Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
coeff
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Pics with the Storm

Please Login to Remove!

I wondered if anyone wants to post interesting, different, atypical pics they take with their Storm.

I'll start.

I wanted to see how Verizon's coverage compared with Tmobile's.

I loaded the Garmin trial, and along with BBMaps, SignalLoc and, of course Google I thought I'd see what each did without a cellular signal. Of course I could have just shut off the radio but what fun is that?

I found a spot off the beaten path to see this:

Of course there was no signal on my Tmobile MDA.

After climbing a bit I stopped and discovered a signal on my Storm with nothing on my MDA. I had 1x coverage so I made a couple of calls, snickered at my MDA, snapped a pic and emailed it off to a friend. It went out a little slow but did get out.

I grabbed my location from SignalLoc and exported it to Google maps which put me where the red ballon is, Google's attempt, as you can see by the blue dot, to locate me was, shall we say, off by a few miles and most assuredly, not within 500 meters.

So I jumped back on my little steed and continued on to test a few more locations.

Next?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
PHLAK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: N/A

Is it bad I could tell you were in the Phoenix metropolitan area from that first pic? LOL! Phoenicians represent!

Anyway, here are a few of the better quality photos I've taken with my Storm:

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 01-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
Masterteee89
Thumbs Must Hurt

I wish my storm would take pics like that... My pics look like a pile of fuzz and dis color!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
rpjohs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterteee89 View Post
I wish my storm would take pics like that... My pics look like a pile of fuzz and dis color!
ditto...
Old 01-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
mikes2006

Model: Storm

mine takes decent pics only some of the time. half the time they are all fuzz and bad color.

pain in the butt to take pics also.... they really could have designed the camera app better. I'm pretty dissappointed in the camera feature.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

With good ambient light, the Storm camera takes wonderful photos. In the absence of ambient light, such as indoors, bars, etc, the photos definitely come out fuzzy and also have red eye.

Remember, earlier digital cameras were the same until the technology got better. Remember folks - it's a cellular phone, not a digital camera. The phone takes great photos for a cellular phone. If you are looking for quality, get a digital camera.

Verizon 9530
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
mikes2006

so maybe I'm just a novice at taking pics with the Storm, but when I press the camera shutter button on the phone, it seems sometimes it will take the pic and sometimes it doesn't. pain in the butt.

also.. the right convience button does something, but it apears to be just a focus lock maybe? how can I set this button to be the shutter button? or is that doable. would seem a lot better than using a virtual button on the screen.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
With good ambient light, the Storm camera takes wonderful photos. In the absence of ambient light, such as indoors, bars, etc, the photos definitely come out fuzzy and also have red eye.

Remember, earlier digital cameras were the same until the technology got better. Remember folks - it's a cellular phone, not a digital camera. The phone takes great photos for a cellular phone. If you are looking for quality, get a digital camera.
It's not so much the quality of the photos that it takes because we all know that it's a cell phone camera. The problem I have and many folks here is getting the camera to work the way it's supposed to. The focus sometimes works, the shutter button works when it wants to, and the worse part is that when you press the button "shutter" it's takes about a second or so to take the picture leaving your subject in your photo moved and distorted unless you are perfectly still while you press the shutter button. Can I say major "lag" ???

I've played many older phones that have cameras and while they don't have the high resolution and features that the Storm has they at least work the way they are supposed to. If RIM wasn't sure about the function of the camera in the Storm they should have just left it out like in the 88xx's it would have made it slimmer, weighed less, and dissappointed us less knowing that we have a camera in a BB premier phone that works half the time.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

I agree with both of you. Although the photos come out well, the camera utility on the Storm basically sucks. I used to be able to snap photos on the fly with my previous camera and even take self-shots. Try THAT with the Storm. I have and it is a royal pain. The camera utility also takes about 5-7 seconds to snap a standard posed photo.

Now, occasionally I find the camera snapping a photo quicker and I haven't yet figured how exactly I manipulated the touch screen to make it happen. I have figured how to pan in and out by swiping the screen. However, getting the camera to snap photos on the fly is quite a challenge.

User242, my sentiments exactly, the camera feature SHOULD at least function like it is supposed to.

Verizon 9530
Old 01-19-2009, 02:57 AM   #10
ooGMiLLSoo
No longer Registered.

PIN: pin:304EF867
Carrier: Verizon former T-Mobile

Dam those are some good clear pics! I love my storm =). Lol
Old 01-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
jjd228

Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2006 View Post
so maybe I'm just a novice at taking pics with the Storm, but when I press the camera shutter button on the phone, it seems sometimes it will take the pic and sometimes it doesn't. pain in the butt.

also.. the right convience button does something, but it apears to be just a focus lock maybe? how can I set this button to be the shutter button? or is that doable. would seem a lot better than using a virtual button on the screen.
As with any digital camera, the shutter button (or right convenience key) has 2 positions: half down, and full down. You must hold the button HALF way down while it gets a focus lock, then click the rest of the way down to take the picture. More user error that gives the Storm its bad reputation.

BS / MCSE / BCSA / RHCSE
Old 01-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
coeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLAK View Post
Is it bad I could tell you were in the Phoenix metropolitan area from that first pic? LOL! Phoenicians represent!
From your last pic I'd bet you and I bought our Storm's at the same store too.

Is your screen name the distro you use?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #13
neutrax

Carrier: verizon

agreed jjd user error has seemed to have brought out the worst in the storm i think because of the in expierence in users with "experimental" devices so many people are too use to things that are proven i on the other hand like so many others i have seen on this site know that with a new device comes new challenges. learn how to fix the problems there are settings for the camera and if your taking pictures with a cellphone dont expect it to take the pictures you see people taking with $2000 HD cameras
Old 01-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
mikes2006

I don't expect it to take pics as well as a $2k camera, but I do expect it to come close to a 3mp $50 camera you can buy now.... it doesn't seem to do that but less than 50% of the time.
Closed Thread