BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
stupink
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange uk
Default incoming calls while using data, fact or fiction?

Please Login to Remove!

After realising I cannot recieve calls while send/recieve data is going I am really shocked, my mobile is primarily a phone, and to now have unlimited data package which encourage lots of browsing and background apps which use data descretely that dissables the phone functionality just seems crazy!!!

I called many times to my operator orange_uk who said nothign could be done, most of them didnt even realise it was the case and were trying to hunt down network faults etc.. anyway i finally found one who mentioned on the blackberry site a "fix" had been posted to enable phonecalls to break through.. only I cannot find it. and a post went unanswered..

Does anyone know such a fix? it was apparently a setting somewhere.. im not sure if true or not.

I understand you cannot use both at the same time, fine.. but what i dont understand is why the network can't disconnect data to allow the phonecall through. my BB is now rendered a bog standard phone as im afraid to use data in case i miss important calls :( one missed call can mean i miss out on 1,000ukp work essentially :(
Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (hope is everything!)

If I get a call while using data the voicecall automatically truncates data unless I ignore call
Old 01-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
stupink
Thumbs Must Hurt

:( mine does not.. people get put right through to voicemail :( most choose not to leave a message so i never know they call and loose out.

Any ideas on settings that may be causing this? are you certain it does that? ie if you sit in browswer and constantly hit R to refresh and get constant incoming/outgoing arrowss u still receive call?? mine does not ring but goes answerphone :(
unacceptable :(
Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Remember123
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: Vodafone

the device is using the same channel for the data and voice service. to avoid people going into the voicemail (as you mentioned they never leave a message) I activated notication of a missed call by SMS - that means you get immadiatelly an SMS when somebody is trying to reach you (the SMS can come while you are using datas) and you can immadiatelly call back if it was an important phone call. so just try calling your carrier to set up this option... hope it will help you...
Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If you have a 3G device (the Bold) for example, you can have voice and data at the same time. One of the beauties of going 3G.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
unbb

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
If you have a 3G device (the Bold) for example, you can have voice and data at the same time. One of the beauties of going 3G.
My curve (not 3G) gets calls while using data. I even got a call while tethered. Is the timing just perfect that my calls came in on a time where no transfer was happening?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:29 AM   #7
stupink
Thumbs Must Hurt

unbb could you try what i say about constant refreshing, get the arrows solid and try to call yourself from landline.. you can then see if the moment it rings whether or not you have data coming in.. i get a lot of calls while im surfing, because calls come through in the data lulls..
remember123 thanks for the suggestion, sadly i already have this feature turned on, and it just isnt reliable on my network. for an unknown reason I dont get the alerts the majority of the time, possibly because the phone has signal so the network is assuming im canceling the call manually?? i really dont know. but its switched on and just never works :( I also get a lot of calls from number withheld that I need to answer, means I cannot return it as I don't know the number :(

I'm still in contract so can't go to another phone yet, can't afford one yet anyway, but I need to try to get a solution fix on my curve :( I dont care if data gets cut off, i can always get that again when convinient unlike a call :(
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (BOLD)

I have encountered this with google maps a few times, but vavk when I was on 4.2. Make sure u got the latest OS version n u should be fine?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
JeeBee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
Wirelessly posted (BOLD)

I have encountered this with google maps a few times, but vavk when I was on 4.2. Make sure u got the latest OS version n u should be fine?
On Opera Mini, when loading a page and calling my phone, it first loads the page and then the call is coming through. (4.5)

I don't know what happens if you download a bigger file...

Last edited by JeeBee; 01-20-2009 at 09:19 AM..
Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
joebogey

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (The bane of my existance)

I have an Verizon 8330 Curve, with OS 4.5 and it breaks through a data connection with an incoming call.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbb View Post
My curve (not 3G) gets calls while using data. I even got a call while tethered. Is the timing just perfect that my calls came in on a time where no transfer was happening?
Trying to prove that you can't have simultaneous voice and data using that method is difficult as timing makes a difference. Instead, try this: place a call and try to use any data features while on the call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupink View Post
Any ideas on settings that may be causing this?
There's nothing to set. It's a limitation of EDGE/GPRS.

Quote:
unacceptable :(
Get a 3G device then. Definitely do your homework before purchasing any device -- especially on features/functions that are important to you.

Last edited by takeshi; 01-20-2009 at 11:15 AM..
Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #12
Steve66

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
I cannot recieve calls while send/recieve data
I just tested this and was not able to reproduce this issue. I browsed to a data-intensive web site and then called myself while the page was loading and I got the call just fine. I then went to a web site where I could upload a large file via an HTML form and i was able to receive a call while the file was uploading.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
unbb

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Trying to prove that you can't have simultaneous voice and data using that method is difficult as timing makes a difference. Instead, try this: place a call and try to use any data features while on the call.
Mine was timing before. This test proved it...no data on phone call. Thanks to timing, this has never affected me.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
joebogey

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (The bane of my existance)

It sounds like it's the network that you're on than the phone hardware or OS version.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
WHAT

I get my calls, 8350i
Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #16
stupink
Thumbs Must Hurt

using data while on call is a different thing, i know they cannot do both, all i want is to make the data stop so the phonecall can come through, not continue to use data while on the call.

I really don't understand how some of you are getting this :( maybe your networks are not idiots and understand people want to prioritise phonecalls on a phone :(
Is it repeatable? ie if you hit there constantly refressing and call yourself 10times you get the call 10times and not answerphone once?? maybe one in 20 come through on mine while doing that :(

I will ring them yet again.. tbh its stupid they can't do this, I use instant messenger so sometimes just the split second ping from that once every 30secs is enough to divert teh call :(
Old 01-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #17
MT_POKT

Nextel 8350i, OS 4.6. I get calls while connected to wifi which is most of the time. I'm not sure otherwise. It does interrupt Telnav so I expect I will get calls while not connected to wifi.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #18
littleman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: att

Wirelessly posted

If I'm using slacker, telanav, or the web I've been lucky enough to get all my calls
Closed Thread