PDA

View Full Version : Auto e-mail open

RoNNY
01-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Hello everyone.
I did some searching before posting, and couldn't find an answer.

I want to disable the feature that automatically opens my newly-received e-mail message, once I take my device out of the holster.

I simply want to see my message list instead, or whatever last screen I was in.

Any idea how can this be done?

Thanks

-Ronny

Inphektion
01-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Mine doesn't auto email open (how I like it too) but I'm not sure what I did to make it that way. I can guess that it may have been a side effect of hiding the message icon from the home screen. I hit "m" to get to messages.

MobileAGBell
01-26-2006, 04:18 PM
I've found that if I wait a few minutes before removing my 8700 from the holster (when the in-the-holster mode works), my newly-received e-mail does not auto open. Not a very good solution, I know. I'm still looking for the option to change it.

Seattle18
01-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Mine doesn't auto email open (how I like it too) but I'm not sure what I did to make it that way. I can guess that it may have been a side effect of hiding the message icon from the home screen. I hit "m" to get to messages.
This can't be true. I tried your method, and I still get the auto-open. If you wait about 15-20 seconds before you take it out of the holster it will not auto-open, but I am pretty sure that is the only option.

saldous
01-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Mine doesn't auto open mail either. I've not configured this, it never has done this. You must have changed something!

Seattle18
01-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Mine doesn't auto open mail either. I've not configured this, it never has done this. You must have changed something!
Hold on a second. Let's get this straight. Are you sayng that when you receive an email, and your 8700 is IN THE HOLSTER, and you take the 8700 out of your holster within 15 seconds, your inbox does NOT automatically open and show the email you just received? It has to - that's the only way the 8700 works, unless there is something I am missing. I have read other threads about this and everyone is in agreement - it is not changeable on the 8700. I think you either wait more than 15 seconds, or you are not using a holster with a sleeper function magnet in it.

RoNNY
01-26-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a modifyable feature.

-RoNNY

Seattle18
01-26-2006, 04:54 PM

-RoNNY
I'm pretty sure it is not...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=11906&highlight=email+auto+open

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4877&highlight=message+holster

RoNNY
01-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Seems like despite your arrogance you are right.
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/7925/8142/What_Is_-_Time_a_message_is_opened_automatically_when_device_is_in_the_holster.html?nodeid=1163994&vernum=2

-RoNNY

Seattle18
01-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Seems like despite your arrogance you are right.
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/7925/8142/What_Is_-_Time_a_message_is_opened_automatically_when_device_is_in_the_holster.html?nodeid=1163994&vernum=2

-RoNNY
It may have come across as arrogance, but that's not what I intended - sorry. I just felt confident in this issue. Re-read my posts and see if you really think I am being arrogant.

stevew
01-26-2006, 07:07 PM

-RoNNY

It's not

RoNNY
01-26-2006, 09:42 PM
OK. I'm sorry too.

-RoNNY

peznut
01-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Don't know if this is relevant, but I noticed with my old 7290 that if I left either my message-list screen on and/or a specific SMS showing to which I'd replied, an SMS reply opened automatically when I receive it. I'm not sure of the exact BB state that caused this, but I do know it happened numerous times because I'd notice a reply pop up and that message was already displayed.

This usually happened when I was driving, so I was inattentive to both the road and my BB (yeah, I'm bad). Can't say I've seen this on my 8700 yet, however...

jaBBu
02-24-2006, 10:05 AM
I have a user here that also has an 8700 that will not auto open messages when he takes the unit out of the holster. Our Wireless provider said it was a defective unit and sent a (brand new) replacement, but when it reloaded the settings (via our BES), the same problem is back.

For others who have had the problem; what Theme are you using and are there any programs you have downloaded to your BB (I am wondering if there is some kind of coding conflict??)

Thanks ....J

RickCharles
02-24-2006, 04:22 PM
It is probably because the device does not go to sleep in the holster, I.e. defective holster or holster w/o a magnet.

jaBBu
02-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. I thought that maybe it was how it was being handled or user interface issues also. So I borrowed his 8700 and used my holster to test different options and same results. (my 8700 works fine in and out of holster).

My suspicion is one of the few programs he has added on to his BB. He has added a few games, askmenow and googlemobile (all of which I have on my BB). The only difference is a weather icon on his BB. I was thinking about removing each program one at a time and testing that??

Any other ideas or suggestions... Thanks J

Liv
02-24-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure it is not...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=11906&highlight=email+auto+open

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4877&highlight=message+holster

Ha ha...you are so mean Seattle. :razz: Tsk Tsk ;-)

jaBBu
02-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks LIV, I have seen both threads already and althought they don't want this to work, I do want it to work. Don't ask me how or why, but for this person, something in his BB settings or conflicting software he does not open messages when he takes the BB out of the holster. I have tested this with my sending a message and as soon as the BB vibrates, out of the holster it flys but still no open message.

If we manage to figure this out, then we could post it as a hack for those that don't want it. Trouble is what causes this????

Thanks ..... J

jaBBu
04-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Hi all,
I said I would follow up when I found out what the cause was on this problem. After many support calls and loud complaints, we were sent a replacement unit and that resolved the problem. We finally determined that the old unit was defective by doing a simple test. We help the BB unit up and reversed the holster and ran the magnet by the bottom of the unit. Normally it will react as if it was in the holster and the screen will shutoff to save power. In this case the unit would never shutoff. One thing the user neglected to mention was that he was getting lousy battery life and was recharging the unit every day (hint, hint). Thanks to all who replied...8-)

backbeat
04-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Still, there must be a default registry setting which opens the newly received email once the unit is taken out of the holster. Therefore, it's reasonable that a proper registry edit could be made to disallow this and simply open your Inbox list instead. That would certainly be my preference. (y)

ebgreen
04-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Pretty sure that there isn't a registry on the device (why muck up a working system with that nightmare) and the registry on your computer has no settings that are device configurable.

RickCharles
04-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi all,
I said I would follow up when I found out what the cause was on this problem. After many support calls and loud complaints, we were sent a replacement unit and that resolved the problem. We finally determined that the old unit was defective by doing a simple test. We help the BB unit up and reversed the holster and ran the magnet by the bottom of the unit. Normally it will react as if it was in the holster and the screen will shutoff to save power. In this case the unit would never shutoff. One thing the user neglected to mention was that he was getting lousy battery life and was recharging the unit every day (hint, hint). Thanks to all who replied...8-)

H'mmm....sounds like my original diagnosis was correct: "It is probably because the device does not go to sleep in the holster..."

triggster
07-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Could this be a hidden conspiracy from the provider that they would like to collect every single bytes charge to users for get the unit to auto open the emails once it gets out from the holster? It is obvious that the email downloads more bytes once you open the email. I could be 100% wrong about this info, so don't believe what I just said. It's just a thought that just passed in my head after reading this topic.

As for holster, the holster (magnetic ones) only shuts the screen off and locks the keyboard temporarily.

Does anyone have different firmware or everyone's on 4.1?

my solution for this is change the ring to phone only and just check the unit whenever I feel like it (eg, after driving) or on one beep for email notification.

wiredwrx
09-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Mine just stopped working a day or so ago. BUT, when I put it in the holster, the light goes out, and when I take it out of the holster, the light turns on, but the mailbox/message does not open.

Cingular, what have you done to my BB.

Michael

bbhscott
06-27-2007, 07:25 PM
OK, I can only speak for me...but I have had this 8700 for about a month..and just today it is auto opening emails when I take it out of the holster immed. upon hearing the notification...and yea, when I wait it doesnt do that..but it did not do it before..the only thing I did differently was install Opera mini and blackberry messenger...I since deleted them but no change..so those who say it has to h appen...well it didnt...anyone similar?...