BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default VICTORY! T-Mobile Ports NOW OPEN! (3rd Party Internet Apps!)

Please Login to Remove!

BlackBerry Users Win T-Mobile VICTORY!
Newsflash: PORTS ARE OPEN!

Who Benefits: Non-BES users on T-Mobile who wants to run MDS software (Internet TCP/IP stack) without needing to get BES just for themselves.

Good news! The ports are now open!

http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=3405

Quote:
T-Mobile Opens Blocked Blackberry Ports
Last December T-Mobile Blackberry users on a WAP connection may have noticed that their 3rd party programs stopped communicating with the internet. Things like their favourite Instant Messenger program stopped working because T-Mobile blocked any applications other than e-mail and the Blackberry Browser to stop working. They have finally fixed the issue and users should now be able to surf as normal. The issue was first caused by a billing issue, took them awhile but we are glad to have it resolved.

We have now confirmed this by using Idokorro’s Mobile SSH program to telnet into our hosting server.
Quote:
Sent: Feb 10, 2005 6:02 PM
Subject: Daily News Wire - February 10 - BlackBerry Customers Gain Capability to Browse Open Internet

Sales Communications would like you to be aware of this article:
Daily News Wire - February 10 - BlackBerry Customers Gain Capability to Browse Open Internet Last Modified on: Feb 10, 2005 by: Liz Fong

BREAKING NEWS! BlackBerry Customers Gain Capability to Browse Open Internet

Effective February 9, BlackBerry customers can Get More from T-Mobile by gaining open Internet capabilities and access to all Internet services when they use their WAP APN.

New functionality

Blackberry customers who are on current and grandfathered BlackBerry service plans will gain access to the open Internet, allowing them freedom to browse the Internet without restrictions.
Quote:
Bratag Wrote:
I can confirm this midpssh now working again - Nice job everyone who hassled T-Mobile constantly for this and good work T-Mobile for listening to you customers (eventually)
Quote:
Vinnet Wrote:
UPDATE!!!

Applications that I needed BES to work now work with OS 4 and TMO opening ports. Microsky did not work on 3.7 but now I am able to connect to the server and download astronomy data.

I will try other applications and other like me should do the same. Report back what works not, like chat (blackchat), telnet, etc.

Vinnie
Quote:
Destinyschild Wrote:
all of the sudden my weather comes up on BBtoday - will try the laptop connection tonight and post results... (BWC 4.0) TMO)
As of FEB 11th, so far, so good, 100% of BlackBerryOS 4.0 users (up to now) are now confirming OPEN PORTS FOR BLACKBERRY! Victory for T-Mobile users!
Old 02-11-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

IMPORTANT:
New Configuration Instructions Required!

Make sure you are already Running BlackBerryOS 3.8 or later. If not, please upgrade to BlackBerryOS 4.0. If you are using a 7100/7290 user you are already ready. If you are a 7230/7730 user, you must download and install BlackBerryOS 4.0 first.

T-Mobile now needs to configure their BlackBerry:
Tools->APN (or Options->APN)
  • APN: wap.voicestream.com
  • Username: Your T-Mobile Username
  • Password: Your T-Mobile Password
Then you must reboot your BlackBerry. The above instructions are derived from the updated version of:If all the above fails, even after you reboot, call your T-Mobile representative and get "wap.voicestream.com" added. It should now be a relatively simple procedure, now that a memo has been distributed to all T-Mobile Sales employees, that the Internet feature now exists on BlackBerry. Most BlackBerry accounts should automatically be upgraded. However, if you have not called T-Mobile after February 11th, 2005, please call T-Mobile again and ask them to get "wap.voicestream.com" Internet Access Point name added to your account.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
Skeetro

Default it works, it works

I managed to get the laptop to connect via the blackberry; although the weather portion of the bbtoday program still indicates the could not open tunnel error. ill try again in the tcp options and keep everybody appraised.

This is the best posting site ever!
Old 02-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
anhloc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: 205A9DBD

*has the end of Return of the Jedi going on*

Hooray. I don't use T-Mobile, but regardless, this is a moral victory.

Now if Rogers can get off their high horse and get a better data plan for Mark and I... :D
Old 02-14-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
shorty
Knows Where the Search Button Is

This started working for me last week. Interestingly, this morning when I looked at my BB I had an Activation message from T-Mobile and, lo and behold, I could view JPGs that were attached to my email messages. No, I don't have BES nor am I subscribed to another service like MyBlueberry.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
shorty

Oh, and yes, I'm on 4.0.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:17 PM   #7
goldbergs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130g
Carrier: Cincinatti Bell Wireless CBW
Default gone

I had it working this weekend - but all of a sudden it is GONE - is it possible they opened it by acccident - and not shut it down??
Old 02-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #8
vinniet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

I have not entered my user id and password as outlined above and have had no problems.

Also I have tried MidpSSH and low and behold a SuSE logon screen. That is beautiful on sight on my BB.

Thanks for a great site to get Blackberry information!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:03 AM   #9
tritone900

Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t

Do I understand correctly that now that the ports have been opened, I can now view jpg's as email attachements (assuming I'm running the handheld os4.0 software?) Sounds like shorty has this working witout the use of a third party BES service.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:31 AM   #10
nrivas

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

I was able to receive email attachments on my 7100t as well. I was able to open GIF, JPG, PDF, and DOC attachments on my BB. Other third-party apps still don't seem to connect thru the TCP stack though.

Currently using OS 4.0.0.198 on Tmobile and BWC.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #11
shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone900
Do I understand correctly that now that the ports have been opened, I can now view jpg's as email attachements (assuming I'm running the handheld os4.0 software?)
I don't think the opened ports have anything to do with the ability to view attachments. I think TMO just implemented both things at the same time. I don't know, though ... maybe someone closer to TMO could answer this?

Quote:
Sounds like shorty has this working witout the use of a third party BES service.
That is correct.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #12
pcm2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I'll bite. What is "my T-Mobile username and password"? Password for what exactly? BWC? My T-Mobile? Something else?

Also, I have not been able to download JPEGs with 4.0 -- it seems to give me the option, but when I go to try it tells me "Couldn't get more."
Old 02-16-2005, 02:12 AM   #13
tritone900

Carrier: at&t

Yes - it would be great if someone could weigh in on this. I was under the impression that T-Mobile's implementation of BWC client had to be version 4.0 before you could view image email attachments. Is this right? I am told that if I use a third party BES like myblueberry, I would be able to view them. But is this true if I am just using the T-Mobile BWC? I think I'm getting this straight in my head, but maybe not...
Old 02-16-2005, 11:06 AM   #14
shorty

I didn't have to enter a username or password. All I had to do was set wap.voicestream.com as my APN.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:10 AM   #15
shorty

Oh, sorry, didn't see that last post. I've been able to download and view JPGs and all I use is the BWC you get with the TMO service. This wasn't the case 2 weeks ago. I don't know if this new capability is the result of a change on TMO's side or the fact that I've upgraded the OS in my handset to 4.0.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #16
ajstan99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Yes - it would be great if someone could weigh in on this. I was under the impression that T-Mobile's implementation of BWC client had to be version 4.0 before you could view image email attachments. Is this right? I am told that if I use a third party BES like myblueberry, I would be able to view them. But is this true if I am just using the T-Mobile BWC? I think I'm getting this straight in my head, but maybe not...
I am using 4.0 Handheld Software and Desktop Manager with the Desktop Redirector and can only view attachments (including JPG) if I forward the messages to my @tmo.blackberry.net e-mail account.

Also, I can use my 7100t as a modem if I set the APN to wap.voicestream.com and leave the username and password blank.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:01 PM   #17
bbcurious

Model: 8300
Carrier: tmobile

Picture attachment can be viewed with 3.8 or 4.0 software on any color BlackBerry using BWC (BIS). They will update all BWC(BIS) accounts by the 19th of February. They started on the 12th. At least for US and Canada BWC (BIS) accounts.
The TCP has nothing to do with being able to view those attachments. Picture Attachment viewing is only working for BWC (BIS) accounts. Not BES or Redirector. In order to view picture attachments on a BES, you must be using BES 4.0.

So my question is, Can I run any MDS program now, as long as I have APN: wap.voicestream.com
entered?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #18
woogs
Thumbs Must Hurt

What user name and password do I use for the APN settings? It is not working with a blank user name and password, so I assume I need one.

I tried the user name and password I have for tmobile.com for my billing, and also the Blackberry.net one and neither work.

Tmobile Blackberry support is clueless. They have no idea what I am talking about and say they do not support it.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:26 AM   #19
craigme

Carrier: TMOB

Well I had everything working for a couple of days -- Tonight I got a new registration message from Blackberry/T-Mobile and now none of my apps work anymore... I'm getting ready to throw in the towel - Such a great device with so many carrier related problems... What a shame - RIM is really onto something w/ the 7100 series - too bad TMOB is killing it.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #20
beth16

Model: 8700g

Excuse my ignorance - but I havent been on here in a while... I have the 7100 T. I am a US T-mobile user.
I am running OS 3.8.0.112. Havent upgraded to 4.0 as I am an apple user and I have no easy way to do so, and until today I hadnt seen any reason to.
I do not see this APN anywhere?? You are saying under tools it will be listed??
I cannot find it.. if anyone can help Id appreciate it.
Thanks so much