Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Headhunterz-

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Storm Freezing when recording a video

Please Login to Remove!

Weird problem that Always happens and never lets me record something properly. Im with telus on the BB 9530...i'd be recording a video then the screen just freezes and doesn't let me do anything. Thats when i have to remove the battery from the back and then let the phone load up again. This is really pissing me off.

Ran a few searches but couldn't find a similiar thread, sorry if this has been posted already.

Anybody know how to solve this problem?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunterz- View Post
Weird problem that Always happens and never lets me record something properly. Im with telus on the BB 9530...i'd be recording a video then the screen just freezes and doesn't let me do anything. Thats when i have to remove the battery from the back and then let the phone load up again. This is really pissing me off.

Ran a few searches but couldn't find a similiar thread, sorry if this has been posted already.

Yup...I had that problem...but I was running .65 and Verizon then came out with .75 and hasn't happened since. What OS are u running and is it the latest from Telus? If not I suggest u get the latest OS to find out if its a software issue or a hardware issue and get a replacement.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!

Last edited by xxDruMMer BoYxx; 01-01-2009 at 02:35 PM..
Old 01-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Headhunterz-

im not sure whether i should be checking the telus site or the blackberry site for an update though. I tried looking on both and couldn't find anything
Old 01-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL

Well, first, what OS are you using? This can be found in Options > About. The latest released OS is stickied at the top of this forum.

Also, the video camera could be freezing because your available free memory is low. Keep an eye on it by checking under Options > Status.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Headhunterz-

Thanks for the quick replies guys..I still have over 5 gigs of free space left so that shouldn't be the problem, and it says that im using:

v4.7.0.76
Old 01-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

What number do you have showing for file free under Options > Status?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Headhunterz-

42669880 bytes
Old 01-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Well, that's a good number to have. When you say you have 5 GB of free space left, are you referring to the space left on the memory card? Having space left on there will not help the device run quicker - there needs to be enough free memory on the device (the file free number) to help applications run without stuttering.

When you go into the options in the Video Camera application, is the device saving the videos onto the media card?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Headhunterz-

yep i always save everything to the media card!

edit - and yes i was reffering to the memory card :P
Old 01-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

I'm somewhat at a loss here since I haven't had experience with the video camera not working as I've only used it maybe two times. My best suggestion is to rollback to Verizon's .75 OS to see if this fixes things unless someone else running .76 has advice to offer.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
Headhunterz-

thanks for the help mate ill give it a try when i get a chance.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
gkr_Tbone

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon
Default my Storm freezes too

I am on Verizon. I have 32MB application free space.
Device memory: 873.4MB free space
Media card 5.2GB free space.

I have File free: 36682377 bytes (under the status)
OS version 4.7.0.75

I have had the video freeze up on me two of the 4 times I have tried it.
The last time it froze I just put the unit down and left it alone for a while. Eventually when I came back to it. the Video window was closed and the frozen video was gone. It is like it never recorded it. Really frustrating.
GregR
Old 01-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
boatfreq

I have the same problem; running OS version 4.7.0.75; 25MB free application memory; 874MB device memory free space; 7.3GB media card free space.

I am having other intermitent problems as well. Video and voice recordings often appear to save, but cannot play back (the saved file appears to be corrupted). Voice dialing has also stopped working (the system asks for a command, but doesn't hear anything). The Voice Note Recorder application has stopped working all-together (the application starts up, but the record button has doesn't respond).

Verizon has agreed to replace my Storm; should be here in a couple of days. I'll let you know if new equipment solves my problems.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #14
RJ311
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon

Any word on the new phone? I have all of the same issues tht you do.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #15
RJ311

I downloaded 4.70.76 and it seems to have fixed the problem! I'll post if anything else happens from here on out.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #16
LithiumNitrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatfreq View Post
Verizon has agreed to replace my Storm; should be here in a couple of days. I'll let you know if new equipment solves my problems.
Just curious, but what did they tell you? Is it a known issue? I'm having the same difficulties w/voicenotes - they save, but then disappear from the VN menu.

btw:I've also had a crash while using the video camera, but I don't really use it, so it doesn't bother me too much. Thinking this must be a software issue. hope the voicenotes are as well.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #17
UnderDog

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Exclamation Same Problem Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunterz- View Post

I'm having the exact same issue. Other scenarios make the phone freeze as well, on certain occasions, but using the video camera causes a freeze 90 percent of the time. The other 10 percent of the time, I get an error message saying the format is not supported.

I've found that the issues lessen if I use MMS instead of Normal, but it doesn't prevent the issues completely. Has anyone found a fix for this, or is there anything anyone has done, that at the very least, improved the issue? There are a lot of minor bugs with this phone that add up, but I've learned to live with them. However, the freezes and constant required battery pulls, are just too much to accept. Any help is appreciated. I'm running the latest authentic released version 4.7.0.75. TIA.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #18
fire125k

Model: 9930
Default found a fix

My phone just like most people would freeze if I took a video with my storm. I just got off the phone with verizonwireless. We got my video to work without freezing. I reinstalled the .75 os. but I don't think you need to do that. I had to backup all I had on my memory card. I did this by plugging it into my computer and copying the files onto my desktop. After that I unplugged the usb cable and went to options..Memory..push the menu key...select format...select media card... I did all that and it worked great. I reinstalled the photos and music and videos back and I was set. Somehow we all got a problem on the card. Hope this works for you.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #19
Carbine Guy

Model: 9500

I have this same problem. I'm running the latest OS for verizon too, .75. It freezes after like 15 seconds of recording and then after a while it will have to reboot and it will say that it passed a safety test or something. Really annoying.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #20
UnderDog

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Question Try That Fix and it Didn't Work for Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire125k View Post
My phone just like most people would freeze if I took a video with my storm. I just got off the phone with verizonwireless. We got my video to work without freezing. I reinstalled the .75 os. but I don't think you need to do that. I had to backup all I had on my memory card. I did this by plugging it into my computer and copying the files onto my desktop. After that I unplugged the usb cable and went to options..Memory..push the menu key...select format...select media card... I did all that and it worked great. I reinstalled the photos and music and videos back and I was set. Somehow we all got a problem on the card. Hope this works for you.
Thanks for the info, but I had already tried formatting the memory card several times, and I also wiped the phone and restored the backup and still had the same problem. I even tried it directly after wiping the handheld and formatting the card, prior to restoring the backup, and it still froze up on me.

I'm assuming, and I very well could be wrong, that what fixed it was the installation of the .75 OS software. I searched long and hard, but can't find that stand alone OS. What I'd like, is to completely wipe the phone of everything, OS and all, and then start completely fresh, by installing just the .75 OS, and going from there. This of course is a much harsher, yet in depth, method. Are there any risks to doing this, which can't be resolved? And, is there anyone that could please proved directions how to go about getting this done? Not to worry, if I screw it up, I won't hold you responsible!!!
Closed Thread