Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
sats4eva
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Telus
Default Best Prepaid for the Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Hi I live up in Canada and im coming to the US for about a month. I have an unlocked storm. I have a t-mobile sim card but I wanted to know what prepaid plan you feel the best. What im looking for is some form of unlim minutes (evenings or weekends) and some data to make use of my storm. Any ideas?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

There are no prepaid plans that allow BlackBerry data usage.

Your best bet is to stick with T-Mobile. They have an unlimited nights, weekend, and M2M plan.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
sats4eva

what is the sidekick then with t-mobile? cant i just use that in my storm?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

A sidekick is another device. It has nothing to do with a BlackBerry.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
sats4eva

Thanks for the clarification. From the voice perspective so does everybody agree t-mobile kicks butt?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:57 AM   #6
bigboybenny116

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Net10, and t-mobile

actually it depends on where yoyr going to be because metro pcs has unlimited plans for 50 bucks a month and they work with bb from what i hear but check to see if theyres coverage in your area ifnot then tmobile sidekick dollar a day prepaid would b best
Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 AM   #7
bigboybenny116

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Net10, and t-mobile

o and did you pay to unlock ur storm or do you have a software that does it?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:23 AM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboybenny116 View Post
actually it depends on where yoyr going to be because metro pcs has unlimited plans for 50 bucks a month and they work with bb from what i hear but check to see if theyres coverage in your area ifnot then tmobile sidekick dollar a day prepaid would b best
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboybenny116 View Post
o and did you pay to unlock ur storm or do you have a software that does it?
Please do not post if you cannot contribute relevant information.

1. MetroPCS won't work easily with the OP's Storm, and it will mess up his Canadian service as MetroPCS is CDMA.
2. The T-Mobile Sidekick Unlimited Prepaid won't do the OP any good for data access on his Storm.
3. There is no legal software for a person to unlock BlackBerry devices themselves, and the legal hardware/software system is very expensive, so I'm sure he paid to have it unlocked.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
Backnblack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sats4eva View Post
From the voice perspective so does everybody agree t-mobile kicks butt?
Not IMHO, Had T-mobile before and left after 2 weeks, Been with VZW ever since. DC Metro area here
Old 05-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
Not IMHO, Had T-mobile before and left after 2 weeks, Been with VZW ever since. DC Metro area here
The OP needs a GSM provider, not CDMA.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Your two options for GSM services would be Tmobile and AT&T. Both have similar prepaid plans. You can take a look at them on their websites if you want.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
sats4eva

To answer a few questions, I paid to get it unlocked. PM me and I can direct you there. I live in toronto. I know this forum has some links to some unlock companys as well. I paid 30 bucks myself and got my fiances storm unlocked for 30 as well. I'm not sure what other people are charging.

I'm a frequent traveler to the US but stay short visits thus a monthly plan wouldnt be ideal but its a good suggestion. I generally travel to Buffalo, NYC, Chicago and Texas. Buffalo on a weekly basis and the rest maybe once a month.

Backnblack is there a reason why you switched from T-Mobile?

dc/dc thanks for summary. And yes I am looking at GSM. Otherwise cricket had a pretty good plan but they are CDMA. Althought I do have the subsidy code as well for my
storm, I prefer not to mess around with those settings to get the CDMA side flipped over.
According to Telus, messing with the CDMA side will void my warranty so id rather avoid that altogether.

It looks like T-mobile is the only company offering weeknights after 7pm while verizon and any other I saw is after 9pm.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

There's a new AT&T GoPhone plan that allows unlimited calling to any phone in the U.S., for $3/day only on the days you use the phone for voice calling.

Additionally, you can add MediaNet data service as a feature for $4.99/for first 1MB, then $0.01/KB over 1 MB. . . . make no mistake that the MediaNet data service will not support BlackBerry data connection but will provide gprs/edge connection, giving you the ability to use a 3rd party browser, such as OperaMini, from where you can check web-based email accounts.

Load up a GoPhone SIM card with a $100 Refill (meaning refilling with one PIN) and your SIM will not expire until after 1 year later, even if you use up your refill minutes. . . (note that 4 x $25 or 2 x $50 or $75+$25 refills is not the same as 1 x $100 refill, those combinations will only give your SIM a 90-day life)
Old 06-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #14
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisambo View Post
There's a new AT&T GoPhone plan that allows unlimited calling to any phone in the U.S., for $3/day only on the days you use the phone for voice calling.

Additionally, you can add MediaNet data service as a feature for $4.99/for first 1MB, then $0.01/KB over 1 MB. . . . make no mistake that the MediaNet data service will not support BlackBerry data connection but will provide gprs/edge connection, giving you the ability to use a 3rd party browser, such as OperaMini, from where you can check web-based email accounts.

Load up a GoPhone SIM card with a $100 Refill (meaning refilling with one PIN) and your SIM will not expire until after 1 year later, even if you use up your refill minutes. . . (note that 4 x $25 or 2 x $50 or $75+$25 refills is not the same as 1 x $100 refill, those combinations will only give your SIM a 90-day life)
This still doesn't allow for BlackBerry use.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #15
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I hear Orange in the U.K. is going to offer a pre-paid BlackBerry data plan soon, if they're not already. Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend and international travelers with BB's won't need to jump through hoops or pay outrageous fees to get their email.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #16
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I hear Orange in the U.K. is going to offer a pre-paid BlackBerry data plan soon, if they're not already. Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend and international travelers with BB's won't need to jump through hoops or pay outrageous fees to get their email.
They already do.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #17
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
This still doesn't allow for BlackBerry use.
Sure it does, it will enable one to use their BlackBerry to check email using webmail... but if you want to be kosher about it, that its not BB service, then that too, was already duly noted in the post.

BTW, how does this line rub on you? . . .: "Please do not post if you cannot contribute relevant information." . . . I bet that kinda sounds familiar right. . .
Old 06-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #18
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Sure it does, it will enable one to use their BlackBerry to check email using webmail... but if you want to be kosher about it, that its not BB service, then that too, was already duly noted in the post.

BTW, how does this line rub on you? . . .: "Please do not post if you cannot contribute relevant information." . . . I bet that kinda sounds familiar right. . .
I posted completely relevant information. A prepaid plan in the United States (other than that new thing you just posted in this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/carr...ml#post1402629) will not allow for BlackBerry use. By BlackBerry use, I mean kosher BlackBerry service. I would never refer to anything else but that.

So on that note, don't be a <language removed>

Last edited by daphne; 06-09-2009 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: language
Old 06-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #19
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

[QUOTE=dc/dc;1402632]I posted completely relevant information. A prepaid plan in the United States (other than that new thing you just posted in this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/carr...ml#post1402629) will not allow for BlackBerry use. By BlackBerry use, I mean kosher BlackBerry service. I would never refer to anything else but that.

<edited language>QUOTE]

To the Mods, please note that I take offense on Member dc/dc's comment stated above.

Last edited by daphne; 06-09-2009 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: language
Old 06-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #20
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
To the Mods, please note that I take offense on Member dc/dc's comment stated above.
What is your problem? Honestly? You've picked fights with me before, and the time I stand up for myself, you're now "offended"? Grow up, and let's move on.

I'm not here to pick fights, I'm here to help people, but I'm not going to take your <edited for language>.

Last edited by daphne; 06-09-2009 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: language
Closed Thread