Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
kschurch

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default syncing storm with Mac

Please Login to Remove!

I'm currently using a PC with Outlook, but I'm thinking of switching to a Mac. Will my Storm sync up with the Mac Calander, contacts and tasks like it does for outlook?

Still a newbie. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
voyagor

Model: 9530

yes if you use missingsync or pocket mac. but dont expect to ever see a DM for Mac even though they say one is being developed i dont see it happening anytime soon
Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
kschurch

Thanks voyager.
What is a DM? Sorry.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
voyagor

Device manager it is the software that allows you to do load different operating systems onto the storm and back up the storm. all sorts of cool stuff. but us Mac people dont get anything like that.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
adorkable
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Ask.
Carrier: Verizon

If you do get a Mac, go with Missing Sync rather than PocketMac. It's not free like PocketMac, but it's definitely better and worth the money.

It's still handy to have a PC around so you can use the Desktop Manager for OS upgrades and whatnot, though. However, the Storm is able to get OTA upgrades (at least I'm pretty sure it can), so if you aren't interested in using unofficial operating system version upgrades, you should be fine with just a Mac and Missing Sync.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

Adorkable, where do I go to get Missing Sync?

I crossed over to MAC over 5 years ago and have an iMac at home and carry a Mac Pro laptop. These computers are completely stable and far superior to PC's. I just got sick an tired of routine reformatting and blue screens of death.

So where do I get this Missing Sync?

Verizon 9530
Old 02-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
adorkable

Here you go: BlackBerry Sync Mac - Synchronize Blackberry to Mac contacts, calendars, notes, playlists and photos

You can find a lot more helpful info for using your BB with a Mac here too.

Last edited by adorkable; 02-04-2009 at 02:33 PM..
Old 02-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
kschurch

Thanks all!!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
voyagor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
Adorkable, where do I go to get Missing Sync?

I crossed over to MAC over 5 years ago and have an iMac at home and carry a Mac Pro laptop. These computers are completely stable and far superior to PC's. I just got sick an tired of routine reformatting and blue screens of death.

So where do I get this Missing Sync?
haha uh oh that sounds like fighting words! your not going to hear anything from me though i switched to a mac about a year ago and have been very happy
Old 02-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
dtdt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorkable View Post
...the Storm is able to get OTA upgrades (at least I'm pretty sure it can), so if you aren't interested in using unofficial operating system version upgrades, you should be fine with just a Mac and Missing Sync.
OPTIONS >> WIRELESS UPGRADE >> CHECK FOR UPGRADES

Is this OTA upgradeablility???

I still can't believe that RIM hasn't developed a software for mac yet; perhaps Apple is putting their feet down? Like they want to discourage iPhone sales...
Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

Voyagor, I didn't intend for that post to be antagonistic but I stand behind it 100%!

Much like most here, I avoided crossing over because I feared I would have to learn a whole new OS. I initially purchased a MAC laptop for graduate school and I was so thoroughly impressed that I purchased the iMAC the following Christmas. My MAC's never freeze, crash or have to be reformatted. They are a dream to work with a much less complicated than a PC.

The only issue is compatibility in areas such as syncing with phones and other minor tasks that a PC user will never encounter. But so far, there are always ways around it. The minor inconveniences are overshadowed by the MAC experience. I now know why MAC users are so fanatical about their units. I am happy to have joined them.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
adorkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtdt View Post
OPTIONS >> WIRELESS UPGRADE >> CHECK FOR UPGRADES

Is this OTA upgradeablility???

I still can't believe that RIM hasn't developed a software for mac yet; perhaps Apple is putting their feet down? Like they want to discourage iPhone sales...
Yup. That's what I was referring to. At least I think that's for whenever they release new OS versions. lol
Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #13
dtdt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Hopefully so! This is a dream come true for us Mackies.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #14
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

As a side note, DM runs just fine under VMWare and Windows XP ... You could also use bootcamp if you have a intel Mac. I love Missing Sync, and swear by it for everyday syncing of my photos, contacts and iTunes music. I use google sync to keep my calendar in sync.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:51 AM   #15
voyagor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
Voyagor, I didn't intend for that post to be antagonistic but I stand behind it 100%!

Much like most here, I avoided crossing over because I feared I would have to learn a whole new OS. I initially purchased a MAC laptop for graduate school and I was so thoroughly impressed that I purchased the iMAC the following Christmas. My MAC's never freeze, crash or have to be reformatted. They are a dream to work with a much less complicated than a PC.

The only issue is compatibility in areas such as syncing with phones and other minor tasks that a PC user will never encounter. But so far, there are always ways around it. The minor inconveniences are overshadowed by the MAC experience. I now know why MAC users are so fanatical about their units. I am happy to have joined them.
believe me everything you stated i already know, and totally agree with! i love macs now and am now one of those fanatical users. i was just joking about the fighting words thing because im sure as you know the whole mac vs pc thing has really been resolved they both have good arguments so those fights can go till both people are blue in the face. in my opinion the more mac users we have on here the better maybe RIM will realize that their is a serious need for a DM for us
Old 02-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #16
rhn1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VzW

I agree. RIM needs to get its act together and support Mac OS. We shouldn't have to resort to 3rd part apps for something like this
Old 02-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
adorkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
I use google sync to keep my calendar in sync.
I have been thinking about doing something like that. Does it basically keep your BB, iCal and google calendar all in sync?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
TotalTech

PIN: 304D3782

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorkable View Post
I have been thinking about doing something like that. Does it basically keep your BB, iCal and google calendar all in sync?
Becareful of doing this and how you have your syncing set up. If you aren't careful on what supersedes what ie. BB, pushes to iCal, iCal pushes to google... if you don't initially set this up correctly you can end up with multiple entries in your calendar and duplicate Contacts.

It can be done and works well when setup right. If you don't have it setup as a hiearchy then you can end up with a mess on your hands. IE that appt with the boss listed 3 times.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #19
donlfrank

I second Adorkable's advice: Missing Sync is far superior to PocketMac. I have been a Mac user since 1985, and when I replaced my Palm Treo 700p with the Storm, I was surprised to discover that the Storm and the Mac don't play well together. I tried DM in Parallels without success, then downloaded the "free" PocketMac, which also didn't work, and which offers "support" for only $50 a call--a total bait and switch scam. So I paid a few bucks for Missing Sync, and after a brief struggle, my contacts and my calendar are nicely integrated among multiple Macs and the Storm. The iPhone is not available where I live, so I reluctantly got the Storm as a reasonable alternative. Didn't like it at all to start, partly because the user manual is so bad. It has grown on me, and now I like it a lot.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #20
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Moved to Mac Users section
Closed Thread