Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: ??????
Carrier: Verizon 9630, 9650, 9550/AT&T 9000, 9700, 9800

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDADoc View Post
Wirelessly posted

Okay, I have to ask: what's the big deal about Visual Voicemail anyway?

I keep seeing posts about it like it's the greatest thing to come along. Yes, I know what it is, I have an iPhone 3G sitting in my desk drawer somewhere, I just don't see the big deal.

Someone care to clue me in?
Greatest advantage I see is that you can actually pick which voicemail you want to listen to without having to skip they others.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #162
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
.216 is now official from T-Mobile UK

http://updateservice.t-mobile.net/
awesome! thanks for that. i'd have never known otherwise.

good to see t-mobile are a bit better with their OS updates for BB than for Nokia N95

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 01-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #163
hboogz

Model: BOLD
Carrier: ATT

Has anyone tried this update on an ATT BOLD in the Northeast, specifcally NY ?

I just got my hands on the BOLD and, although haven't had any real issues with the phone as of yet, i keep hearing negative things about .167 and i'd rather not wait for them to surface.

Anyone apply this update successfully on a ATT Bold ? If so, any abnormal side affects ?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #164
Crupp
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 249e66f1
Carrier: AT&T

I am in Atl and have no bad side effects. Actually before the update my Bold would go between EDGE and 3g almost constantly and now not so much. Can't speak to the battery since while at my desk it is plugged in. Device does seem a bit snappier too.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #165
Crupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfraser View Post
By the way, I did need to have a new password generated for enterprise activation when going to .216. As noted in a previous post by another contributor, others on BES were automatically reactivated on the server when going to .216. As noted in my earlier post, I did not need reactivation on three previous OS updates. I do not know why some OS updates required reactivation for me and others did not.
My caution remains, if on BES you cannot predict if an OS upgrade will require reactivation, so only do it if you know your IT people are available to reactivate/generate a new password, if required.
If you are connected to your network you can activate the BES functionality through the email settings in DM. I never knew this until the guy at RIM told me
Old 01-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #166
PDADoc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T, Vodaphone (UK), T-Mobile (Germany)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboogz View Post
Has anyone tried this update on an ATT BOLD in the Northeast, specifcally NY ?

I just got my hands on the BOLD and, although haven't had any real issues with the phone as of yet, i keep hearing negative things about .167 and i'd rather not wait for them to surface.

Anyone apply this update successfully on a ATT Bold ? If so, any abnormal side affects ?
My device is an AT&T Bold, and as you can see from my profile, I'm in Manhattan. I've not experienced any severe abnormalities associated with the updating process, per se. Each OS update has its own peculiar set of positives and negatives. I was on .216 but didn't like a few things about it (see earlier in this thread for my remarks) but I'm now using .185 and while there is slightly less file free memory, it's working just fine, I'm satisfied.

I should point out, however, that there was nothing wrong with my device when I had .167.

BlackBerry Bold 9780
BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
Old 01-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #167
mjbanks

I'm skipping this OS. Haven't heard too much good about it and .190 has been working great for me. I'll wait for one that's a bit more stable.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #168
hboogz

Thanks for the replys, everyone.

I'm in Manhattan as well, well most of my time at least.

Since it's brand new and i'm not that invested in the customization part of it yet, I'll be the guinea pig and give this AVEA version a shot.

I'll report back with my results..
Old 01-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #169
hboogz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crupp View Post
If you are connected to your network you can activate the BES functionality through the email settings in DM. I never knew this until the guy at RIM told me

How exactly can you do that using DM ?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #170
Crupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboogz View Post
How exactly can you do that using DM ?
Connect your Blackberry open DM, go email settings, make sure "forward incomming messages to my device" is checked, (under general), under advanced - your email address should be populated and greyed out, click apply. You should then see the EA icon on your Bold and information being sent via the USb cable.

I was previously connected to the BES before I upgraded to .216. This worked for me (via the RIM guy telling me about it) going from .167 to .216
Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #171
jimfraser

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Connect your Blackberry open DM, go email settings, make sure "forward incomming messages to my device" is checked, (under general), under advanced - your email address should be populated and greyed out, click apply. You should then see the EA icon on your Bold and information being sent via the USb cable.

I was previously connected to the BES before I upgraded to .216. This worked for me (via the RIM guy telling me about it) going from .167 to .216
Thanks for the tip.
My IT guy gets somewhat anoyed. No one else in the firm upgrades the OS on their Blackberrys (we use a variety of Blackberrys).
I needed reinitialization with a new password for .167 and .216, but not for three previous upgrades (the first one was from original Rogers to .162, and recommended by Rogers so I got in the habbit of upgrading to the latest OS), which reinitialized automatically over the air.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #172
hboogz

Quote:

Strange little trick, but that seemed to have worked.

I'm currently on an ATT BOLD IN NYC running .216 and everything seems to going well so far.

I've downloaded poynt and just recently noticed retrieving a GPS signal, but could be related to my location within the office.

All is good so far.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #173
IS300_TRD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Weird.

I just updated my OS to .216 a couple of hours ago. All of a sudden it just reset itself.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #174
kenv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Default Bluetooth disconnect problem

I am using 210, which works pretty well overall. But my Bluetooth Motorola H15 headset frequently doesn't work during a call, even though it is shown to be connected. This often happens after making one call, hanging up, then making another call, and the BT doesn't work during the second call. I have to close then open the BT, and then it works again. I have actually replaced the H15 device this week for other reasons, but the new one is doing the same thing.

Does anyone know if this is an OS related issue, and if so, will 216 fix it?

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #175
GolfnCPA

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
I am using 210, which works pretty well overall. But my Bluetooth Motorola H15 headset frequently doesn't work during a call, even though it is shown to be connected. This often happens after making one call, hanging up, then making another call, and the BT doesn't work during the second call. I have to close then open the BT, and then it works again. I have actually replaced the H15 device this week for other reasons, but the new one is doing the same thing.

Does anyone know if this is an OS related issue, and if so, will 216 fix it?

Thanks.
H15 with .185 is working very well. On occasion, it takes a couple of passes to link up, but I have never had any trouble with it during a call.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #176
kenv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfnCPA View Post
H15 with .185 is working very well. On occasion, it takes a couple of passes to link up, but I have never had any trouble with it during a call.
Thanks. Just to clarify, there is no problem with the H15 /during/ a call. What usually happens is that the device seems to be working well during a call, the call is ended, and when I attempt to make another call, with the H15 still showing as connected on the Bold, the call can be heard only on the Bold speaker, not on the H15. I then have to shut the H15 down and restart it, and then it works again when I make a call. It's as if the BT device "forgets" that it is connected after a call is completed.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #177
GolfnCPA

Quote:
Thanks. Just to clarify, there is no problem with the H15 /during/ a call. What usually happens is that the device seems to be working well during a call, the call is ended, and when I attempt to make another call, with the H15 still showing as connected on the Bold, the call can be heard only on the Bold speaker, not on the H15. I then have to shut the H15 down and restart it, and then it works again when I make a call. It's as if the BT device "forgets" that it is connected after a call is completed.
What are your settings for Bluetooth?

Manage Connections > Bluetooth Options > Menu > Options
Old 01-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #178
kenv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
What are your settings for Bluetooth?

Manage Connections > Bluetooth Options > Menu > Options
The settings are as follows:

Discoverable--Yes
Allow outgoing calls--always
Contacts --All Entries
LED connection indicator--On
Security Level--High
Connect on Power Up--Yes

And all the "services" have a check in the box
Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #179
GolfnCPA

Quote:
The settings are as follows:

Discoverable--Yes
Allow outgoing calls--always
Contacts --All Entries
LED connection indicator--On
Security Level--High
Connect on Power Up--Yes

And all the "services" have a check in the box
Change a couple of options.

Discoverable--No
Contacts--Disabled
Connect on Power Up--No.

Reboot, and see if it works. Just telling you what mine looks like, and as stated, no problems.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #180
kenv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Change a couple of options.

Discoverable--No
Contacts--Disabled
Connect on Power Up--No.

Reboot, and see if it works. Just telling you what mine looks like, and as stated, no problems.
OK, will do--thanks very much. I'll post again if there are any further disconnects.
Closed Thread