Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
Rumple
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Carrier: Telus
Question BES Console Questions

Please Login to Remove!

We have BES 4 up and running fine and now I want to allow the helpdesk to manage the adding/removing of users as required.

The Remote Management console instructions are a little vague, but I think if I use the Enterprise manager to give each helpdesk person DB owner rights on the BES Database (MSDE), then when I install the manager I can then use trusted connection to allow them to connect to the BES manager.

I also read about the utility to restrict permissions when running BES manager remotely to prevent them from making configuration changes.

So far I've setup the following:
Test desktop with Outlook 2000 BES software, trusted connection (I am server admin) and it worked fine.

I tried setting up the same thing on my desktop, but I use outlook 2003 for my mail. When I tried to configure the MAPI profile, it gave me errors and said the server was not responding.

Overall I'm a little confused about the best way to allow the helpdesk to provision new blackberries, while still using Outlook 2000/2003 for their regualr email as well as preventing them from having admin permissions on the server or database.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
exchangemymail
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: AT&T

**bump**
Support: 516-484-0077
Exchangemymail.com
GBESX.com
Old 12-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Rumple

no one can help?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #4
KlarUlz

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumple
We have BES 4 up and running fine and now I want to allow the helpdesk to manage the adding/removing of users as required.

The Remote Management console instructions are a little vague, but I think if I use the Enterprise manager to give each helpdesk person DB owner rights on the BES Database (MSDE), then when I install the manager I can then use trusted connection to allow them to connect to the BES manager.

I also read about the utility to restrict permissions when running BES manager remotely to prevent them from making configuration changes.

So far I've setup the following:
Test desktop with Outlook 2000 BES software, trusted connection (I am server admin) and it worked fine.

I tried setting up the same thing on my desktop, but I use outlook 2003 for my mail. When I tried to configure the MAPI profile, it gave me errors and said the server was not responding.

Overall I'm a little confused about the best way to allow the helpdesk to provision new blackberries, while still using Outlook 2000/2003 for their regualr email as well as preventing them from having admin permissions on the server or database.

Thanks for any advice.

I wouldnt let my HelpDesk get within 50 feet of my Manager. It gives WAY to much power... I would highly highly highly highly recommend waiting about 2 months... all I can say without breaking NDA's with RIM
Old 12-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #5
Rumple

That works for me...
Old 12-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
woogs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Its nothing secret about whats coming in 2 months. RIM announced that the new 4.1 version will allow you to create different management accounts with different levels of permissions on what everyone can do. You can then allow help desk to provision new users but not change server settings, etc.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

There are 5 canned role-based administration groups (according to the webcast on BES 4.1). They are security level, enterprise level, and device level, SR level help desk, and JR level help desk. I dont know specifically what each group is capable of, maybe someone else does. The webcast also stated that these groups can not be modified. This is a stop gap solution to satisify demand. The next major release is supposed to have the ability to create custom groups.

Doug
Closed Thread