Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
ajgolf4me

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Bluetooth Help with Desktop Manager

Please Login to Remove!

Have a BB 8300. Can not get Desltop Manger to see my device via Bluetooth. When I open Desktop Manager and click on connection settings it does not give me any options under Bluetooth settings - they are grayed out. This is tru even though my device is connected to my laptop via bluetooth. Has anyone else had this issue and know how to resolve it? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

A lot of people have had problems connecting via Bluetooth with Desktop Manager (I'm one of them). Search around the forum for some old threads/posts, but from what I understand it can be really hit and miss.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
drizzt09
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Canada

best to use the generic windows drivers for the bluetooth on your device, rather than specific manuafacturer drivers... I have heard that helps... I dont use BT myself so im not possitive
Old 05-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
JJGRAZ
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt09 View Post
best to use the generic windows drivers for the bluetooth on your device, rather than specific manuafacturer drivers... I have heard that helps... I dont use BT myself so im not possitive
I've pretty much given up using BT with DM. It was syncing fine except for the fact that I had to confirm 'yes' multiple times every time it tried to connect, then all of a sudden a couple of weeks later, for no apparent reason, it stopped working. It would connect, DM would gray and it would just sit there, a couple of times after about 5 minutes it would start to slowly sync, get to the calendar and freeze.
And, yes, I've seen this thing about 'use generic drivers' multiple times, but nobody ever says where to get the right Vista drivers, so that isn't much help!
Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
gileshlb

Model: 8100c
Carrier: AT&T
Default Bluetooth option grayed out in Desktop manager

I solved this problem by uninstalling the Widcomm BT driver on my Dell Laptop, and using the windows generic BT driver.
- Control panel/add remove programs. Uninstall Widcomm
- Reboot. Windows installs generic BT driver
- Control panel / BT devices/ADD device. Pair up with BBY
- Open BBY Desktop Manager, Options /Connection options.

BT option was available.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by gileshlb View Post
I solved this problem by uninstalling the Widcomm BT driver on my Dell Laptop, and using the windows generic BT driver.
- Control panel/add remove programs. Uninstall Widcomm
- Reboot. Windows installs generic BT driver
- Control panel / BT devices/ADD device. Pair up with BBY
- Open BBY Desktop Manager, Options /Connection options.

BT option was available.
Finally someone who's been able to do it. Where did you get the windows BT driver (I'm using XP)?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
JJGRAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Finally someone who's been able to do it. Where did you get the windows BT driver (I'm using XP)?
See, that's what I mean. Everybody says to use the generic driver, but no one says where to get it!
I'm on Vista.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
AllanRaymond

Carrier: AT&T
Default Getting Bluetooth to work on windows boxes

Here is what I discovered.
1) Ensure that all windows os updates are installed.
2) Use an up-to-date bluetooth dongle. I bought a new "Bluetooth v2.0 + EDR" for around $15.
3) After inserting the dongle into your usb port, do not install the software that comes with the dongle. In vista and xp, I found that the bluetooth native drivers installed immediately.
4) If you find in Device Manager that the bluetooth did not install, try asking the os to update the driver software. You will need internet access for this to be successful.
5) Once you have a successful bluetooth setup, then pair your pc with your BB.
6) With your BB connected by usb, in Desktop Manager select "options" then "connection options". Select Connection Type "Bluetooth", "Turn on Bluetooth Support". Then select configure bluetooth. Set your BB to bluetooth discoverable and pair again.
7) I have also found that I had to repeat the pairing process (steps 5 &6) a few times before I had a successful connection. Delete the pair and try again until you have it.
Not all systems seem to work the same way but I have found that up dated OS and new dongle seem to work the best. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
JJGRAZ

Finally a detailed explanation, thank you.
I notice they just introduced DM v5. I wonder if it addresses any of this????