PDA

View Full Version : Will 7130e "wake" into a call while tethered

deadlyap1
09-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi, and 1st off great forum. I am considering getting a 7130e from Sprint to use for phone and EVDO service with my laptop. One thing is making me hesitate though... I need to know if the phone will still ring upon being called while it is tethered with the laptop and online. Can someone help me? The Sprint people had no idea on this one. thanks

AnthroMatt
09-09-2006, 06:37 AM
I do not think that the phone is capable of receiving calls while in an active data session.

deadlyap1
09-09-2006, 06:54 AM
I went ahead and got the 7130e because my curiosity got the better of me.
I was previously using a Sprint mobile broadband PC card for internet access on my laptop. Using the BB as my internet connection was a big part of this switch so that I could eliminate one more thing in my list of tech toys (the PC card). Anyway, I tethered the BB and got online easily. Then I started testing with incoming calls:

Basicaly it is very simple, if the phone is actively transfering data, the call will go straight to voicemail. If the connection is idle (whether on 1x or EVDO) you will most likely get the call. I say most likely because I only tried this a few times on each system.

I also observed that when I left myself a voicemail I was notified by the BB almost instantly when on the EVDO network. This was not the case while on the 1x network where I was notified after severing the tether.

jwolf7722
09-09-2006, 07:53 AM
My calls go straight to voicemail while the device is being used as a modem. Sometimes a message does come through but not very often.

eppey
09-09-2006, 11:09 AM
On my Bell 7130 I will get calls most of the time, even when data is transferring. My guess is that your experience will vary depending upon internet use and carrier.

Pentarus
09-11-2006, 12:48 PM
On my Bell 7130 I will get calls most of the time, even when data is transferring. My guess is that your experience will vary depending upon internet use and carrier.

Same here... I use the 7130e on the Bell Mobility Network and I always (at least no one has ever reported not being able to reach me) get calls while tethering...

packetknife
09-11-2006, 01:23 PM
My Verizon 7130e with the latest software drops my data for a call nearly 100% of the time. The only time it didn't was in the middle of a large download but my regular usage (e.g. email, some web, etc.) always gets cut off. -Pk

fulltimers
09-11-2006, 01:31 PM
I have a 7130e with verizon and have no trouble receiving calls when using it tethered to my puter. I receive the calls whether I am receiving data or not and have never been "kicked off" while on the phone. This is one reason I enjoy it so much because I can talk and use my puter at the same time.

penguin3107
09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
I have a 7130e with verizon and have no trouble receiving calls when using it tethered to my puter. I receive the calls whether I am receiving data or not and have never been "kicked off" while on the phone. This is one reason I enjoy it so much because I can talk and use my puter at the same time.

The data transmission is suspended when you're on a voice call.
It is not possible to transmit/receive data on a Verizon 7130e while on a voice call.
If you say that you can do this... you're mistaken.

nbudros
09-11-2006, 03:43 PM
I have a 7130e from Alltell, it wont drop my calls when browsing the net on the blackberry, if i installed the BB OS from verizion on my alltell phone would it totaly mess everything up? or would it update it to a version were i can recieve calls? Or should i just get the newest version OS from some provider?

deadlyap1
09-11-2006, 08:38 PM
In the past couple of days I have also noticed that even when sending/reciving data, I am able to get calls. When this happens, data transmission is apparently paused and resumes immediatly after ending the call. For example, if I am opeing a large html page on the laptop and only half the page has shown when a call comes in, the page halts its load. Then as soon as I hang up, the page finishes loading fully.

I have still missed a few calls while surfing. I dont know if this is while being on a 1X service or EVDO. More testing needed.

I would also be interested to know whether those who posted above about getting 100% calls are doing to get online. Are you using the method outlined on the FAQ, or using the Sprint PCS program? Also, how if your EVDO service there? 100% of the time on EVDO or otherwise? Thanks

fulltimers
09-12-2006, 08:06 AM
penguin3107

Originally Posted by fulltimers

The data transmission is suspended when you're on a voice call.
It is not possible to transmit/receive data on a Verizon 7130e while on a voice call.
If you say that you can do this... you're mistaken.
I hate to disagree with you....but I am not mistaken about this. I don't know if maybe you mean you can't receive data on the bb itself or on the laptop, but after reading your reply I had my hubby call my bb from another cell phone while I was tethered to my laptop and was able to talk on my bb while receiving data on my laptop and it worked just fine.:smile:

penguin3107
09-12-2006, 08:37 AM
I hate to disagree with you....but I am not mistaken about this. I don't know if maybe you mean you can't receive data on the bb itself or on the laptop, but after reading your reply I had my hubby call my bb from another cell phone while I was tethered to my laptop and was able to talk on my bb while receiving data on my laptop and it worked just fine.:smile:

Look, you're wrong.
The Blackberry handles voice and data very well. It's a "smart" device.
If you're tethered and using data while a voice call comes in to your Blackberry... the data is suspended. You may not be disconnected... but the data is definitely PAUSED while you are the voice call. As soon as you hang up the voice call, the data resumes where it left off.

If you really think that you're transmitting/receiving data while talking on the phone... then you have the single most unique blackberry device on the planet. You can do what no one else in the world can do. You must be a very special person indeed.

edcrack
09-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Can anyone tell me if the 7130 charges via the usb cable while its connected to the computer?

penguin3107
09-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Can anyone tell me if the 7130 charges via the usb cable while its connected to the computer?

It does.
Also, it's bad form to hijack someone elses thread.

tommyboy
09-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I have a 7130e from Alltell, it wont drop my calls when browsing the net on the blackberry, if i installed the BB OS from verizion on my alltell phone would it totaly mess everything up? or would it update it to a version were i can recieve calls? Or should i just get the newest version OS from some provider?

If you dont mind, could you send me a link to instructions as to how you have your 7130e tethered on alltel's network. I am still receiving a data credit because alltel tech support cant get me tethering capability. Thanks. Sorry about the jack but I have been searching for info on this alltel 7130e issue since I got it 2 months ago.