PDA

View Full Version : 8700r not re-connecting to EDGE

soesraider
07-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi All,

I have searched and haven't found anyone with this specfic problem, so thought I'd post:

It seems the 8700 isn't re-connecting to "EDGE" when it loses a signal - it dropes to "edge" (for whatever reason) and stays there. I've contacted Rogers twice on the issue, someone else I know with an 8700r also has the problem (halfway across the country, and at different times than mine).

Rogers' solution is that the OS became "corrupt" somehow, and I should uninstall and reinstall the handheld and desktop software. I bought that the first time, but after a couple more signal drops and failed reconnects, that clearly isn't the solution. I have to turn the device off and back on in order for it to reconnect to "EDGE", and then all my emails, PINs and BBerry Messenger PINs come through in a flood.

This renders the device basically useless to me. I pay for "push" technology - I shouldn't have to check every 5 minutes to see if the screen says "edge" or "EDGE".

Does anyone know if there's something I can do to fix this, or do I have to keep hounding Rogers until I find a tech who knows what he's talking about?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, or directions you can point me in.

-SR

8700r
BIS

514HH
07-30-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm having the exact same issue with Rogers. Their CS reps have told me it is due to the upgrade and fixes to BIS 2.0 which causes RIM's servers to be inaccessible at certain points while being worked on and another time they told me I may be stepping out of coverage area (not likely as I'm always at full EDGE reception and never had issues in my area).

Whatever the case, I agree with you, it's frustrating and needs to be resolved asap.

If you're notified of a solution or the cause, please post.

soesraider
07-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Yes, they tried to give me that same reason - that I had stepped out of coverage range.

But that doesn't explain why it shouldn't re-connect once I get back into network range - something for which the Rogers tech had no explanation. It also doesn't explain the 2 times it's happened since where it was working fine, sitting at my desk, and then stopped working and didnt' reconnect, all while *still* sitting at my desk. then I restarted the device, and it connected fine. Never stood up once, but somehow I managed to step out of the network range. The tech tried to say that somehow, service must have dropped while I sat there. But he still had no explanation for why it shouldn't have just quietly and automatically reconnected itself to EDGE.

SR
8700r / BIS

meezerbean
07-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Yes, they tried to give me that same reason - that I had stepped out of coverage range.

But that doesn't explain why it shouldn't re-connect once I get back into network range - something for which the Rogers tech had no explanation. It also doesn't explain the 2 times it's happened since where it was working fine, sitting at my desk, and then stopped working and didnt' reconnect, all while *still* sitting at my desk. then I restarted the device, and it connected fine. Never stood up once, but somehow I managed to step out of the network range. The tech tried to say that somehow, service must have dropped while I sat there. But he still had no explanation for why it shouldn't have just quietly and automatically reconnected itself to EDGE.

SR
8700r / BIS

There are "lots and lots" of threads on this. It is a known 8700 issue. Do a search on "8700 network issue" and you will see what I mean.

-James

soesraider
08-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks *very* much, James! I had searched, but my search criteria were obviously wrong.

At least I know I'm not alone - still no real way to fix it per se, but now I know it's not just Rogers, or not just a defective device.

Thanks again! :)

SR
8700r / BIS

PS: how ironic that with *this* post, I've graduated from "New Member" to "Knows Where the Search Button Is" LMAO :D