BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   GPS Antenna Not working (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=233909)

darrenmott 08-19-2010 09:41 AM

GPS Antenna Not working

Hey y'all, it doesnt seem as if my gps antenna is working. whenever i open google maps or point and try to get a location fix, it searches for a long long looooonnnnggg time and still doesnt pick up a location even while i'm standing in the middle of no where with not a building or tree in sight.

any suggestions on how i can test this issue or resolve it?

Dubdub 08-19-2010 09:47 AM

What troubleshooting steps have you taken?

Have you tried a battery pull?

darrenmott 08-20-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1643803)
What troubleshooting steps have you taken?

Have you tried a battery pull?

i've done battery pulls, reloaded the OS, updated and tried various software that uses the GPS antenna. nothing works

samnyemba 08-29-2010 04:48 PM

Sorry, does it show your aproximate location (from cell tower triangulation) or even that it does not show either?

A) If it is not even showing your approximate location then do this
In Google Maps select Menu -> Help -> Settings -> Enable My Location (You will need to scroll down to see the Settings)

B) If it is showing your approximate location (already or coz you did the above) then do this:
1. Have on Location services On:
Options -> Advanced Services -> GPS -> GPS Services = Location ON
2. Instantiate GPS satellites outdoors in an open place:
Options -> Advanced Services -> GPS -> Menu -> Refresh GPS.
3. If your bearings are refreshed then go back to Google Maps and press 0 (Zero).

Hopefully this helps

darrenmott 08-30-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samnyemba (Post 1648499)
Sorry, does it show your aproximate location (from cell tower triangulation) or even that it does not show either?

In Google Maps select Menu -> Help -> Settings -> Enable My Location (You will need to scroll down to see the Settings)

B) If it is showing your approximate location (already or coz you did the above) then do this:
3. If your bearings are refreshed then go back to Google Maps and press 0 (Zero).

Hopefully this helps

ok i tried the google thing... it doesnt show an approximate location either. as for going to Options -> Advanced Services -> GPS - i dnt see the GPS option but instead i c location services. Anyway inside location services - i have Location ON.
Does it matter i dont see the GPS option instead?

samnyemba 08-30-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrenmott (Post 1648823)
location services - i have Location ON.
Does it matter i dont see the GPS option instead?

No it does not matter. Now proceed to the succeeding steps 2. and 3., selecting what ever matches most closely.

darrenmott 08-30-2010 03:16 PM

didnt see nothing about refreshing gps. but i've stood outside for near 10 mins without a gps signal

samnyemba 08-30-2010 04:00 PM

Options -> Advanced Services -> GPS -> Menu (ie press the menu button and a menu pops up and select the) ->Refresh GPS. The menu button is the one that has the Blackberry sign. I doubt just standing outside will activate the GPS. Try doing it again even on a balcony/veranda or by the window. When GPS is activated the bearings (latitude & longitude) , a fix time, no of satelites and an accuracy are shown.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

darrenmott 08-30-2010 04:10 PM

when i hit the blackberry button the only options i see are save, show keyboard, switch application and close... any other ideas?

darrenmott 08-30-2010 04:13 PM

i'm running os v5.0.0.419

samnyemba 08-30-2010 04:19 PM

On 2nd thought try using BB Maps to activate your GPS for the 1st time.
In BB Maps:
- Find location -> Where I Am.
Or
- Start GPS Navigation. (Sometimes u just have to Stop GPS Navigation and re-Start GPS Navigation again until it finds satelites)
When either of the above works then Close BB Maps and go back to your Google Maps and proceed

Goodluck! I'm sorry u have touch?

darrenmott 08-30-2010 04:27 PM

yh - its a touch

darrenmott 08-30-2010 04:28 PM

tryin ur suggestions now - will post if it works

darrenmott 08-30-2010 04:46 PM

ok those steps with the bb maps didntt work - but in all fairness i got a new message on google maps, instead of saying "Your current location is temporarily unavailable. Waiting on GPS." it now says "GPS Temporarily Unavailable". any thoughts?

samnyemba 08-30-2010 04:49 PM

Try the BB Maps way to instantiate the GPS then.

I'm not familiar with a touch menu structure tho, I guess they ain't similar.

This "... the only options i see are save, show keyboard, switch application and close..." doesn't sound like you r in the right place tho , there is no Options - GPS menu like structure?

Sorry! v. sorry!

darrenmott 08-30-2010 05:12 PM

The only menu structure i see is: Options -> Advanced options -> GPS and the refresh GPS is not in it.

and also i've been trying the BB Maps way since u told me - and it doesnt work

devnull 08-30-2010 06:23 PM

darrenmott,

Is it possible that your mobile phone provider is somehow blocking GPS?

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ps-9530-a.html

darrenmott 08-30-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 1648953)
darrenmott,

Is it possible that your mobile phone provider is somehow blocking GPS?

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ps-9530-a.html

i think so. just tried the QPST thing... it got me a cell tower triangulation now, but no satellite signal.. need the correct settings.

samnyemba 08-31-2010 12:19 PM

I checked with a pal who has a storm and there is no context menu "Refresh GPS" under GPS. Maybe if you check in you user manual and search for "Refresh GPS" and try doing that. This pal's storm is useless - he has no blackberry service so nothing practically works.

Do you have a blackberry service?

Iare Tosevite 08-31-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samnyemba (Post 1648499)

Hopefully this helps

I really wish my 8830 have those options.