Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Trying to get a reliable wifi signal

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all, I have just purchased two 8320s for tmo. I have the H@H plan so I can get free calls while on wifi. I can connect to my router and other routers no problem. I have a Zyxel X-550 router with streamengine (qos). I have the phone ips set in the stream engine to use half (256k) of my upload speed. Same as I did for my voip service when I had it. call quality is great when on UMA. My problem is the fact that the phones will switch between UMA and GPRS very often during the day. Half the time I take the phone out and look at it, I am on GPRS in the house. when only the wifi connection is on, I can keep UMA connection 100% of the time in 100% of my house, and when going outside I can keep the connection pretty much to the outskirts of my 1/2 acre property. When I have both the wifi and mobile networks connections active, I will UMA and GPRS switch on and off in the house, and whenever I leave the house only GPRS.

Does the phone automatically switch to the STRONGER signal, or is it only when the wifi signal gets to a low enough strength that the cell signal picks up?

Are there any settings that I can play with or check on the phone/router to make sure that the UMA stays connected better? Right now I am keeping the mobile connection off while in the house and only turning it on when I know I am leaving the house....
Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Ben850
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: G1

Wirelessly posted (T-Mobile 8120)

You're already doing what I would suggest.. But I've never tried it myself. Does disabling the mobile network have any effect on your phone?(email/texts) also, do you have "Wi-fi prefered" picked under. Options>mobile network>connection preference?

Last edited by Ben850; 08-14-2008 at 12:49 PM..
Old 08-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

So far, disabling the mobile network hasn't seemed to have any negative effects. I can still make/receive calls, emails, etc. Its just a pain in the butt to turn on the mobile network everytime I leave the house....seems kinda foolish to NEED to do that.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Ben850
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: G1

Wirelessly posted (T-Mobile 8120)

I made an edit, not sure if you caught it lol
Old 08-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
madj42
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
PIN: ky and the brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider78 View Post
Hello all, I have just purchased two 8320s for tmo. I have the H@H plan so I can get free calls while on wifi. I can connect to my router and other routers no problem. I have a Zyxel X-550 router with streamengine (qos). I have the phone ips set in the stream engine to use half (256k) of my upload speed. Same as I did for my voip service when I had it. call quality is great when on UMA. My problem is the fact that the phones will switch between UMA and GPRS very often during the day. Half the time I take the phone out and look at it, I am on GPRS in the house. when only the wifi connection is on, I can keep UMA connection 100% of the time in 100% of my house, and when going outside I can keep the connection pretty much to the outskirts of my 1/2 acre property. When I have both the wifi and mobile networks connections active, I will UMA and GPRS switch on and off in the house, and whenever I leave the house only GPRS.

Does the phone automatically switch to the STRONGER signal, or is it only when the wifi signal gets to a low enough strength that the cell signal picks up?

Are there any settings that I can play with or check on the phone/router to make sure that the UMA stays connected better? Right now I am keeping the mobile connection off while in the house and only turning it on when I know I am leaving the house....
I don't know anything about the Zyxel router but see if you can change the Fragmentation and RTS Thresholds to 2304. I've had pretty good luck with these settings on my DD-WRT flashed Linksys router. My router wouldn't constantly drop off and on the network until I changed these settings. I hate to say it and you probably won't believe me bu its probably a setting with the router that is causing this.

Another suggestion is to upgrade the phone from 4.5.0.52 to .69. I can't tell you were to get it but it is out there. Try it and see what it does for you because for me it sped up the connection process to my wifi network and UMA works quite flawlessly compared to .52.

You shouldn't have to swap off and on the mobile network either. I can leave my house and when the signal of the wifi gets to weak it transfers the call over to Edge really quick.

Last edited by madj42; 08-14-2008 at 08:11 PM..
Old 08-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madj42 View Post
I don't know anything about the Zyxel router but see if you can change the Fragmentation and RTS Thresholds to 2304. I've had pretty good luck with these settings on my DD-WRT flashed Linksys router. My router wouldn't constantly drop off and on the network until I changed these settings. I hate to say it and you probably won't believe me bu its probably a setting with the router that is causing this.

Another suggestion is to upgrade the phone from 4.5.0.52 to .69. I can't tell you were to get it but it is out there. Try it and see what it does for you because for me it sped up the connection process to my wifi network and UMA works quite flawlessly compared to .52.

You shouldn't have to swap off and on the mobile network either. I can leave my house and when the signal of the wifi gets to weak it transfers the call over to Edge really quick.
I can understand completely if it were a setting in the router, I will be changing that right now to see if it helps....

I will search for .69...I usually don't like to use betas, but if it will help, I'll try it.

Ben - yes I have the setting set to "wifi preferred" on both devices
Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Okay, I have had the settings for the Fragmentation and RTS Thresholds changed to 2304 for almost 30 minutes now and neither BB has switched from UMA to GPRS at all....I don't want to sound too confident as of right now, but I think that may have done the trick.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

This is a normal thing, actually. It happens with fluctuations in the wifi signal. When the signal gets weak, the BB senses it and it switches to EDGE before dropping the call altogether. This happens so that if you're on the phone and you leave the wifi area it will handoff the call to EDGE. I installed DD-WRT on my Linksys router just so I could up the signal power so that it did this less often. The only fix (more like a workaround) that I know of is to turn off the mobile network, as you are already doing.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
This is a normal thing, actually. It happens with fluctuations in the wifi signal. When the signal gets weak, the BB senses it and it switches to EDGE before dropping the call altogether. This happens so that if you're on the phone and you leave the wifi area it will handoff the call to EDGE. I installed DD-WRT on my Linksys router just so I could up the signal power so that it did this less often. The only fix (more like a workaround) that I know of is to turn off the mobile network, as you are already doing.
JC, I understand that it needs to do that when the signal from the router gets weaker...but it is (was) happening when I was showing full strength (red dot and 3 red bars) UMA, then they would drop to GPRS...it would even do it if I were only 20 ft away from my router. Changing the Fragmentation and RTS Thresholds seemed to have done the trick...I can even venture further away from the router before the phone drops UMA and gets the mobile network. I think I had already looked into DD-WRT for my router, but from what I read Zyxel has some sort of proprietary something or other in their routers so I can't flash it with other firmware, only theirs, which I have up to date.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

If the Fragmentation and RTS settings fixed it then
Old 08-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #11
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

I tried switching from .52 to .69, but I was having the BT headset problem with that version, so I went back to .52. The Frag and RTS settings have helped, but I am still seeing the issue on one phone. Could it be a problem with the individual phone? I have switched the theme and things have seemed to be more stable on the new theme, could it be theme related?