside, selected all folders and did a Cut (not Copy).
9. I went back into the Chromebook and accessed the new microSD card, which had nothing in it (due to deletion), then clicked Paste, which transferred everything from the external hard drive back into the new microSD card. This took a long time also (over 30 minutes), so it was a good idea to shower while I was transferring over.

I will turn on the phone and let you know how well the media transferred over.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:15 AM   #14
SmoothOperator

It works! All the media transferred over without problem. In addition, because I have all this free space the response time to, say, pick a song to play took much faster.

Will there be any possible complications that may result from this transfer?
Old 12-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #15
tsac
BlackBerry God

I would now keep a copy of al the info on the old card ad the computer just in case you run into any issues.
The only caution I would suggest is when adding to the new card be aware of the possible limits and check to see if the data added is actually there when done adding.

Also keep in mind you should still make a backup of the phone.

Glad it al worked , Have fun.
Closed Thread