BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
MPScan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Notifications: Specific Callers @ Specific Times?

Please Login to Remove!

My sister was rushed to the hospital at 2 AM the other night. Unfortunately, I had gone to bed at 1 AM and didn't wake up to find out until a little after 9 AM.

I know you can set specific ringtones per caller, but I'm looking for an application that will do a special notification per caller during set times. Here's my ideal setup:

Between Midnight & 7 AM, if my parents or close relatives call my Blackberry, I want the loudest, most obnoxious, annoying ringtone to wake me out of a dead sleep. Even if the phone's profile is set to Quiet or Vibrate.

The reason for the limited times is because should my brother call me at 2 PM during an important meeting, I don't want everyone in the room to jump.. just the regular profile setting to alert me (whatever it may be at the time).

Any suggestions where to find something like that?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
jaBBu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers
Default Profiles and "Important Calls"

This can get complicated but the only solution I know of is to setup exceptions in Profiles and turn them on or off as needed. I have seen some sections that go into more detail about changing or creating profiles so I will only go over the quick part of setting up the exceptions here.

Go to Profiles on your BB and scroll down to Advanced and select. At the bottom you will see a section, "Use Active Profiles Except for:", highlight “Important calls” and press the menu button. You can now edit the existing exception or add a new one. I have one called ICE (in case of emergency) calls, and in the ‘from’ line I added my home, family cell and other numbers that would only call me at crazy hours in an emergency. You can select a specific profile for it to work with or just whatever the active one is (Note: it will not work with the phone off profile) and select the ring tone you want. Now here is the discipline part. You need to change your profile to match the exception and turn the exception on when you want to receive those wake up calls (make sure the check box is checked). This way, even if your phone is set to quiet it should ring like crazy.

Hope this helps…

Efficiency is doing things right;
Effectiveness is doing the right things.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (Curve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaBBu
Now here is the discipline part. You need to change your profile to match the exception and turn the exception on when you want to receive those wake up calls (make sure the check box is checked). This way, even if your phone is set to quiet it should ring like crazy.

Hope this helps…
This helped me. I was trying to set up my Curve so that I could have a real 'downtime' profile. I noticed though that changing my exceptions changed them for all the profiles. In doing a search on how this should work, I came across this thread and got the answer to my question: you've got to change the exceptions each time you change the profile.

Thanks.

Last edited by newberry52; 08-08-2008 at 07:52 AM..
Old 08-08-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (Curve)

Double post. Watch out for that back button when trying to return to the previous page after posting!

Last edited by newberry52; 08-08-2008 at 07:51 AM..
Old 08-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A

I think that AlertMatrix might do this; I do not have the product so I do not know for certain.
Closed Thread