Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
galatians51
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Can't stand Dataviz; love Docs to Go

Please Login to Remove!

OK, I don't normally complain about companies, but I have used and purchased Documents to Go on the Palm, Windows Mobile, and now the BB platforms. The software is nothing short of amazing (that is why I have licenses for all three platforms), but Dataviz customer service leaves something to be desired.
I ALWAYS have trouble reinstalling the software after an OS update or a hard reset (WM and Palm mostly). Usually the software downgrades itself to the free version (after I have already paid for an upgrade) and I have to go back to their website to redownload. OK, fair enough. Here's the catch though, they always want you to purchase "download insurance" for 3 bucks.
For instance, I upgraded my OS to 4.5 on my 8120. Cool, now I have Docs to Go. Missing Sheet to Go. Get upgrade link from inside Word to Go, register and upgrade. Now have current version. Decide I want to install some programs from DM. Docs to Go downgrades itself. OK, redownload upgrade. Website tells me I have 5 free downloads left. Fair enough, I use one of them up. A few weeks later, I install some themes from DM and it downgrades me again. OK, figure out how to fix it from doing this from FAQ on their website, apply the fix, go to redownload software, and get told I have no more free downloads, I must purchase a "maintenance program" for three bucks which gives me 10 free downloads for the next year.There is no way to contact CS besides by phone (which I have tried before-be prepared to be on hold for a loooong time) so I end up just purchasing the darn thing.
That wouldn't make me upset except that I have gone through this with every single platform, every single time. It's like they think I am out to distribute copies of their software all over the web. It all takes an activation code to work anyways, what are they worried about? The only reason I am downloading is because their own product keeps downgrading me!
I refuse to pay for this BB edition, it's just too frustrating for me. I know it seems petty, but c'mon, at least give me some email support here!

Below are the disclaimers I got after I purchased the maintenance plan:
Important Backup Information
We highly recommend that when downloading your software, you choose to save the file to your computer. Do not choose "Open" or "Run" if those options are present when you click on the download link. Once the file is downloaded, please be sure to backup the file on to your hard drive, external hard drive, CD, etc. This will insure that you have the installer if you ever need to reinstall again.

For smartphone Over-the-Air installers, we recommend saving any e-mails that contain links to the installers, although we cannot guarantee those links will work in the future..

Alternatively, you can come back to the DataViz web site to download your software, but this may involve purchasing a maintenance program in order to redownload.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
PDM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Or follow this piece of advise and save yourself "alot of bother"...
http://www.blackberryforums.com/beta...tml#post984745
Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
galatians51
Thumbs Must Hurt

I wish I would have seen that before!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

This is bad programming on RIM's part and DataViz's part.

First, RIM leaves no way in Desktop Manager to leave a program alone if the version on the PC is older than that of the handheld. It will downgrade and if you uncheck the box it will remove the app. There should be an option to "do nothing." They continue to include the old version of Documents To Go with the new OS's so if nothing is "hacked" on the PC then you'll get a downgrade.

This is only aggravated by DataViz's policy to only allow a certain number of downloads.

The best option in this case is to rename or delete the DocumentsToGo.alx file. Do this only if you already have the newer version on your handheld.

Also, I recommend doing this so you don't have to rely on downloads from DataViz.

RIM and DataViz need to get this partnership a little more figured out.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
galatians51
Thumbs Must Hurt

It seems to me dataviz does this with every platform, since its happened to me on every platform! I'm wondering if it isn't intentional. There is always a convoluted process to keep the current version, usually presented with an offer to upgrade to a pricey premium version.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
Caribe95
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9380
PIN: ********
Carrier: Movistar

Hi:

I upgraded my Curve to 4.5.0.55 and noticed that the Docs. to Go folder is missing, It disappears from version to version. Is there a way to recover it?.

And if there are no problems for deleting other languages modules: DocsToGoCommonResource__de , __it and __fr. Same for SheetToGoResource__xx, SlideshowToGoResource__xx and WordToGoResource__xx.

( Just learn to use JavaLoader )

Thanks
Caribe95
Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I've not seen the folder missing. However, with each upgrade your Docs To Go version will be downgraded unless you delete/rename the DocumentsToGo.alx file. If you delete/rename it then your current version will be backed up and restored.

Yes, you can delete the other language versions. I did it right from the list of modules.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

What I did to get my Documents To Go not to downgrade when loading other software is used a method to extract the updated .cod files from my BlackBerry. I then moved those updated .cod files to the Java folder, replacing the older .cod files. I then edited the DocumentsToGo.alx file so that it referenced the .cod files (including the SheetsToGo items). I also made sure to edit the version number in the .alx file.

I then deleted the Documents To Go option out of Desktop Manager, and then browsed out to the DocumentsToGo.alx file again, so it references the new items. Now it has the updated version in Desktop Manager and won't downgrade should I need to install other software.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It would be easier if RIM did that.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #10
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I know that's right. It took me like half and hour to an hour to make sure everything worked correctly.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It's much easier to just delete/rename the DocumentsToGo.alx file.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #12
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
It's much easier to just delete/rename the DocumentsToGo.alx file.
I can't explain it, but that would NOT work for me ........ very strange. I tried everything from rebooting the PC and BB both before and after renaming the file ........ thinking it might be a cache issue or something. I most certainly renamed it properly (the extension that is) ........ I called it several different names ........ hell I even yelled at it a few times. Tried deleting it; it deleted no problem, but that didn't work. Tried deleting the .cod files and guess what ......... that didn't work!

This was really getting under my skin until I found a copy of the .alx (probably altered as jeremyckitching did) and placed that into the folder ........... then finally it worked. At that point I was very tired and so I don't recall where I found it or whom the kind soul was that posted it.

I would gladly post it up here, but not sure if that would be OK without giving proper credit. If a mod gives their blessing to post it, I will do so.

And BTW ....... I too agree that RIM and Dataviz need to get the hell off their butts and fix this. There is truly no need for anyone to have to go through this. And for those on Rogers; those 2.2 mb's add up pretty quick if you gotta re-download the maintenance update everytime it gets downgraded. We don't have unlimited data. :(

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"

Last edited by JaguarXJ7; 08-01-2008 at 04:17 PM..
Old 08-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribe95 View Post
Hi:

I upgraded my Curve to 4.5.0.55 and noticed that the Docs. to Go folder is missing, It disappears from version to version. Is there a way to recover it?.

And if there are no problems for deleting other languages modules: DocsToGoCommonResource__de , __it and __fr. Same for SheetToGoResource__xx, SlideshowToGoResource__xx and WordToGoResource__xx.

( Just learn to use JavaLoader )

Thanks
Caribe95
Are you using an aftermarket theme? I have noticed that If I use a theme not preinstalled, the folder for Docs To Go is gone and I just have the 3 program apps, but if I go back to a preinstalled theme it is back.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
Caribe95
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9380
PIN: ********
Carrier: Movistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Yes, you can delete the other language versions. I did it right from the list of modules.
Ok, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickfromIL View Post
Are you using an aftermarket theme? I have noticed that If I use a theme not preinstalled, the folder for Docs To Go is gone and I just have the 3 program apps, but if I go back to a preinstalled theme it is back.
Yes, correct the themes don't show it.

Thanks.
Caribe95
Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarXJ7 View Post
I can't explain it, but that would NOT work for me ........ very strange. I tried everything from rebooting the PC and BB both before and after renaming the file ........ thinking it might be a cache issue or something. I most certainly renamed it properly (the extension that is) ........ I called it several different names ........ hell I even yelled at it a few times. Tried deleting it; it deleted no problem, but that didn't work. Tried deleting the .cod files and guess what ......... that didn't work!

This was really getting under my skin until I found a copy of the .alx (probably altered as jeremyckitching did) and placed that into the folder ........... then finally it worked. At that point I was very tired and so I don't recall where I found it or whom the kind soul was that posted it.

I would gladly post it up here, but not sure if that would be OK without giving proper credit. If a mod gives their blessing to post it, I will do so.

And BTW ....... I too agree that RIM and Dataviz need to get the hell off their butts and fix this. There is truly no need for anyone to have to go through this. And for those on Rogers; those 2.2 mb's add up pretty quick if you gotta re-download the maintenance update everytime it gets downgraded. We don't have unlimited data. :(
Before I read about deleting the alx file, I just created a new folder in java called "DTG" and dropped the DocsToGo, SlideshowToGo, and Word to go cod's in there, and it worked great.
Closed Thread