BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
DrumWild
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t
Default Checkbook Program???

Please Login to Remove!

I downloaded a checkbook program by Mobatech (cost $14.95). It seemed to work well. That is, until I updated my OS.

I had to re-install the software, and the data files are nowhere to be found???

Wrote to customer service and the thought I needed to download the software again. I let them know they misunderstood, and that the data file was missing. This is what they wrote back:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not sure how you would retrieve your transactions after upgrading your OS. It sounds like the upgrade process may have removed the application data that is tied to your Java apps (i.e. transactions). This would not be retrievable.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read this! HOW LAME can a program be where the data files get erased every time the OS is updated?

I need to find another checkbook program where the data is actually backed up and can be restored if there is a problem. I will NOT be buying any more Mobatech software.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:28 AM   #2
9balla4life
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Land where Blackburr's grow off trees....not sure yet
Model: 8120
PIN: 24760E78
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild
I downloaded a checkbook program by Mobatech (cost $14.95). It seemed to work well. That is, until I updated my OS.

I had to re-install the software, and the data files are nowhere to be found???

Wrote to customer service and the thought I needed to download the software again. I let them know they misunderstood, and that the data file was missing. This is what they wrote back:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not sure how you would retrieve your transactions after upgrading your OS. It sounds like the upgrade process may have removed the application data that is tied to your Java apps (i.e. transactions). This would not be retrievable.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read this! HOW LAME can a program be where the data files get erased every time the OS is updated?

I need to find another checkbook program where the data is actually backed up and can be restored if there is a problem. I will NOT be buying any more Mobatech software.

Any suggestions?
Assuming that yoiu have CW just log onto cingular.com/db and once you get access the the site you case disput any and every ringtone, games, graphics, and the applications, the works. All you have to do is to click on the item recently purchased and it click on dispute and then state your reason. That system is automated so that receiving credits are much easier.

I had that MOBILE CHKBOOK as well and when I upgrade my OS it wiped it out and then I went online and disputted the charges and got my money back to dl again. Hope this helps.
Currently using 8100 Pearl.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
DrumWild

I have T-Mobile, but this is actually 3rd party software.

The update is that Handango said they'd give Mobatech 3 days to develop a fix for the problem. If that doesn't happen, I'll get a refund.

Mobatech said they are the ONLY company that makes a checkbook program.. as if I believe THAT! I found another one that costs $6.50 instead of $14.95, AND it has a free demo to download... try before buy... it's called "eCheckRegister."

I'd like to hear if anyone is using anything that is free or inexpensive.

And I do NOT want to lose my data!!! (will the BB godz hear me?)
Old 07-25-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

http://www.wisespent.com/ is another.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:25 PM   #5
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Backup your data using desktop. I have had several instances of loosing stuff when upgrading or installing (specially if you load using javaloader, the next time you use the desktop manager to install anything else you loose anything installed via javaloader) if you loose it you can restore it. Problem solved.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 07-26-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
saldous
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830

You should always backup before doing an upgrade.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild
The update is that Handango said they'd give Mobatech 3 days to develop a fix for the problem. If that doesn't happen, I'll get a refund.
I agree with the other guys. Blaming Mobatech for your losing of data when upgrading the OS is not exactly their fault. The procedure for upgrading a handheld's OS actually removes every bit of data on the handheld, so keep that in mind.

Now, there could be an issue with restoring said data as well, from one version of an OS to another, and I could see that as being a fixable problem. However, if they were to determine that your issue was caused by the overwriting of the data and your negligence of doing a proper backup and restore of the application data, then you should simply chalk this one up to mistake and experience.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:19 PM   #8
DrumWild

A backup was performed with Intellisync... unless that's not a backup. It could be my fault, as I'm used to using Palm devices, where you SYNCHRONIZE and everything is backed up (and can be restored). I didn't want to think that BB would be more complicated, since it's marketed toward business people, but I could be wrong there.

Mobatech said: "Please refund this customer as the backup functionality he is looking for is not currently in place on BlackBerry devices."

OK, I'll admit that I'm a NOOB (see my signature line). Please tell me how I back up my data from programs installed on the BB7100t so that it can be restored at a later date.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:03 PM   #9
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Its very simple. Open your desktop manager, Got to the icon labeled Backup and Restore, choose Backup and then point it to the directory you want it saved. The manager will remember that location and in the event of a restore or a new backup it will direct you to it. The backups are named by date and when a new one is added the old one is not overwritten since the name differs. I keep the older ones just in case something goes wrong with the current backup at worst I can go to an older one and try again, if that one works i only need to worry about re-installing whatever one file is missing. Hope this helps you.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 07-26-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
DrumWild

Thanks for the note about Backup and Restore.

It doesn't back up the OS as well?

I looked at the backup and it appears that you can selective restore, so that's good. Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:25 AM   #11
DrumWild

Update:

Decided to test this and see if it works.

1. Installed program.
2. Created an account in the program.
3. Did a BACKUP
4. Deleted the program from the 7100t
5. Reset the device

Then,

1. Went to Backup and Restore
2. Selected "Advanced"

Could not find a file that was identifiable as being related to "Mobile Checkbook" in the Desktop File Databases. That's not only the database, but the program as well.

There has got to be a way to back this up so that the actual files can be found.
Closed Thread