PDA

View Full Version : Name this app and GPRS on Nextel?

dyzs
06-03-2005, 12:39 AM
In season 3 episode 20 on CSI Miami there are a few shots of an application called wireless chat. What app is this really?

Secondly, how can a Nextel BB show GPRS? I thought Nextel uses iDen like Telus. Can someone please clarfiy?

NaturalHigh
06-03-2005, 01:09 AM
I seen the same episode and was wondering the same thing?????

ck99a
06-03-2005, 01:27 AM
Haven't seen the episode, but there's a good chance it's fabricated. A lot of tv shows or movies that need to display something on a pda or phone screen will actually bluescreen the device and then just use editing to fill in the graphic they need. The reason being that most phones and pda screens are simply too dark to properly show up on camera. The audience can't read what's on them, and the camera has a hard time focusing on the screen itself.

You can't tell from the photos you posted but if that IS a nextel blackberry as you suggested, yet it's displaying GPRS on the screen, then this is definately doctored in some way.

Dawg
06-03-2005, 04:53 AM
if you will notice there is not a radio antena on top of the phone so it isnt a nextel phone.

rta53
06-03-2005, 06:07 AM
In season 3 episode 20 on CSI Miami there are a few shots of an application called wireless chat. What app is this really?

Secondly, how can a Nextel BB show GPRS? I thought Nextel uses iDen like Telus. Can someone please clarfiy?

Um, it's called pretending and acting, whether it involves people or things.

harryzuluberries
06-03-2005, 09:36 AM
maybe i can shed some light on this.......i am an editor and if you look closely at the upper and lower parts of the graphic image on the lcd of the blackberry, at the edges where the image meets the black outline, there is aliasing. definately a doctored image. when you watch tv and see someone on tv looking at a monitor or television, many times the images are inserted and for the reason that ck99a stated.

jbairdjr
06-03-2005, 09:37 AM
The episode in question was about "toothing" and that was what the software was supposed to be (a bluetooth chat program).
What was even more intersting, the lab tech managed to fabricate an antenna and make the range of Bluetooth 5 miles.
Programs like CSI initially displayed the science in a somewhat reasonable way. Now, they have made it so far fetched that it is laughable to anyone in the business (like myself).

pcnetgeek
06-03-2005, 09:46 AM
have to admit to that application looks pretty cool if it had an iface that

dyzs
06-03-2005, 11:08 AM
maybe i can shed some light on this.......i am an editor and if you look closely at the upper and lower parts of the graphic image on the lcd of the blackberry, at the edges where the image meets the black outline, there is aliasing. definately a doctored image. when you watch tv and see someone on tv looking at a monitor or television, many times the images are inserted and for the reason that ck99a stated.

The reason there seems to be aliasing is because this is a screenshot from a computer which was then cropped to focus on the BB.

dyzs
06-03-2005, 11:36 AM
if you will notice there is not a radio antena on top of the phone so it isnt a nextel phone.

Here are some screenshots of the BB showing the antenna. It is a definitely a Nextel BB. The last two are after the BB has been modified for the extended range bluetooth antenna so you can see both antennas.

dyzs
06-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know what this chat application is called? Where to download it?

Dawg
06-03-2005, 11:44 AM
I stand corrected then its definatly doctored since it says NXTL in the upper right corner not GPRS

jbairdjr
06-03-2005, 12:25 PM
This chat application does not exist. It was made up for the CSI episode.
See also:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6803&highlight=toothing