Old 09-24-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Marc_G
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT--Stick with us and nobody gets hurt
Default Software/firmware upgrade leads to address book woes

Please Login to Remove!

Hi folks,

About a month ago I upgraded my Cingular -based 7100g to the current firmware/software available via the Cingular site. The original software on the phone was vintage ~August 2005, and I had never updated anything until last month.

Several bothersome bugs were corrected, which I appreciated, but two new issues have come up, which bother me. I'm wondering if anyone can help me resolve them. Probably "user error" is involved and I just need to change some settings.

1. Alphabetization of the address book is wrong now. The person's Title field is factored into the alphabetization. So now Dr. Anne SoAndSo is listed under the D's instead of the A's. I've got it set for First
Name alphabetization. Before the upgrade, this person showed up properly listed in the A's, despite the title preceding her name. I REALLY need to fix this, as a lot of my contacts have various titles and it makes finding them very annoying.

2. I have a filter in the address book set to show people in my "Frequent" category. About 1/3 of my total contacts are in this category. Before the upgrade, if I were to press a key for the first letter, and thus do an automatic search, it would show matches in ALL categories, which I liked. Now, I actually have to turn off the filter before doing a search. It shows only those matches in the current filtered category. How awful!

Can anyone assist me with some information on these issues? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Marc
Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
Marc_G

I see a lot of people have read the thread but not answered. Let me ask a different question, or at least, the same question differently:

Does anyone out there with a 7100(g) and the 4.1 software have the ability to sort their address books by First Name only, without interference from any Titles present? And, can anyone search the whole address book, not just categories, by pressing the key of a letter found within the desired name/

Marc
Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 AM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G
1. Alphabetization of the address book is wrong now. The person's Title field is factored into the alphabetization. So now Dr. Anne SoAndSo is listed under the D's instead of the A's. I've got it set for First
Name alphabetization. Before the upgrade, this person showed up properly listed in the A's, despite the title preceding her name. I REALLY need to fix this, as a lot of my contacts have various titles and it makes finding them very annoying.
Verfied this behaviour. I would agree that this is a bug. It is not an issue for me as I sort by last name. This may be an alternate solution for you as well. You could also modify your contact to put the Dr. after the last name. Not the best solution, but if will allow your contacts to sort properly when sorted by First Name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G
2. I have a filter in the address book set to show people in my "Frequent" category. About 1/3 of my total contacts are in this category. Before the upgrade, if I were to press a key for the first letter, and thus do an automatic search, it would show matches in ALL categories, which I liked. Now, I actually have to turn off the filter before doing a search. It shows only those matches in the current filtered category. How awful!
I think that this is by design. Some people want to be able to search the subset of contacts that are in a particuliar category. You still have the ability to search all your contacts, it just takes a few extra key presses if your currently viewing by category.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
Marc_G

Thanks for the responses, Doug. I greatly appreciate the feedback!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Ideasmiths

Model: 7100v
Carrier: None
Default Solution for filtered Categories!!!

I stumbled onto the solution accidentally B-)

For problem 1). There is currently no solution except to modify the contacts in outlook by removing all the Title, for example, Mr, Ms, Dr, Hon.

For problem 2).

Before Firmware 4.1, you can click into the address book and in the find: press the alphabets of the contact and narrow down to the contacts.

However after 4.1, you are stuck with categories. The solution is FOUR click away.

For example, lets say I have 3 categories A, B and C each with 5 names inside. By default, it will 'filter' by ONE category. For example, if the last time you filtered by A, the next time you click the address book, the find: will ONLY search in category A.

Do this:

Set ALL category mode
1) click the wheel, select filter
2) when inside the 'Select Category' screen, click the wheel again
3) You will see that it is now 'Change Option' instead of Filter
4) Click on 'Change option' and now ALL The categories are selected. ie for my example, you will see 15 names.

Set Filtered mode
If you click the wheel again, the choice is now 'filter' again!!

I will update this thread when I take a snap shot of my idea during the weekend. Hope the explaination is sufficient for now.

PS: Is there a shortcut hotkey that I am not aware of?
Closed Thread