Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
dglp

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default BIS doesn't like my email server settings

Please Login to Remove!

I'm trying to configure a Blackberry to retrieve mail from an ISP hosted account, but it continually reports that the details I've provided are incorrect - even though the exact same details work perfectly when I use them in a desktop mail client like Thunderbird.

I have no trouble setting up BIS to retrieve mail from a google account - so that should eliminate some lines of troubleshooting. It seems like something between the BIS and the ISP is missing or configured in a way BIS doesn't recognise.

The Blackberry Internet Service site says it wants just four things to set up access:
my User name (e.g. jdoe, though I have also tried username @ domain.com);
Password;
Email server (e.g. mail.domain.com),
and Email address (e.g. username @ domain.com).

However, regardless of what I supply, I get a pop-up saying the information is incorrect. Yet the very same info works for sending and retrieving mail through my T-bird client. That means the hosted mail server is functioning as it should - at least with regard to a standard mail client.

I rang the (T-mobile) phone service tech support - and the fellow there said it was likely to be an issue with my hosting provider.

I contacted the hosting provider, who said their server settings are:
SMTP/POP3/IMAP server: yourdomain.com
Username: valid_email @ yourdomain.com
Password: the password for the above email address
SMTP port: 25 or 2525
POP3 port: 110
IMAP: 143
SMTP authentication: on
SSL authentication: off

This correlates with what the BIS server wants -- aside from there being no way to specify port numbers and SSL -- so there should be no problem negotiating access.

Yet the problem persists. BIS fails to recognise my hosted mail server.
I'm guessing that a) I'm missing something obvious or b) there's some other issue involving the setup that BIS doesn't understand.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by dglp; 05-02-2009 at 02:28 AM..
Old 05-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

If you share actual domain name of ISP, that could be of help for people who may wish to assist you.

There may even be someone who already setup email address from same ISP and can share their experience.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
dglp

It's Siteground. (I can't post links yet.)

I thought the absence of that detail would make no significant difference, as the protocol should be the same regardless. Internet standards and all that....

Last edited by dglp; 05-02-2009 at 08:42 AM..
Old 05-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Might try deleting the account, set it up again and then resend service books.

If that doesn't work, try the battery pull trick.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
dglp

Thanks for those tips Dubdub... but they haven't helped.

I used each of the steps at "How do I resend my service books?": pulling the battery, registering, and resending service books. I tried setting up the email after each. I also turned it off after all those, back on, and tried the account setup again. No change. I'm not sure what you mean by 'deleting the account'. If you mean deleting the account at my ISP, not a chance! However, I have created a new account at the ISP and tried getting access to that - with the same result.

The device registered, and each of the other (four) email accounts I have set up were reactivated as expected.

Further to that, I'm trying the things set out on the BIS help page:
Quote:
The BlackBerry Internet Service supports most common email accounts and access options. However, there may be some situations that can prevent you from setting up your email account with the BlackBerry Internet Service.
Perform the following actions:
1. Verify that you have provided the correct information for your email account.
AFAIK, I have done this.

2. Verify whether your email service provider only allows you to access your email account using a browser on a computer, which might prevent you from adding your email address.
Not applicable - as it doesn't provide access when I use the desktop PC.

3. Verify whether your email service provider requires you to subscribe to a premium email account to set up your email account with the BlackBerry Internet Service.
Not applicable, as I have four other email accounts already working.

4. Verify whether your email service provider requires you to turn on client access (for example, POP) to set up your email account with the BlackBerry Internet Service.
Hmmm. What might this mean?

Last edited by dglp; 05-02-2009 at 11:28 AM..
Old 05-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Well, there is plenty of configuration information on Siteground web site but I see some confusion in there.

Tell me, when entering email server name, do you type mail.yourdomain.com or just yourdomain.com ?
Old 05-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
dglp

mail.siteground.com, and I've also tried variants like pop3.siteground.com and imap.siteground.com
Old 05-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Your ISP should have the instructions for incoming mail server. It can be all sorts of combination and generally peculiar to the site itself.

Here is a link on the set up from the ISP: How to configure Outlook Express with SMTPs

Check one of the user forums here: http://forum.siteground.com/showthread.php?t=894

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Closed Thread