Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Switching from Rogers to Bell

Please Login to Remove!

I have been having issues with my phone that Rogers seems to be reluctant to fix, so I want to switch to bell.

The price plan with bell is significantly cheaper because I get a corporate rate which is spectacular. But I am more concerned about service and features over the cost of the plan.

For example, Rogers will be releasing name display for their phones where Bell has no anonuncement to do so. This would be a great feature to have and I would feel a loss without it frankly.

I know we have weighed the two carriers before but I guess there is no real difference other than the data cap. Am I correct on this?

Thanks.

Shane

p.s.-- I am really going to miss my BLUEberry. The black ones just aren't as nice in my opinion. :p
Old 12-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

What's the current situation with Bell's BES/MDS gateway. Last i heard you couldn't use third party apps like bbreader, etc with belll if you didn't have a BES.. Is this still the case?

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
CanuckMakem
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneToronto
What's the current situation with Bell's BES/MDS gateway. Last i heard you couldn't use third party apps like bbreader, etc with belll if you didn't have a BES.. Is this still the case?

Thank you.
Yes this is still the case, same with Telus.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:21 AM   #4
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

For international travels outside North America go with Rogers. Bell and Telus BlackBerries will not work there because they use different type of wireless network.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
Jase88

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

IMO, Bell is the better deal. You get a faster network (EVDO w/7130e, coming soon for 7250), data tethering is now possible, truly unlimited data (no overage charges), and great coverage coast to coast with no roaming fees.

You will require BES with Bell (if you decide to use 3rd party network apps). However, with Rogers, only 4MB of overage (29MB total usage), will put you above the cost of BES hosting. I'd rather pay the cost for BES hosting than overage. Especially if you intend to tether your device to a laptop.

Competition amongst wireless carriers is fierce, as you're aware. That being said, I'm sure that the other carriers will be offering name display shortly. Frankly, I don't understand the appeal of this service: My cell isn't listed in the phonebook, and most--if not all--of the people calling my cell are already programmed into my phonebook.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

jase: I agree with the benefits of bell- and the corporate discount that they are offering is SIGNIFICANT with bell.

Name display is a HUGE advantage for me. i am self employed and tend to work from out of my office and forward calls to my blackberry. In this case having name display is a huge advantage because I know who is calling and if it is appropriate (or on the flip side necessary) to answer my phone depending on what I am doing. I am really looking forward to this feature.

Still on the fence about this. I am just so fed up with the problems I have been having with Rogers.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
MobileRC

Model: 8300

Customer service on Bell is beyond horrible. It would only be more frustrating for you to go from a shitty situation to an even worse one.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #8
Jase88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneToronto

Still on the fence about this. I am just so fed up with the problems I have been having with Rogers.
What sort of issues are you having with Rogers? I believe you mentioned something in another thread about SMS...were there other problems?
Old 12-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #9
Jase88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileRC
Customer service on Bell is beyond horrible. It would only be more frustrating for you to go from a shitty situation to an even worse one.
Can't say I've ever had a problem with Bell's customer service. And I've used Blackberry on Rogers and Bell...

But then again, I rarely have problems with my Blackberry service (on Bell).
Old 12-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #10
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

- inability to send sms
- rampant "congestion" message on my area (toronto downtown harbourfront)
- rogers was unable to diagnose a simple problem and blamed it on hardware and sent me FOUR new blackberries before they decided that if all four had the same issue, chances are it wasn't my hardware or settings
Old 12-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #11
jscully

Model: 9530
PIN: 3066853A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88
...data tethering is now possible...
on the 7250 as of right now? or after the EV-do upgrade which isn't out yet?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:11 PM   #12
Jase88

^^ You can tether the 7130e. And it will be possible on the 7250 next month when the EVDO upgrade becomes available.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:26 PM   #13
corporate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88
^^ You can tether the 7130e. And it will be possible on the 7250 next month when the EVDO upgrade becomes available.
Next month, you say?
Closed Thread