PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanwei View Post
Don't bother with Desktop Manager.

After downloading .113 to your computer from this link: Clicky Clicky

Follow these steps:

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.
Where does the file download on computer? I cannot find it.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #62
ElusiveAura
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 30519FCC

Depends on the default location that you have your computer set to dl files too. Check your documents folder and/or your desktop. If not, search for .exe under the search feature. If you are using Vista, it should find it very, very easily, and quickly. If all else fails, re-download and make sure you notice where the location it's saving to is designated.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #63
Watoosy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElusiveAura View Post
Depends on the default location that you have your computer set to dl files too. Check your documents folder and/or your desktop. If not, search for .exe under the search feature. If you are using Vista, it should find it very, very easily, and quickly. If all else fails, re-download and make sure you notice where the location it's saving to is designated.
I use XP so I did a search and narrowed down to today's date. I see application for chg.exe. Is this it?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #64
ElusiveAura
Thumbs Must Hurt

It doesn't sound like you downloaded it correctly. In order to save time I'd suggest just redownloading it. It should have the words 9530 and 4.7 included in it. Errr I meant numbers not words. It still is an exe file but if you only came up with a chg.exe then I'd redownload. Let me know. Once you get the file it's simple.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #65
rickthornton
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Default Backup Necessary?

Quote:
Don't bother with Desktop Manager.

After downloading .113 to your computer from this link: Clicky Clicky

Follow these steps:

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

Do I need to do a backup or do anything prior to upgrading in this manner. I'm currently running .103 and my previous upgrade required a number of steps to ensure my third party apps and data were reinstalled during the upgrade. So basically, if I follow the above steps, will I end up with .113 and all my other "stuff" on my Storm?

Last edited by rickthornton; 04-07-2009 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #66
Hanwei

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthornton View Post
Do I need to do a backup or do anything prior to upgrading in this manner. I'm currently running .103 and my previous upgrade required a number of steps to ensure my third party apps and data were reinstalled during the upgrade. So basically, if I follow the above steps, will I end up with .113 and all my other "stuff" on my Storm?
When you're at step 3... after you start the loader.exe, you will be prompted to check off either 1) back up device or 2) continue without backing up.

Make sure you check the right box

Short answer, upgrading the OS this way will back up your device in the process and restore everything at the end of the upgrade.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #67
ElusiveAura
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wow this thread has had a boat load of views lol
Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #68
ProfitTower
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon OS .151

I'm currently trying the upgrade... a little scared, never done one before. In the last day or so my phone has been doing some crazy things, like showing half a screen. taking forever to switch applications, and more.. Did a battery pull and got a little better, but still annoying. I only have 3 aftermarket apps, from the BB app store on it. I guess one of those could've caused it. At any rate I wanted to try this out.. I was wanting to wait for the official version. Hope I don't kill my phone?

When I downloaded .113 and ran it, it automatically opened in the DM so I didn't have to go searching for it. We'll see what happens I'm about 10 minutes into the process
Old 04-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #69
ProfitTower

Wohoo...113 is alive and kick'en.. now it's time to play and see how much of a difference it made
Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #70
rickthornton

Default Thanks for the response

Quote:
When you're at step 3... after you start the loader.exe, you will be prompted to check off either 1) back up device or 2) continue without backing up.

Short answer, upgrading the OS this way will back up your device in the process and restore everything at the end of the upgrade.
Thanks for the information. Will try tonight and report.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #71
Watoosy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

What type of program is this? When I double click the program on my computer, my system states that Windows cannot open this file. Then it asks me what type of program I want to use to open it. Any help would be greatly appreciated here! Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #72
ElusiveAura
Thumbs Must Hurt

Watoosy I think he's referring to desktop manager. He may need to reply and confirm though since he did it a different way.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #73
ElusiveAura
Thumbs Must Hurt

Look guys, the link that was posted earlier in this thread is an EXE file. It's a long name. When downloaded hook up your phone and get it ready. Double click the exe you downloaded and it should install. If it doesn't open desktop manager open it manually. Then just follow instructions. Make sure you uninstall any previous desktop managers beforehand so you didn't get confused or mix and match. When it runs it should let you know about 4.7 having updated files. I hope that is more informative.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #74
ProfitTower

Quote:
Look guys, the link that was posted earlier in this thread is an EXE file. It's a long name. When downloaded hook up your phone and get it ready. Double click the exe you downloaded and it should install. If it doesn't open desktop manager open it manually. Then just follow instructions. Make sure you uninstall any previous desktop managers beforehand so you didn't get confused or mix and match. When it runs it should let you know about 4.7 having updated files. I hope that is more informative.
I used the "Clicky |Clicky" link that was posted in this thread and download it today. After I downloaded it ( I use firefox, os i just double clicked in the download box) I double click on it to install it. When I double clicked on it, it automatically opened the desktop manager and I was good to go.

This was a heck of a lot easier that I thought it was going to be. Never had to even search for the link or delete whatever. Just opened up and instructed me from the DM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #75
ElusiveAura
Thumbs Must Hurt

Good deal
Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #76
gkr_Tbone

Carrier: verizon

I updated to .113 yesterday and the camera is MUCH faster. It also doesn't crash when I try making videos. Other apps all work just the same. I did notice the text edit feature is better. I use BES and didn't have any trouble getting that set up again too.
Why the heck does Verizon take so long to update. They are really annoying!
GKR
Old 04-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #77
rickthornton

Quote:

Worked like a charm. Very smooth process.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #78
Watoosy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthornton View Post
Worked like a charm. Very smooth process.
When you downloaded the update on your computer, did it save as a document? I am having issues with opening the update because Windows is asking me which program I want to apply to open/access it. And it gives me opportunity to browse or go to web and find program. My employer may have someway restricted which programs I can download. I have downloaded the update at least 3 times and each time I double click it, it asks me same question.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #79
ElusiveAura
Thumbs Must Hurt

Watoosy can you verify the file your opening is an .exe file?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #80
Watoosy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Watoosy can you verify the file your opening is an .exe file?
I don't it is. All I did was click the link for download now. It just finished downloading onto my desktop. When I check the properties, it shows type of file as '113[1]. Under Opens with, its shows 'unknown application'. I didn't change anything. I think I will give up and just wait until Verizon gets off their rump and provides official update.
Closed Thread