BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Megkins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default AT&T doesn't replace the battery, only the entire handset?

Please Login to Remove!

I have a week old Bold (I had one before for about a year) and the battery on this one drains extremely fast. It will go completely dead in under 8 hours. I have the latest OS, no apps are running in the background (besides the ones that have to--I keep checking by pulling up app switcher), and I don't have low memory. I know this isn't right because I've had a Bold before and it would last for 2 or 3 days. I am borrowing my friend's battery to see if this really is the issue, BUT in the meantime I called my rep (because my phone was ordered through work) and asked if they could replace the battery. He claims they can't just replace the battery, that they will only replace the whole handset since they can't be sure the battery is the problem.

Will AT&T really only replace the entire device and battery, and not just replace the battery?

If I do determine the battery is the problem I guess I'll just have to buy one myself (which is messed up because it's brand new), or if there is a bigger problem I am pretty screwed because I replaced my trackball with a black one so the phone has been opened which I guess voids the warranty.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
miamirulz29
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: N/A

Well you could change back to the black trackball as long as the sticker on the screw is still intact. Also, I have heard that when att replaces a handset, they replace everything except the back cover, atleast that is the way it was with the pearl.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Megkins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well...the sticker is not intact unfortunately. It seems so stupid that replacing a trackball (hardware) would void your warranty for a software issue. I feel so stupid right now. I just never had a problem before, and was way too excited to install my trackball. I figured the battery was draining quick at first cuz I was messing around with it so much, but now that it's been a few days and I am not using it much and the battery is still draining I am realizing there is a problem. I totally screwed myself.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
miamirulz29

Well you could just get a new battery.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Megkins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes, if that's the problem, but as time goes on while testing my friend's battery I am feeling like it is still losing it's charge quicker than it should. This may not be a battery issue. I haven't decided yet if it is...
Old 10-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Megkins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Um...yeah it's official. I am using my friend's battery and I still have the issue. I can't believe this is happening lol
Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
jzarowitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

you can replace just the battery at an att warranty center...i did that for my bold in the philly area in may... just the battery. alternatively, you can perform a dishonest act by cheating the system and purchase a battery at an att store and repackage the old one and return to a different att store.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Megkins
Thumbs Must Hurt

I like how you think lol. I actually called my AT&T store and they said they don't sell batteries. Good to know about the warranty center. Unfortunately this doesn't seem like a battery issue anymore though. This is very sad and I feel so stupid.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
miamirulz29

Are you positive there aren't any background apps. Also, try reinstalling the os or updating to the latest os and see if that solves the problem.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
Megkins
Thumbs Must Hurt

I do have the latest os, but i guess i could try reinstalling. And yes I am sure on the apps, I've been checking app switcher to make sure, UNLESS (and this is the only difference from the last time I had a Bold) having two email addresses set up receiving messages all day would do it. I used the gmail app on my last Bold, not the email setup provided on the phone. If this is what is draining it then maybe it's not a problem, but it seems like my coworkers who receive email all day also don't have the battery issues I do.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
lagreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Megkins,

I doubt your addition of two e-mail accounts has anything to do with battery drain issue. I use 4 accounts and beejive in the background and the battery still lasts over a day almost 2 days sometimes during very light use.

I checked the sticker and it looks like a small plastic or paper sticker. Can't you just make one from white sticker and stick it at this location? Just a thought, not sure how to go about punching the exact size.

Blackberry Bold on AT&T : 5.0.0.411
Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
Megkins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the help lagreat. I may have resorted to that if I had to--worth a try lol but I have great news. Odd news, but great news, although I'm trying not to get too excited, yet! I had to give my friend her battery back so I switched my "bad" one back in, gave it a full charge, and low and behold the entire day it's been staying at full! I did read somewhere on here that people said leaving the battery out for overnight or quite a few hours fixed their issue but I really didn't think that was going to solve mine. I hope it stays this way!!!! I don't get it, but whatever!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I had my battery replaced under warranty at my local corporate AT&T store less than a week ago. No muss...no fuss. They just pulled a battery out of the retail packaging...and we swapped. No hassle at all.

I would call a couple of stores near where you live and ask them if they would replace the battery for you. I bet you can find one that will.

Edit: Sorry...didn't read post where you said you had already gotten another battery. Glad you got one. Carry on...

Last edited by davistld01; 10-21-2009 at 10:49 PM..
Closed Thread