BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
onetimeuse
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus
Default Business Owners - what does your company do?

Please Login to Remove!

the title is pretty self explanitory. how do you use your blackberry to help in day to day operations.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
zma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

I am an internal consultant with my company. 90% of my BB use is finding out that a client has canceled a meeting, is running late to a meeting, or running late to a class.

I am also planning to start an outside performance consulting business. This was the original reason I purchased the BB. I figure it will be good for keeping up with contacts as well as posting to a blog on my website with up-to-the-minute information. The BB itself is a terrific process improvement for most companies. Most mobile professionals just need e-mail and calendar so carrying a notebook is overkill and it's a PIA to find a connection.

Last edited by zma; 09-17-2005 at 03:34 PM..
Old 09-17-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
onetimeuse
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telus

i guess maybe i should contribute since i started the thread. i will be taking possession of two tim hortons stores as an owner. if anyone is unfamiliar with tim hortons, it is the number one quick service (fast food is such a bad word) chain in canada. for those of you in new england, usa you guys have around a hundred or so stores there. our products are things such as donuts, sandwiches, bagels, soup. very good food for a good price.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
rudag
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

I am a small plumbing contractor and I am never inthe office. The BB helps me to stay connected to my crews, email and my family. My wife and I are constanlty on the go and it is nice to be able to have a small chat using PIN.

I used to carry around a phone and a PDA, and was in desperate hopes a windows based pda/phone. My carrier didnt have one, so at the time I thought I was settling for the BB. Boy was I wrong. I thought it was a cheap looking niche device. I couldn't have been more wrong and right at the same time. It is anything but a cheap device, very rugged, and it is a niche device that fit me perfectly.

With 3rd party software growing I am able to keep a portion of my company database with me at all times. And call for inspection with my permit numbers with me at all times. I am able to email my suppliers with anything I need out in the field. I am able to enter new contact information into my BB and know that it is going to be updated in Outlook when I finally get back to the office.

There are many more optionis that I am looking into that will able me to concentrate on other areas of my business.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:25 PM   #5
Macmel
No longer Registered.

Wink

i own a contracking company and use my 7520 for every use possible. i live of my bb and love the push service for my e-mail from clients. bb's are the best thing motorola has made
Old 09-17-2005, 10:34 PM   #6
jpm121

Carrier: nextel

I'm a one man IT consulting business, specializing in local government (like village-sized governments, not big cities). Most of my clients are Nextel customers so DC is a no brainer. I can also reply to e-mails during business hours instead of waiting to find a hot spot or finding a spare PC that I can use webmail for. Telnet/SSH access is a nice bonus; I can log into a router and see what's happening on a network from anywhere.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:42 PM   #7
smketer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Firefighter-helps me keep track of emails.
marketing for a company that makes firefighting products True North Gear www.truenorthgear.com we also make outdoor packs

but the berry is the best thing, just wish it was a little smaller so i dont look like batman when on shift
1. berry
2. shift cell
3. pager
4. radio

SMK
Old 09-18-2005, 03:54 AM   #8
Berry_Black

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile Netherlands

I work for TMO in the Netherlands as a sim and voucher purchaser.
I travel sometimes abroad and I use my blackberry to keep udated on what is going on in he office..

The advantage for working for TMO is that my phone and calls are all for free
Old 09-18-2005, 04:59 AM   #9
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

a stand-alone, one man CMA (Certified Management Accountant) show.

I mainly start and expand small and medium size businesses. I am fairly new to the game as I finished university only two years ago but I love being my own boss.

I find I use my blackberry mostly to skim business emails and reply when I get to my outlook. Because I work with small business and a lot of mom and pops, I get emails at all hours, so it is nice to always be able to see what is going on and cal a client or shoot back a quick message reassuring them.

Also, being 24, I find that the bulk of my messages are personal. Well, I don't have a clue why being younger makes personal use more common, but I find that to be the trend.. The younger the user, the more the unit is used for personal use. I guess us young folk just aren't as important as the elders. ;)
Everyone in toronto has a blackberry so my PIN list is almost as long as my phone list. Barely call friends/collegues/etc anymore-- PIN PIN PIN.. Sometimes I can barely keep up. I will have strong thumbs forever.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:25 AM   #10
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I'm a consultant for a pre-packaged brand of accounting software. I've been using some form of the BB for probably 10 years. I recently moved from the Web Client to a hosted Exchange solution - and it made my useage so much more efficient.

My typical day involves replying to a lot of support type emails asking how to perform different software functions - or correct error messages that clients have encountered. I find that the BB saves me from having to be chained to a desk in my office - and therefore probably eliminates an extra person from my payroll (a good thing).

Once trained to communicate via email instead of phone, my clients have been very eager to use the email -- though I do get voice mail as well.

When voice mails come into my office, I have them routed to an outsourced PBX, which in turn sends me an email to let me know someone has left a message.

All of this technology is DIRT cheap in my situation when measured against the cost of a receptionist and extra technical person.

This is why I am such a big fan of the BB. Have tried the Treo and while it is a nice device I simply miss the ability to get alway son email with a very STABLE device like the BB.

Last edited by mas90guru; 09-18-2005 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2005, 07:05 AM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I am a construction manager for a small Home builder. I use the BB to make punchlist and email to the contractors to send schedules. Its nice to be able to walk around the job site and recieve and send emails instead of being locked in a construction trailer all day.

With direct connect its a no brainer since that is a must have in the building industry. I use the PIN feature tocommunicate with all my builders because it is a requirement to have a BB if you work for my company.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:17 PM   #12
Johnsrt4

Model: N/A
Carrier: cingular

I am a manger of a restraunt great way to keep all the employees in the address book. I use it to set up dates of deliverys interviews ect... I also Have a small buisness set up in my house I do vinyl decals and signs, x box skins, playstation skins and ipod skins ect.. So I do alot of ebay. So great way to check ebay and relist items and check emails if nextel would ever call me back so I can get the old owner off the phone and set up my damn email!!
Using cingular 8100 Pearl
Old 09-18-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
Styx

I'm in Real Estate, and I can't tell you how effective the BB is! I also have the luxery of being on a BES. Being albe to instantly email clients is huge. We just landed a big spending client (in competition with 2 other brokers) becasue our communication was quick and organized. Forms can be faxed and emailed so I alsways have access to contracts, etc. and our company has a mobile MLS resource, not to mention direct access to tax records, etc, etc, etc. It's fantastic!
Old 09-18-2005, 02:36 PM   #14
skj8100

is the Jabra BT800 Bluetooth Headset caller id feature supported by the 7520?
Old 09-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #15
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

wrong thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by skj8100
is the Jabra BT800 Bluetooth Headset caller id feature supported by the 7520?
Old 09-18-2005, 04:59 PM   #16
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

I'm a trial lawyer in a small plaintiff's firm that kicks the tar out of insurance carriers, banks, contractors, railroads, professionals (architects, doctors, engineers, cpa's, and yes, other lawyers), who cheat or harm our clients. We also engage in complex commercial transactions and commercial litigation. My Berry email keeps me in touch with my clients and my colleagues, and my Berry Messenger service (thanks Dawg) keeps me in touch with my partners and associates.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #17
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Sprint

I work for a wireless store and I am sure you are asking yourself "why would he need a BB?" We get time sensitive emails about what products are changing or what promo's have come along and also with the Spint/Nextel merger I am getting email after email on this.

My plan is to one day be the B2B guy for our company.

I also am dabbing into the ebay market with accessorie sales so it is nice to keep track of whats going on with ebay.

pink
Old 09-18-2005, 08:57 PM   #18
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Nextel

I'm a paramedic supervisor for Livingston County EMS (in Michigan). The calendar and contacts are invaluable, I have Nextel and most of the fire depts. and other people I interact with have Nextel also and the DC is great. The ability to page out immediate overtime or other information no matter where I am is also a great thing. Immediately after Katrina I was able to get updates as they came from the state regarding possibliities of deployments etc.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:35 PM   #19
forrestc

Carrier: Verizon

Used a BB for the last 7 months as an IT Manager for a large bank (have been in IT for 9 yrs). BB was rolled out to employees as we moved into a less-structured, flexible-work environment. BES really made it a great business tool for staying in touch with colleagues, employees, and internal customers.

Will be using BB going forward in new career as a Commercial Real Estate broker. Specializing in drugstores, corner pad sites, other retail. Learned over the last 7 months that the BB was invaluable as a business tool. I believe it will give me a competitive advantage in communicating with clients, landlords, and associates. Cell phone, email, & schedule all-in-one is a no brainer.

Really the biggest win is that I was one of those guys who always missed appointments and skipped over to-do lists back when everything was on a paper schedule. I always thought that there had to be a better way than a paper planner or carrying a palm pilot. This makes it so much easier to balance my work schedule and my personal schedule. Can't say enough good things about it.

-forrest
Old 09-18-2005, 09:53 PM   #20
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I am an Investigator for the Lancaster County Sheriff's Office in Lincoln, NE.
My case load involves computer crimes, technical investigations, and I also coordinate our handheld projects.
We use the Blackberry devices for email, phones, and to view local criminal justice information through a web-based application. We are also using Voyager, which allows me to run license plates, check people, and check property for stolen right from the Blackberry.
Closed Thread