BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #161
rvinny
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

I have noticed a hissing sound on calls on AT&T 3G with .266. Coming from .190 where I had no issues.

Battery life is def. better though. Still getting memory drain which wasn't really an issue for me on .190. Boot times also seem longer.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #162
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Is there a way to upgrade the OS without having to reactivate BIS (that is, to get a new password from my IT people)?

thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #163
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

I know this is a common question but I am using AT&T's OS (4.6.0.167) and haven't head many issues. In the past with my Curve I'd update the OS whenever I could often though without seeing much obvious change from one to the next, but having to experience some grief in the process.

So the question is whether it's truly worth it to upgrade from my current OS to this one?

thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #164
alicro
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: At&t

I just installed it yesterday and it seems to be better- definitely better battery life. It also seems to work better than 4.6.0.167 with at&t 3G network...I don't know about anyone else, but i seemed to have gained a little memory also.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #165
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think 266 is worth the upgrade from 167. I can't make a direct comparison b/c I had upgraded from 167 to 210 a while back and then from 210 to 266 about 3 weeks ago. Both upgrades were worthwhile. Everything is a little snappier, battery life is better, more available memory and better 3G lock. 167 is a fairly crappy version so I would recommend upgrading.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:08 AM   #166
BBFanboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers
Thumbs down

Going by all the good things said here - I did the update earlier today, now I am running into serious freezing issues - every time it boots after a few minutes. I tried removing applications - seemed to improve then was back with a vengence.

I will now try to wipe all data and enterprise activate again.

If that does not help, Next step will be to downgrade - if I can get it to be stable enough to do the downgrade.

Every second update - I wish that I had not done it.

Last edited by BBFanboy; 05-31-2009 at 02:09 AM..
Old 05-31-2009, 07:44 AM   #167
i2k

Model: 8120

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSO View Post
Is there a way to upgrade the OS without having to reactivate BIS (that is, to get a new password from my IT people)?

thanks
My enterprise activation kicks off a few minutes after any device upgrade as long as I'm on my network @ work or VPN'ed in .
Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #168
TS6141

Model: 9700

I don't see much of a difference as mine still reboots from time to time and I'm really not sure why.

I don't see better coverage or battery drain but won't comment or hold that against it since I'm currently in Kuwait for work. When I get back to the states I'll comment then.

I did notice that my background or home screen image has two black bars on the side of it now and I can't figure out why. Any picture I take with the phone or receive through text does this. Any preloaded image is fine. The version before allowed my images to stretch the full screen. Is there some setting I'm missing?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:15 AM   #169
BBFanboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFanboy View Post
Going by all the good things said here - I did the update earlier today, now I am running into serious freezing issues - every time it boots after a few minutes. I tried removing applications - seemed to improve then was back with a vengence.

I will now try to wipe all data and enterprise activate again.
Well, just reporting back that the wipe data and enterprise reactivate did help. I left the applications I had re-installed and just wiped data - so it looks like it was a data corruption causing it to freeze with the white screen of death. I really should wait until I leave the house as that's when the previous issues started, but it looks promising.

It's now stable, and looks like Wifi is much faster than on previous (.190) os. Cannot report much else as I had not had much time with it.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #170
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k View Post
My enterprise activation kicks off a few minutes after any device upgrade as long as I'm on my network @ work or VPN'ed in .
I did the upgrade and lost the connection, now have to wait to get a new password from IT etc. But as to your success, does the reactivation happen automatically? when I go to BES activation in Options my password is gone and thus I can't reactivate on my own.

One thing I've never understood is why after data reinstall, the prior selected ring tones don't transfer over. I have alert matrix which takes a lot of time to reconfigure ring tones.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:17 AM   #171
Salman

Carrier: STC

Guys I need your help!!
I insisted on my friend to upgrade his BB cause it will be better and now when he upgraded to .266 from .126 every time he tries to answer an incoming call the phone restarts

I tried pulling the batter and the sim out it works for the 1st minute and then goes back to restarting

What should I do??
Old 06-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #172
A_7984

Carrier: other
Unhappy Newbie

hi...i just wanna ask to u........is work work for indonesian carrier?coz i'm from indonesia.........oh, i almost forget!before i post this question,i'll try to update my bb software but always error n how can't it happen?i'm almost desperate!please somebody help me.................SOS
Old 06-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #173
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, it will work with any carrier as long as you remove the vendor.xml file. However, this OS is for the 9000. Your profile shows you have an 8900. That may be why you're getting an error.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #174
A_7984

Unhappy

oh i'm sorry......i forgot edit my profile......now i have bold since 2 weeks ago......so back to the point......when conneting to ROM,my bb always error,why can't it happen?please help me.........thanx
Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #175
jsconyers

Make sure you're connecting directly to a USB port on the back of the PC, not a USB hub. Try different USB ports. Even try rebooting your computer. What error message ate you getting?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #176
A_7984

fatal error...........(i forgot).....but now i'll try to update my bb with the latest OS u send......hope its work!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #177
A_7984

dude finally its work........woala!thanx dude.........but whats the different with the old OS?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #178
jsconyers

Glad you got it to work! There's no release notes. The new OS will most likely fix some small bugs, you may not notice any changes. Maybe better battery life, less of a memory leak or even a little quicker. Read through the thread to get an idea of what others are experiencing.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #179
jimfraser
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSO View Post
I did the upgrade and lost the connection, now have to wait to get a new password from IT etc. But as to your success, does the reactivation happen automatically? when I go to BES activation in Options my password is gone and thus I can't reactivate on my own.

One thing I've never understood is why after data reinstall, the prior selected ring tones don't transfer over. I have alert matrix which takes a lot of time to reconfigure ring tones.
I am on BES, have upgraded the OS many times on my Bold and have not had a problem getting reactivated, without having to contact the IT guys for a new password. I use Desktop Manager (not loader.exe) on a network computer and otherwise follow the instructions at the top of this thread. The BES reiniatilization/activation starts automatically after the new OS is installed, and in my case takes longer than the actual OS upgrade.
It could also depend on what restrictions your IT people impose on the BES as to whether you need a new password to reactivate on the BES.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #180
rvinny
Thumbs Must Hurt

I went from .190 to .266 and had a noticeable issue with hissing/buzzing on 3G calls. Downgraded back to .190 and issue went away. Plus my VM icon works correctly and doesn't ned the hack.

My memory is holding at 45.2 on .190 so that's not a problem for me. Camera loads slow, that is my only gripe with .190. Other than that it has been solid... Don't really see the need to upgrade beyond that for now.
Closed Thread