Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: T of Ale, Please!
Carrier: AT&T
Question Printing from the Bold

Please Login to Remove!

I know this has been discussed many times, and on many forums, but there was really no answer to the question. Here is what I know:
  • The USB port on a BlackBerry is not capable of printing, i.e., with a cable
  • HP+RIM might have a printing solution in the fall
  • BlackBerries don't have a print driver
  • EOffice has some sort of printing capability? I guess?
  • There is a thermal BT printer for BlackBerries that is very expensive (as in, I'm not interested)
  • DynoPlex Printing is out there, somewhere, if you can find a Bluetooth printer
  • I do not want to print to fax - fax quality is crap

Has anybody ever used the eOffice to print anything? I mean, hey, if you can buy eOffice for $30, and be able to print, that beats $70 for the Docs To Go, with no printing

I would love to be able to print via Wifi, which is what I do at home, with my PC/Mac + Airport Express + HP DeskJet. Who knows if that will ever happen?

If I can't do that, I would like to buy a Bluetooth USB dongle that works with multiple printers, stick it on and be able to print.

I just want to be able to print the occasional doc, straight from my Bold.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
JSylvia007
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 2166B57D

I would be interested in this as well!
Proud consumer of the BlackBerry KoolAid!
Bold 9700 v5.0.0.423 - at&t - Pin: 2166B57D
Old 06-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
RoyJackson

PIN: N/A

eOffice didn't get particularly good reviews

I got this from myofficeportal.org:

HP CloudPrint for BlackBerry

Research in Motion (RIM), the developer of the BlackBerry phones and the technology related to them, struck a partnership with computer company Hewlett-Packard. This partnership resulted in HP CloudPrint, a solution that allows anyone with a BlackBerry to access any printer nearby and print documents. It is definitely a handy solution for people doing business on the road.

With the HP CloudPrint, you can upload a document on the HP servers that are dedicated for use in this service. The service will prompt you for the documentxxx8217;s name, your name and your phone number prior to uploading. When the uploading is done, the document will appear as an Adobe Acrobat file on your web browser. Click on it, and it will print using the nearest networked printer.

Mobile Printing from Brother for BlackBerry

HP is not the only computer company to come up with a mobile printing solution for BlackBerry phones. Brother also has its own software for the smartphone, for use in some of their mobile printer models, such as the MPrint MW-140 BT.

Like most mobile printers, the MPrint mobile printer works using Bluetooth technology, but Brotherxxx8217;s mobile printing solution is specifically made for the BlackBerry. The software suite can be downloaded from the Brother website.

When the software is installed, it adds a print option for messages, tasks and calendar in the BlackBerry. The phone will then communicate with the Brother mobile printer using a variety of Bluetooth options.

ActivePrint Traveler for BlackBerry

Another software solution that will allow you to do mobile printing using your BlackBerry is the ActivePrint Traveler. ActivePrint was first developed for the Windows Mobile operating system for smartphones, although its developers have since branched out to offer similar mobile printing services to other phone services, not just BlackBerry but also the Apple iPhone and the Google Android.

ActivePrint Traveler works almost like the HP CloudPrinter. You need to install the software in your BlackBerry, and then use the software to upload documents onto the ActivePrint servers. The document will then be available for printing as soon as you get to a computer that is hooked up with a printer.

There are many mobile printing solutions that you can explore for your BlackBerry. All of them are designed to make your work run more smoothly and easily whenever you are away from your physical office and are on the road.

Last edited by RoyJackson; 06-30-2009 at 02:38 PM..
Old 06-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: T of Ale, Please!

What I see here is a pattern. Upload a file to the web, and then a PC will download and print the file. Honestly, I can do that right now.

There are several AutoPrint applications for the PC, one of them is freeware, that was written by some consulting company. It is an add-in for Outlook. I think I could easily create a macro in Outlook that does the same thing.

I guess it is not like printing to a standard printer from a smartphone is being done - the iPhone doesn't do it, nor the Pre, nor my old Treo 750, nor my old Nokia 3650. Oh, wait a minute - my old Newton could do it!

So a Newton 120 can print directly to a printer, but the BlackBerry, Pre and iPhone can not. Isn't that a hoot?

Huh!

Last edited by michaelalanjones; 06-30-2009 at 11:17 PM..
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
tomtheguitarguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

It appears that the Brother solution doesn't require uploading to a web (of course you have to use a specific Brother printer though).
Closed Thread