Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
dizzle247
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: sprint
Default Upping password attempt?

Please Login to Remove!

On my 8330, i only have the option to enter the password in wrong up to 10 times before the device is completely wiped.

Now, that's a good thing, but if i wipe my device, then the GPS tracking program that I have installed on the hand held also gets erased from the device and the chances of me getting a stolen phone back are slim to none now.

Can i dig into the files on the device and edit something within the file to allow me to change it so that no matter how many times the password is entered in incorrectly, the handheld will not be wiped at all?

Or is there a way that I can download a program onto my device that WILL NOT be erased after a memory wipe has been done, and i'll be able to still log in from a computer via the internet and track my phone's GPS signal.

I'm already running instamapper on my device, but after testing it out and doing a wipe on the handheld, the program was not erased, but the login information was along with the license key and the GPS signal was lost after wiping the handheld.

I've already searched in aftermarket and google. I'm not finding anything. Can someone shed some light on this?

I know i can run a BES and be able to wipe down the device from a computer remotely, but i'm trying to avoid having to take that route as much as possible.
Since when did these things get so freaking advanced?!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
Crazydog

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Oh wow. That is a very good point. I never really thought of it that way. If I lose my phone, someone can just erase everything on it by putting in the password wrong too many times. I'd like to know about this too.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
PIN: Pulled - 1, 2, 3 run!
Carrier: AT&T

The chances of you getting a stolen phone back are slim to none - period. Wiped, unwiped or partially wiped.

Once stolen - your primary objective should be to protect the information contained within the device.

Even if you could track the BB to a specific location and were able to call Law Enforcement in - the most they would do (if they would even do it) is knock on the door and ask if any parties at the location are in possession of the phone. their response is going to be "NO". then they will probably dispose of the phone that will be the end.

You will not get a search warrant issued for a cell phone. Thus - ypur primary objective should be to protect the information contained within the phone. The SMRTGUARD application will not only nuke your phone. It will wipe your SIM card and your SD card and will also incapcitate the e-mail program.

David

Twitter
Old 04-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
dizzle247
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: sprint

i already know that the police won't do anything as to get my handheld device back .. But that doesn't stop me and a friend from going searching for my phone. Times are tough, it's hard to splurge another $350 on a blackberry after having one stolen from you.

I know there's multiple ways around this issue if the phone were to be stolen by someone. It's not that hard to kill the GPS signal on a device. BUT, in the attempt that the person who stole my phone is a complete and utter idiot, i'd rather have the option that even though my stuff is password protected, that he can not wipe the handheld clean by entering the password in wrong 10 times.
Since when did these things get so freaking advanced?!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

To answer your question, the max attempts is 10 - BES or no BES. There is no way to change that.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

dizzle, in order to do what you want, the answer is not to set the password at all.

Even if you could change it to 20 attempts, you likely wouldn't slow them down much so your scheme for catching them would likely still not be successful.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Again, you can't increase the max password attempts.

I wouldn't count on ever finding a lost wireless device. It's extremely unlikely no matter what measures you take. Keep the password on it and let it wipe itself.
Closed Thread