Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
RJLOMMD

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Exclamation First explorations with .148

Please Login to Remove!

1. Forget OTA. I tried several times and got pretty much nowhere except some question about updating my device and pin. Finally went the PC-DM route and was up in about 45 minutes.
2. Process includes a back up which turned out to be needed. After update was complete I got this message:
Update Complete
Warnings were encountered during the loading process:
Applications could not be restored to the device. The backup data file has been saved to: C:\Documents and Settings\etc\ etc\LoaderBackup-(2009-06-01).ipd. You can use the Desktop Manager Backup/Restore tool to restore this information.

When I looked at my "stuff" there were no messages, etc. But once the restore was done all data was back to the way it was before update.
3. I had to re-register the Pocket Informant app, but the MileageMeter app worked just fine.
4. I had also applied the "Settings for a better Storm Keyboard" and when I checked after the update all the settings EXCEPT for the change from "Normal" to "Fast" wee unchanged. Once I reset the Keyboard rate, the settings were complete.
5. Pocket Informant seems to load a bit quicker but I need to play with it for a few days to really be certain.
6. I really appreciate the QWERTY keyboard now in portrait.
7. There appears to be a new looking cursor when highlighting.

I hope this may be helpful to others just thinking about an OS upgrade for the first time. Too often the advanced tech-ies forget to mention some of the clear-as-day to them, but not to one who has never performed an application loading process before.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
magier76

Model: 9500
Carrier: Hi ( kpn )

Thanks this is realy helpfull.
I will go and try it out today
Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

OTA worked for me the first time and didd it all itself
Old 06-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
hzhao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Did my update via DM on Saturday, error free. Overall response seems a bit fast now. But will give sometime to see how well on battery. I have also noticed few new keys under numerical key pad now. Also, in browse, the "enter" key now became a green colored "Go" key.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
RJLOMMD

Model: Storm
Default Update on "explorations"

.148 seems to be working quite well. After the initial update I discovered that the BROWSER wasn't working. I thought someone else had posted that problem as well, but I couldn't find it.

I did call Verizon Tech Support and got a very helpful person. He explained that it was there but I had one more step to do and that was to go to OPTIONS -->Advanced Options --> Host Routing Table and see that "Verizon [1240]" was bold. Menu key --> Register Now --> OK and voila! My browser returned.

He also suggested a reset (Power off, remove battery and restart) every now and again.

I've been with Verizon since the shoulder-bag battery phone days (Bell Atlantic it was then) and I must say that I've had very good experiences with tech support...now billing matters, well that's another whole volume!!

I hope this helps someone!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
ernhrts3n8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

I just experienced this today. My browser was working up until today and I had to call and the tech suggested the same thing. He also told me to set the auto on/off function. I hope this works. This phone is a lot of work too!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
rafa2044
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: you want to know because...

I have noticed it takes longer from landscape to portray. I had a beta OS installed previously.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
lynchk

Model: 9530
Default Errant Upper Case Letters

Since the upgrade I've had problems with letters converting to upper case while typing. I'll try different keyboard setting and see if that helps. I was set to 250/100/High and Key Rate Fast. I just changed the latter to "normal".
Closed Thread