Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #21
HungrySage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus The Future Is Friendly!

Please Login to Remove!

I am using DM 4.6. Have both XP and Vista in hand now. Backed up the file from GSM Cingular 8800 and attempted on restoring it to a CDMA Telus 8830 v4.2.2.196. Many things had been successfully transferred with the exceptions of Calendar, Address Book, and minor others. During the advanced back up and restore, these icons were dimmed and I was unable to click on the arrows to transfer to my Phone. My phone does not have a desktop {sync] or desktop {cical} file in the service book, I only have *my e-mail address* {cical} file. I do not have a blackberry e-mail, just a hotmail e-mail setup. I do not see the wireless sync option in those applications due to that issue. Both the service book files and the wireless sync option are not there thus making the blackberry help links given render useless. If you like H, I can PrtScn an image of the advanced backup and restore where I fail to transfer. I have tried these methods and transferring a couple of times. I was thinking that my next step should be to try out DM 4.2... what should I do?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #22
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungrySage View Post
I was thinking that my next step should be to try out DM 4.2... what should I do?

Thanks!
I am thinking this is worth a try. We have tried everything else.

I had this issue with another user and until we rebooted the device, it then allowed us to restore using the advanced restore feature. The arrows where then made available to transfer from the backup address book to the device. I suggested this earlier on in the thread but by this time I imagine you have already done this.

H.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #23
HungrySage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes I have hard resetted it before. I'll try that again, and if not, try a lot older version of desktop manager, like 4.2.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #24
holden

Another item...

Backup your current setup and security wipe the device. Then without setting up anything, go after the restore first thing and see if you can control the ipd file correctly.

(Does any of this allow someone to loose weight? If so, let's market it! )

H.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #25
HungrySage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Angry

I installed DM 4.2.2 from the original cd to both XP and Vista. Vista didn't detect my phone. I installed some driver softwares and still it didn't detect it, though it did detect it when I had DM 4.6 on it. The XP did read it with DM 4.2.2, but it did the same thing where the arrows won't allow it to transfer with the same message on the bottom (wireless sync). I am frusturated now. I will back it up, do a security clean and try restoring it like you said on your last post.

edit: When you took a snap at Address Book Properties, where there was an option for wireless sync, what device did you take it off of? A 8310? 8800? or a 8830?

Last edited by HungrySage; 10-08-2008 at 02:47 PM..
Old 10-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #26
holden

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungrySage View Post
I installed DM 4.2.2 from the original cd to both XP and Vista. Vista didn't detect my phone. I installed some driver softwares and still it didn't detect it, though it did detect it when I had DM 4.6 on it. The XP did read it with DM 4.2.2, but it did the same thing where the arrows won't allow it to transfer with the same message on the bottom (wireless sync). I am frusturated now. I will back it up, do a security clean and try restoring it like you said on your last post.

edit: When you took a snap at Address Book Properties, where there was an option for wireless sync, what device did you take it off of? A 8310? 8800? or a 8830?
To answer your question: 8310 4.5 OS on BES.

Here is a snip from the last link I gave you. This is why I would try a security wipe and then just go for the restore. Task 2 - Step 3 is of interest as it says to not configure any accounts on the device...
Quote:
Task 1 - Back Up the Old BlackBerry device
To back up the data from the BlackBerry device:
  1. Connect the BlackBerry device to your personal computer.
  2. Use Backup and Restore to back up the data. This will create an.ipd file. For instructions, see the topicBack up handheld information in the Desktop Manager Online Help.
  3. Disconnect the BlackBerry device.
Task 2 - Load Data to the New BlackBerry device
To load the data from the .ipd file to the new BlackBerry device:
  1. Remove the SIM card from your old BlackBerry device and insert it into the new BlackBerry device. For instructions, see “Setting up your handheld” in the Getting Started Guide.
  2. Connect the new BlackBerry device to your personal computer.
  3. When prompted to switch your email account to the connected BlackBerry device, click No. Note: If you switch your email account now, the BlackBerry device will encounter an error when you attempt to restore data to the BlackBerry device from the backup file.
  4. If the new BlackBerry device had a previous owner, clear all the data on the BlackBerry device. For instructions, see “Type an Incorrect Password in Application Loader” in KB-02318.
  5. In Desktop Manager, use Backup and Restore to restore the data from the .ipd file to your new BlackBerry device. For instructions, see the topic Restore handheld information in the Desktop Manager Online Help.
  6. Once the data has been restored, disconnect the BlackBerry device.
I am not sure if this will work (Security Wipe) but I think we have covered all the other recommendations in the RIM KB, unless we missed something.

H.

H.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #27
HungrySage
Thumbs Must Hurt

wow, after all that, the security wipe, it did not work. The same problem keeps coming up. One thing that I have noticed that when I created my new backup, it did not say Address book - All, but just Address Book. Same for calendar where in my old (handy) backup file it said Calendar - all, but in the new back up file (without my files) it just says Calendar.
here is what I want

here is what I just backed up after a security wipe

wonder if the "all" has got to do with anything
Old 10-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #28
HungrySage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hey, should I give a ring to Blackberry? Only problem is that I don't know what number to call. I am a Canadian within Toronto. Is there a specific number to call? I am also curious if the staff are full of idiots or if they are good technicians. I honestly need those back-up files, this is unbelievable.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #29
HungrySage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Shoot, this is killing. Is there any way to read the backup file then? Probably just reading the contact list? I really need help, they had to make the god damn backup files so complicated. If I cannot read it, should I then set up a BBES to get the wireless restore option and try restoring it?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #30
holden

Yes, you can read IPD files using AMBER...
I use it at work and you can sync the IPD DB's to Outlook
Link here...
H.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #31
ezec
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Yes, you can read IPD files using AMBER...
I use it at work and you can sync the IPD DB's to Outlook
Link here...
H.
thank you for the link....you seriously saved me a lot of hours if not days redoing my info
Old 11-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #32
holden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezec View Post
thank you for the link....you seriously saved me a lot of hours if not days redoing my info
Don't know about you but...
Retyping address books is not high on my things to do... IMHO
Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #33
HungrySage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Nice, another person saved!
Closed Thread