PDA

View Full Version : "Data Connection Refused"

ScOObydoo
09-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Flew back home today, in MSP my Berry was just fine, and recieved emails up to a few minutes before departure, now I am back home, and when I turned the berry back on I get "Data Connection Refused"...

An outage or an account issue? FWIW, it's the Chicagoland area...

kirson
09-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Try to reset -- remove and replace the battery, and see if it straightens out...

ScOObydoo
09-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Try to reset -- remove and replace the battery, and see if it straightens out...

Yeps, tried it all... Time to call T-mobile I guess...

eradis
09-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Data connection refused usually means the SIM card has no data plan with it ( i.e. something happened to the data portion of the account).

he_bat
09-16-2005, 05:02 AM
My handheld received emails but I could not send any reply nor a new message.
The error message on the display is "Service Blocked"
Can anybody help me with this

confused_one
09-19-2005, 04:17 PM
RE: "data connection refused". I get this occasionaly when i pass thru an area that there is not data service. sometimes the BB fails to link back up. It is solved on mine by simply turnong off the wireless settting and then turning it back on. No need to remvoe the battery.

good luck

greywolfe
09-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Got lower case gprs on the device? That usually means the blackberry service isnt active on the sim.

jbsherry
10-20-2005, 12:39 PM
One my of my users reported this message while traveling in Europe. My other users reported that mail to the traveler was bouncing. Turned out his Exchange mailbox was full. After I made space for him, he no longer got the error message "Data Connection Refused".

Yet one more possibility for this error.

stonent
10-21-2005, 05:15 PM
One my of my users reported this message while traveling in Europe. My other users reported that mail to the traveler was bouncing. Turned out his Exchange mailbox was full. After I made space for him, he no longer got the error message "Data Connection Refused".

Yet one more possibility for this error.

You should have been a good little BOFH and forced the ungrateful person to delete mail or move stuff to a PST.

http://2ni2.com/emoticon/special/botando.gif

joedw00
02-06-2006, 04:18 PM
I have a unlocked 7100T, using Cingular,and just use it for a phone right now. I get the Data connection refused. It will show Cingular GPRS, and not the Data Connection Refused for a few seconds when I turn the wireless off then back on, then it goes back to Data Connection Refused gprs. I find it anoying to see the Data Connection Refused. Is there any way to not have it show up?

NJBlackBerry
02-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Nope; Data Connection Refused will always show up if you have a GPRS capable SIM card and no BlackBerry Data Plan. No way to change it.

joedw00
02-06-2006, 07:56 PM
OK thanks. That is what I figured.

BBAdmin
02-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Sometimes when a user returns from roaming, the device has trouble authenticating all the services on the line with the carrier. In instances where the old reboot doesn't help you sometimes need to perform a maual roam on to another carrier, and then roam back to your main carrier which will force the line to apply all the services again. I have this quite a bit with roamed users.

rsmiley
03-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Hey guys I was getting the data connection refused on my phone also and have figured out how to make it stop if you have a data plan. My problem and I am sure others is that t-mobile may not be the dominant cell company in the area. In the SE it is Cingular and my phone kept automatically selecting their network to run off of. This connection was refusing the connection. So next time when you see your phone saying t-mobile as network stop what you are doing and go into options screen. Click on network and select manual. It will then ask to find networks to choose from and say yes. Then select the T-mobile option. This will make your phone seek out t-mobile networks first then if none are available it will jump onto another network. Hope this helps!!

coldkillerpol
03-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey it did work, thanks for the tip.

Richard Williams
04-14-2006, 03:37 PM
I am using an unlocked 8700c on the Digicel carrier in Barbados, Caribbean and am getting the same message, 'data connection refused'. Digicel do offer Blackberry but not the 8700 just yet. What can I do to obtain a BlackBerry Data Plan?
Any input appreciated.
RRW

IDEA RicH
06-24-2006, 05:54 AM
I'm using unlock 7100t from t-mobile. Updated to OS 4.1.0.309. While traveling I obtained GPRS enabled SIM from local Provider. Provided APN but still getting "Data Connection Refused". The same SIM works with Nokia N70. The operator does not offer BES.
IR

NJBlackBerry
06-24-2006, 06:19 AM
You MUST have the BlackBerry Data Plan enabled on the account. Not plain GPRS. Without a BlackBerry Data Plan, your will have voice and data. Putting in the APN does nothing without a BlackBerry Data Plan.

New-bold
07-04-2006, 11:09 AM
I am also new to Blackberry and wanted to try the device before commiting my team to it. So I bought an unlocked new 7290 on E-Bay. When I got it, it had no service books and no browser. I installed mini-opera and then found I was still unable to browse the web. I have spent several hours looking over BBs and have understood the following

1) There seems to be a lack of consistency in experience...some people with unlocked devices that have assigned themselves to a network claim to just be able to set the APN and then get working.

2) Others claim the above doesn't work.

So now I am confused. I see it stated that you need a contract to get working on GPRS...but the cellular provider has no clue about your device type...I can take the same SIM and put it in WM5, Palm, Nokia and it works for GPRS. So I conclude the issue is with the Device. I am gradually understanding that Service Books dictate what a phone can do. Without the Service Book you can't use the Service. The Service Books are issued by RIM to the Service Provider. Hence no contract, no service book and no ability to get GPRS working!

Is my analysis correct. Is there a Service Book for Internet or GPRS ? Does anyone have an overview of the Blackberry device architecture ?

NJBlackBerry
07-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Welcome to BBForums.

It's simple - without a specific BlackBerry Data Plan, you will not get the Service Books pushed down. It's not a device issue. Unlocked or locked, you have to have a BlackBerry Data Plan. The GPRS and Internet plans don't work on a BB.

Without a BlackBerry Data Plan, all you'll ever get is voice and SMS.

Jacinta2030
07-10-2006, 03:46 PM
I've had a data plan for over a year now never any problems with email and all of a sudden 2 days ago I stopped receiving emails on my blackberry. Txt is okay, but no email. I turned wireless and handheld on/off several times, took out battery, SIM card...yet still nothing.
I came into work today, connected it via USB and went through all settings...still nothing.

Getting ready to call network carrier but dealing with them is a pain!

Any other suggestions?

oh, and I too have the "gprs" next to my signal strength area on the handheld.

MikesTechSvcs
07-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I wonder..

I would first check with your carrier. Normally when a Blackberry goes into that lower case 'gprs' mode, that means the settings are not proper on the account side. They need to refresh the network and possibly check into the Data settings for your BB.

I had a similar issue like that back when I initially got with a Blackberry and Data Plan. The rep from Cingular Data Support didn't know what the heezey he was doing.. so I Called back an hour later. Got someone who knew it and got the problem fixed. Running smoothly for the last 4 months now. :)

Good Luck!

- MTS

Jacinta2030
07-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Sure enough, when I called my carrier Cincinnati Bell, my data plan had been blocked just recently.

We added my daughter to my plan 2 days ago (when the problem started)...and the goofballs added her, but turned off the data plan on my blackberry.

Problem solved but a pain in the arse.

DHPress
07-12-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm having the same issues in the Chicagoland Area....spoke to Verizon Wireless techs and they said there were "no outages in this area"...this first happened on Sunday.....Monday and Tuesday everything was fine....now today I'm getting that same error message......I'm ready to use this device as a doorstop...

Any other suggestions?

David

stoxx
07-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Having the same problem here in Vancouver BC. Spoke to rogers and they said it was a RIM issue and are trying to fix it

pebblewrestler
07-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Having the same problem here in Toronto, Ontario. Spoke to Rogers to confirm data outage is nation wide

Huntsmiester
07-12-2006, 10:48 AM
I am experiencing this problem today? I recieved email till around 10:30 am EST then I get the DATA CONNECTION REFUSED

Are others experiencing this problem?

Hatchy
07-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Toronto, Ontario. Rogers says it's a Canada-wide GPRS issue, all devices affected. I do have users in Boston who are also out!

CanuckBB
07-12-2006, 11:23 AM
There is an outage. It has to be RIM because my US users are also down.

ezacarias
07-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Mine was down a couple of hours this morning, having Data Connection Refused and low case gprs showing up. It's up now and I have a GPRS caps registered on the phone now.

Hatchy
07-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Must be RIM, have users in NJ, Boston and California all out.

BBSpike
07-12-2006, 11:58 AM
It appears to be intermittent. I am in London, Ontario and just a minute ago, while it still said "Data Connection Refused" 2 emails came in. Hopefully they fix this soon!!

BBSpike
07-12-2006, 12:06 PM
I am now back to GPRS and everything seems to be working fine........hopefully it stays that way!!

Huntsmiester
07-12-2006, 12:22 PM
I am in London also but no luck with mine?
I can still get my mail throuh the Blackberry webclient.

BBSpike
07-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Right after I posted that, my connection dropped, and just as I am writing this an email came through........go figure.

weebl
07-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Service was out in Edmonton this morning, too on Rogers. I have GPRS showing on the screen now, but the e-mails on my BlackBerry are far behind what's on my desktop computer. They seem to be trickling in at random intervals.

CanuckBB
07-12-2006, 01:37 PM
It'll be a while before it settles. North America dark for a couple of hours. How many pending messages need to flow through the RIM servers right now?????

juwaack68
07-12-2006, 02:02 PM
I received the following update from Rogers:

**Update** As of 7/12/2006 2:00 PM (EST) The root cause has been identified as a fiber cut on the Allstream network. Rogers and Allstream technicians have re-routed traffic and subscribers are progressively re-connecting to the network. Blackberry customers will experience delays in receiving messages until the back log is cleared

Sounds like the cut fiber may have affected more than Canada.....

coreyg510
07-12-2006, 02:05 PM
gives new meaning to the phrase "hanging on by a thread"

rezahabib
10-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Your tip (below) was of great help at the right time!!

I joined this forum just to tell you that.

Thank you

Best regards,

Reza Habib

Sometimes when a user returns from roaming, the device has trouble authenticating all the services on the line with the carrier. In instances where the old reboot doesn't help you sometimes need to perform a maual roam on to another carrier, and then roam back to your main carrier which will force the line to apply all the services again. I have this quite a bit with roamed users.

GMisenar
10-20-2006, 12:13 PM
I spoke to a technician at Verizon, who indicated that the phone needs to be re-activated on a regular basis (monthly). By doing so it downloads all of the most recent policy changes and service information. I travelled between various carriers during the day and would receive the "Data Conneciton Refused" at least daily. After running their re-activation program I have had no problems.
To run the program, go to the phone feature and dial *228. A voice is heard (press 2) and the new programming is downloaded. The Blackberry is reset and a message indicating it was successful.
It seems like a huge burdon to do this (we support quite a few units) although something that may need to be done occassionally if the service is to work properly.
This is Verizon - check with your provider for their process.

mwdraper
10-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Hey guys I was getting the data connection refused on my phone also and have figured out how to make it stop if you have a data plan. My problem and I am sure others is that t-mobile may not be the dominant cell company in the area. In the SE it is Cingular and my phone kept automatically selecting their network to run off of. This connection was refusing the connection. So next time when you see your phone saying t-mobile as network stop what you are doing and go into options screen. Click on network and select manual. It will then ask to find networks to choose from and say yes. Then select the T-mobile option. This will make your phone seek out t-mobile networks first then if none are available it will jump onto another network. Hope this helps!!

fairhsa
04-01-2007, 06:13 PM
I've had data connection refused since I got back from a trip to Hong Kong - its driving me nuts. I'm HOME so there is no reason why the d**n thing shouldnt work! And there is only ONE blackberry network in NZ!

stonent
04-01-2007, 07:31 PM
I've had data connection refused since I got back from a trip to Hong Kong - its driving me nuts. I'm HOME so there is no reason why the d**n thing shouldnt work! And there is only ONE blackberry network in NZ!

Usually pulling the battery will fix that. Along with going to the host routing table in the advanced options and re-registering.

Bizman
07-25-2007, 07:02 PM
In Hong Kong and based in Australia. On Vodafone network. Got the 'data connection refused' message. Tried everything - power off/on, wireless off/on, remove/replace battery, manual scan, change networks, switch from 3G to 2G, etc. Called Vodafone in the end and the tech apologized indicating that they were upgrading their network and I would have to wait for a few hours. Well, as I write this and in less than an hour the service came back up and I got all my emails. Hope this helps and good luck!

klprophett
08-01-2007, 02:05 PM
i recently purchased a BlackBerry Pearl from my carrier Cincinnati Bell. All was fine with my phone initially. It said Cincinnati Bell at the top of my phone with "EDGE" in the upper right corner. Then all of a sudden it said data connection refused Monday(7/31/07) after I disconnected it from my desktop PC. I dont have a data plan and I dont plan to get one. I just want to use the Pearl for typical things such as Calling other people, sending SMS messages, and sending and receiving Multimedia Picture messages. I can browse the wap.gocbw.com internet just fine which is what I want to do. But i cannot send any picture messages nor can I receive them. Is this something that I need to talk to my carrier about? Or is this something I can fix myself through the phone?

crazydude
08-01-2007, 02:12 PM
i recently purchased a BlackBerry Pearl from my carrier Cincinnati Bell. All was fine with my phone initially. It said Cincinnati Bell at the top of my phone with "EDGE" in the upper right corner. Then all of a sudden it said data connection refused Monday(7/31/07) after I disconnected it from my desktop PC. I dont have a data plan and I dont plan to get one. I just want to use the Pearl for typical things such as Calling other people, sending SMS messages, and sending and receiving Multimedia Picture messages. I can browse the wap.gocbw.com internet just fine which is what I want to do. But i cannot send any picture messages nor can I receive them. Is this something that I need to talk to my carrier about? Or is this something I can fix myself through the phone?

MMS uses data, so I guess you get data or you out of luck

you can turn off "data connection refused" by going to
Options >> Mobile Network and turn Data Services to OFF.

hope this helps

shadowscream
08-20-2007, 05:06 PM
RE: "data connection refused". I get this occasionaly when i pass thru an area that there is not data service. sometimes the BB fails to link back up. It is solved on mine by simply turnong off the wireless settting and then turning it back on. No need to remvoe the battery.

good luck

hi the same happened to me i bought a phone off a seller on amazon it was a vodafone handset so i got a vodofone sim card on pay as u go as i couldnt afford the service plan at the time anyway i installed the new sim setup a swipe card to top up etc then turned the phone on and got Data connection refused so i tried everything else txt phonecalls etc and that was all fine
just couldnt fingure the data message that is until i came across your website and as u said i swithed the phone radio transmitter off for a few seconds then back on and bingo the data message changed to a Vodafone network message and everything is now workine thanks again i hope other people find the same when they try this handy tip