I am looking for a good alternative

Lotus Organizer
Lotus Notes
Act 2006

are all listed what is the best iyho

thanks

twharms
06-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What exacly are you trying to sync? Are you just looking to backup your handheld? If so then you need nothing but the desktop manager

twharms
06-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What exacly are you trying to sync? Are you just looking to backup your handheld? If so then you need nothing but the desktop manager

ketoman
06-04-2006, 03:02 PM
i am looking to sync all
contact info
notes
calender
task
email is already linked via forwarding to and from other accounts

whsbuss
06-04-2006, 06:44 PM
i am looking to sync all
contact info
notes
calender
task
email is already linked via forwarding to and from other accounts

Intellisync is part of the Destop Manager. So it will sync Act and Lotus Notes.

NJBlackBerry
06-04-2006, 06:47 PM
And Organizer...

OP - do you have you calender, notes, contacts stored anywhere now?

ketoman
06-04-2006, 07:16 PM
i use mozzila firefox, thunderbird, sunbird for calender app on windows and evolution on the linux side of things. I am a total non microsoft user, if I did not need the Cad/Cam packages for my work I would never use windows
I was looking at Notes but do not need server type of setup so I thought Organizer would do, but it seems like organizer is not really updated anymore. I also looked at Act 2006 but all say it is big & slow. So I was wondering what all on this site use, with very few replies I fear all are MS sheep

NJBlackBerry
06-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Just because you disagree with the majority of computer users - and the VAST majority of business users, we are not all sheep.

At least we can use our BlackBerrys properly.

ketoman
06-04-2006, 07:31 PM
That was not said to insult you, you use blackberry for the technology advantage, so you problbly are not just satisfied, if all were satisfied with what is currently in use then there is no need to improve. so we would still be stuck with palm devises. I use alot of MS apps that for too many years have gone stagnant, with little or no change. If MS put more effort into the security of Outlook than in licensing, I would problably use it.

NJBlackBerry
06-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Remember - the core customer base of the BlackBerry is the business, government and military customers. Not folks using Linux and the Mac OS (just ask our friends in the Mac OS forum). So they market to the products their customers are using. And they are using Outlook, Notes and Groupwise.

ketoman
06-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Our core business sure, albeit small around $6.5 million a year, runs on a Linux/UNIX variant as does most US goverment agencies (US military, NSA, DOD, IRS), banks, and most of Europe, China, and South America. MS Windows does run on the desktop only because Unix/Linux has always been for big business and not the little guy, or home system. the very software to run this site written mostly using pearl was developed for cross platform use. If MS did not have the brillance to package outlook or outlook express with every MS pc would it still be the most widely used software ?. Yes I do appreciate the marketing excellance MS has. They are by far and away one of the best marketing agents ever in existence, if not the best. I am sorry for the long winded reply I know you are busy. Just what alternative to Outlook, out of the software BB syncs with is best.
Thank You

NJBlackBerry
06-04-2006, 08:25 PM
But it IS the most widely used software, no matter how much the Linux guys argue about it. I know how popular Linux is; we use it for a lot of processing. But not for general business use. Microsoft owns that market. It's simple economics.

The bigger problem (for Linux users) is that Desktop Manager runs only on Windows, and the built in Intellisync only syncs with a handful of PIMs. Check out Lotus Organizer. Not sure what platforms that runs on.

Winston S.
06-04-2006, 08:26 PM

It looks like from other posts that the OP does not use Outlook or Notes or anything for his/her e-mail. The OP is looking for the best program to sync with the blackberry since s/he uses Thunderbird as his/her e-mail client. I don't think desktop manager is of any use if you don't have a program to sync the blackberry with.

ketoman
06-04-2006, 08:39 PM
My Linux software is already linked with the blackberry that was easy because all the software is free.
I am only trying to sync with windows and if I am paying for the software, I want, what in many peoples opinions is the best. Since we do not use MS office we do not have Outlook. So any software we use with BB will have to purchased, hence the reason to find the best, I realize most on this site use Outlook, because you most likely already were using it. But if you did not have it, what would you use? Judging from the number of views others are interested in the answer as well.
Thanks again for any input

Winston S.
06-04-2006, 08:44 PM
I haven't really gotten into Outlook yet as I really liked using the Palm Desktop with my Sony Clie, but at the moment I prefer using Lotus Notes as that is what I use at work. Whether it's the best or not I guess that's up to your personal preference.

ketoman
06-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Thank You

bigdaadio
06-04-2006, 09:26 PM
The inks not even dry on your membership to this forum and your calling us MS sheep how baaaaaa-aaaa dare you?

ketoman
06-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Sorry to do that to you guys, but I was getting no response otherwise, I have now sparked some thought. It seems that some questions just get no answers when asked in straight simple terms. What do you use? There are alot of Windows users who do not use Outlook. Many use web mail, netscape, mozzila, opera, eudora etc.. so when it comes to this sync issue what happens when a person uses these other programs. Also the guys at BB read these threads and may develope alternative syncing formats

NJBlackBerry
06-04-2006, 09:46 PM
You got answers. You just didn't like them. Lotus Notes was suggested, as was Lotus Organizer.

You haven't sparked any thought - don't give this thread that much credit.

This comes us from time to time. Check out the Mac Users Corner. They are in the same boat.

ketoman
06-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Yes they were suggested, each once,and one by a none user of the product. I was hoping for more user opinions, I also thanked them for their opinions. What you seem to take offense to is, that I use multiple operating systems, windows for some things and Linux for most others, because I tried Linux and I liked it, I made a choice and did not just use what I was being led to use. And I don't know about being in the same boat as mac users, because the bb is usable with linux with new software coming out every day. it only seems to be windows that I need a solution for. By the way the mac os is an excellant operating system I wish them well in their quest. Again I am sorry for upsetting your evening, and I thank you for the input that you have given.

MarkARichards
06-06-2006, 08:53 PM
So I use SUSE Linux 100% of the time and I have no issues with my 8700c and not many complaints other than not having access in the SDK to build a USB driver that will allow my Linux box to actually charge my BB via USB, but that is another topic and issue.

As for E-mail, why not look at Novell GroupWise ? It can run 100% on Linux servers (SUSE Linux Servers included with GroupWise ) and even has a Linux / Mac / Web and Windows client. As a matter of fact you can even get a "free" BES server and 5 cals for just owning GroupWise.

If you ask me, that is a complete solution that is Linux friendly

Forgot to say that GroupWise even supports Evolution e-mail client natively.....

HuwSy
06-07-2006, 02:51 AM
Asside from the attacking windows and linux here when we all know unix variants have, what was it at last count, about 85% of the server market and many governments swiching there workstation terminals to linux iv seen 1st hand recently.

Back to the real issue of this post, what are peoples oppinions of different windows solutions in relation to ther price too, as some of us dont have anything to sync with just yet.

Also is ther anything free that would work? other than evolution when it finishes getting ported over and someone ports a sync conduit.