Old 04-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
hickory59
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Phone Frozen HELP!

Please Login to Remove!

Last night I was playing around with my phone, deleting a bunch of TM's, actually, 'cuz my memory tends to get a little low, when all of a sudden the phone froze up. Well, it does that from time to time, I do a battery pull and everything's fine. So I pulled the battery and when the phone lit up again, it was still frozen on that exact same page where I had left it. It is totally unresponsive, nothing will work.

I took the regular SIM card out (is that what they're still called), as well as the media card (4 G), put it back in, same thing. Then I took out just the media card and guess what? It works perfectly fine, but I don't have the media card now.

I called ATT this afternoon and they told me that that "just happens" sometimes. They said it's not a bad media card and it's not a bad BB, it just is an incompatability that occasionally happens.

WTF???? Can anybody help. Please?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory59 View Post
Last night I was playing around with my phone, deleting a bunch of TM's, actually, 'cuz my memory tends to get a little low, when all of a sudden the phone froze up. Well, it does that from time to time, I do a battery pull and everything's fine. So I pulled the battery and when the phone lit up again, it was still frozen on that exact same page where I had left it. It is totally unresponsive, nothing will work.

I took the regular SIM card out (is that what they're still called), as well as the media card (4 G), put it back in, same thing. Then I took out just the media card and guess what? It works perfectly fine, but I don't have the media card now.

I called ATT this afternoon and they told me that that "just happens" sometimes. They said it's not a bad media card and it's not a bad BB, it just is an incompatability that occasionally happens.

WTF???? Can anybody help. Please?
If the Media Card was previously used in a BB that had and OS less than 4.5 the this is a known issue. Copy all content off of the Media Card to a PC. Format the Media Card with the PC and then insert in the BB and format. Then transfer ONLY your Pics and music files back to the card. DO NOT transfer and directories or Index files.

Good Luck!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 04-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
hickory59
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Thank you , you're right, when I first got the phone and the card, it was the OS of 4.2. I only had it for a week or two when I upgraded to the 4.5. How do I format the card to the PC?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Thank you , you're right, when I first got the phone and the card, it was the OS of 4.2. I only had it for a week or two when I upgraded to the 4.5. How do I format the card to the PC?
If you don't have an adapter for the PC then just copy content to the PC and format in the Handheld if it will stay up that long (not sure how ofter it freezes of reboots) once you format it will stop. Just make sure when you transfer things back that you only copy your content and not the directories or Index files (You should change the view on your PC to show hidden files) or just highlight only your Pic and music files.

E-

Old 04-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
hickory59
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
If you don't have an adapter for the PC then just copy content to the PC and format in the Handheld if it will stay up that long (not sure how ofter it freezes of reboots) once you format it will stop. Just make sure when you transfer things back that you only copy your content and not the directories or Index files (You should change the view on your PC to show hidden files) or just highlight only your Pic and music files.

E-
Well that's the problem. It never "reboots" when the media card is in. As soon as I put the media card and battery back in, that same locked screen pops up immediately on the screen that was there when this originally happened.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
drizzt09
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Rogers Canada

then you will need to get some sort of adapter to plug it into your PC
in windows when its plugged in, copy content off
right click, format
stick back in device and format it again

then transfer data back from PC to bb, and as thatzmister2u stated only the content not the folders
Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
hickory59
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt09 View Post
then you will need to get some sort of adapter to plug it into your PC
in windows when its plugged in, copy content off
right click, format
stick back in device and format it again

then transfer data back from PC to bb, and as thatzmister2u stated only the content not the folders
What is the adaptor I will be looking for?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

The adaptor is for you to be able to plug in your microSD card into your computer or memory card device reader. As you can see the microSD card is really small; typically when you buy a microSD card it comes with an adaptor that looks like a full sized SD card. That lets you connect it to your PC.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
hickory59
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
The adaptor is for you to be able to plug in your microSD card into your computer or memory card device reader. As you can see the microSD card is really small; typically when you buy a microSD card it comes with an adaptor that looks like a full sized SD card. That lets you connect it to your PC.
Oh wow, thanks for that info and I actually found the little adaptor. I just put the microSD card in it, now where do I put it into my computer? I have a couple of USB ports there, but it doesn't fit in that.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Oh wow, thanks for that info and I actually found the little adaptor. I just put the microSD card in it, now where do I put it into my computer? I have a couple of USB ports there, but it doesn't fit in that.
You will need to place the card in an adapter/reader which has a USB connector on the other end to plug into the PC.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
hickory59
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
You will need to place the card in an adapter/reader which has a USB connector on the other end to plug into the PC.
I guess this isn't going to be easy. So I have to go buy an adapter/reader with a USB connector.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
drizzt09
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Rogers Canada

there are adapters(like the one you found) only instead of it turning from microSD to normalSD, it would change from microSD to USB.

you can also get a card reader. usually plugs into USB and has several slots in it, SD, xD, Sont DuoStick, etc etc. it allows you to plug in many different kinds of media cards. yours with the current adapter would go into the SD slot.

I have seen these run as cheap as 11$ in canada
Closed Thread