BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
RochesterBBUser
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular
Question Voice Dialing Issue - Any Ideas?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello:

Not sure if this is peculiar to the 8800, but this is at least where I am seeing it. And yes, I have tried to do some searching on this forum, on the web, and I have talked to Cingular (always fun).

Anyway...

I am trying to figure out how to use the Voice Dialing app/functionality that came natively on the 8800. The directions are pretty sparse, but it also does not look super complicated to run. Well, so I think. Basically, I go into the icon for Voice Dialing. It seems to function, but it only seems to show a very small subset of the address book entries. If I choose to voice dial one of the three or so people who actually show up - it works fine. If I try to dial some number by speaking the digits into the phone - it works fine. So, the basic app seems to work well out of the box - with no voice training.

But obviously, I need to be able to have access to all the people entered into the address book. It is almost as if the voice dial app has not scanned the address book completely or it just can't "see" them all. I do not see any menu option within the Voice Dialing app itself, nor do I see any menu items in the address book that would lead me to believe that there is any function where I can add an entry to be available to the Voice Dialing app.

Hopefully my explanation makes sense. Does anyone have any idea what my be happening here?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
atomicfission92

Model: 8800c
PIN: 23fcb167

The first couple times I used that app it would flawlessly. But for some reason now it just dials this one contact no matter what i say. I am not really sure why either.

I am still trying to figure out the quirks to it though but if I find anything out I will report back.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

The only suggestion I can make is to be sure you say the name exactly as it is shown in the address book. If you have "last name,first name" say it that way. Also, if you use a title (Mr.,Mrs.) make sure you use it. I have to say "Doe, Mister John on Mobile".

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Be certain that the numbers you want to voicedial are stored on the phone memory and not the SIM card.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
RochesterBBUser

Model: 7290
Default Solved

So, it looks like I am an idiot. Feel free to disagree with me - if you would like. LOL.

In my testing, I was not using the correct names from the address book (just as one of the posters mentioned). For example, I was using just my first name instead of the way it is actually listed in the address book, which uses my first and then last name. Once I figured that challenging one out (ouch), all worked quite well. I have my wife test it also. Seems to work quite nicely.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I just need 1.) a new brain 2.) more sleep 3.) less sleep. LOL.
Closed Thread