k.jacko
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 125
Default BES: adding a 2nd domain?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

this is slightly different to other threads asking for advice on 2nd emails on bes devices.
I just want to add a 2nd domain, but the device will only be setup for that one email address and not as an addition to the primary domain email address, if you know what i mean?
Our exchange server 2003 collects mail for other domains as well as the primary domain, so i was hoping the BES could do the same.

Or does BES only ever mirror the primary domain? If so, then it means i have to completely set up a new server with exchange and BES (although not recommended on the same server**) just for one person.
They MUST have complete wireless synchronicity, i.e. not connected to pc to sync contacts and calenders, a la BIS style.

** i've had our BES installed on an xp client pc for 2 years now without issue. Although not recommended would it be safe to install server 2003, exchange 2003 and BES 4.1 on the same pc (custom built pc as opposed to proper server hardware).

Any advice would be great, thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

BES doesn't look at specific email addresses, but rather at the mailbox as a whole. If it gets to the mailbox the BES will get it. Mail sent from the handheld will come from whatever is defined as the primary SMTP address. (e.g. the same address outlook will use as the sender for that user)
Old 08-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
k.jacko

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes i think i understand.
However i don't think what i want to do is feasible as it would mean this particular user's mailbox would have to reside on our exchange box. In reality he is part of another company in a different geographical location.

We were trying to save the £1000 it will cost to implement a BES in his own company just for one user, by having him use ours.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

if the mailbox is in a different Exchange organization it won't work ... I thought it was the same mailbox with just an additional / different email address.

make sure you use the word domain cautiously and explain your usage of it.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
k.jacko

Well i was going to tell you how you were right in what you were thinking and that i only realised after that it wouldn't be on the same exchange organisation.
But then you told me off like a naughty schoolboy.

Thanks anyway.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

I am not a Nun, nor do I have a wooden stick
Closed Thread