Old 12-25-2005, 01:28 PM   #21
wuberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Sometimes you don't want people to have your actual phone number or would prefer you get paged as opposed to having your phone number called. I'm going to look into the cingular service to see if it's worth it.

That's a good point. To get a page, one received a phone call, it goes to voicemail, and then one receives the numeric page. Ideally, I'd like only to receive the page instead of both.

As I recall, Cingular Enterprise Paging is about $10/month and there's no toll-free number. (It's a 408 area code.)

Pagica is about $7.00/month and has a toll-free number.

Numeric page is $40/year and has a toll-free number.

All the costs are in US dollars.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:04 PM   #22
evilcaptain
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I have a pager and I did not want to carry it with my BB. I have my pages emailed to my blackberry. My Skytel pager has an option to have a copy of the pages sent to an email address. I set my filters on my BB so that the pages are level 1 messages and set it to vibrate/beep on arrival. Works great. But that does not solve the problem of removing and not paying for a pager and only having the BB just reducing what needs to be carried.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #23
d123456
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290, 7280

For Cingular they have a phone number that you can dial to page a person. All you need is the persons phone number.

No need to dial the persons number and wait for their voicemail to pop up.

Old 12-26-2005, 01:35 AM   #24
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcaptain
I have a pager and I did not want to carry it with my BB. I have my pages emailed to my blackberry. My Skytel pager has an option to have a copy of the pages sent to an email address. I set my filters on my BB so that the pages are level 1 messages and set it to vibrate/beep on arrival. Works great. But that does not solve the problem of removing and not paying for a pager and only having the BB just reducing what needs to be carried.
This is what I do. Luckily the job pays for the pager.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:16 AM   #25
MooseBerry

Model: 9930
PIN: Up :)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I think I'm going to try out the NumericPage. I just tried Pagica (trial) and it works well. The nice thing about Pagica is that you can send the page to as many phones, devices and email addresses as you'd like. But, NumericPage is less then half the annual price.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:31 AM   #26
Teledatageek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
I've used NumericPage for about a year and it has worked very well for the most part.

I have my office voicemail system (which can't do e-mail notification yet....) call the toll free number.

I get an e-mail on my 7250 notifying me to check voicemail. I use a rule to make their e-mails Level 1.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:50 AM   #27
wuberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by d123456
For Cingular they have a phone number that you can dial to page a person. All you need is the persons phone number.

No need to dial the persons number and wait for their voicemail to pop up.
Many thanks. This would have been just what I was looking for and it's free, but ...

I'm using a piece of equipment that automatically sends numeric pages. It can handle the number to call, PINs, pauses, -- anything before it delivers the numberic message. However, it can't deliver any characters after it sends the numeric message; it can only hang up.

I tried this number and -- as far as I can tell -- it requires the ending "#" for the message to be sent. Just hanging up doesn't work. (Incidentally, just hanging up does work for the cut-through paging with Cingular voicemail.)
Old 12-27-2005, 12:46 PM   #28
Tylar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnwosu
I use a pager at work because I am on call throughout the day. Is there a way that a blackberry can recieve pages, similar to how my pager recieves pages. The pager is an one way alhanumeric pager, my boss has a 2 way and he can send me pages directly. I was thinking about the PIN number, but that is only for BB to BB messages. Has anyone had any experience with this?

-HeCareth
I see you have a lot of responses and rather than spend the time reading all of them to save being redundant, here's what I do.

I receive "on a good day" about ~300 pages from an NMS system and also have BES connectivity. Nextel 7520, i found that the most efficient way to have this dealt with was the following:

1. email does nothing other than flash an LED for email received via BES for my work addy. I get a lot of email and don't want to be woke up for something I don't care to see until 0800 the following morning.

2. I have the paging system send to <me>@nextel.blackberry.net and have that web service send them as Level 1 messages. Level 1 messages (PIN, SMS and Web emails) alarm so that I'm alerted to any action the NMS is paging me on.

I've found this to be quite effective in my sanity. I was quite happy to have this enabled as there is a text limitation on the SMS messages, the paging system can't PIN me, and I didn't want to carry around my Skytel Timeport pager (brick) AND my CrackBerry at teh same time. It'd kill my posture and break belts.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:20 AM   #29
wuberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

I signed up for the Pagica free trial and it works great. I did have to "play" with the settings on the equipment that sends the automated page, but it wasn't too bad. You can also set delivery schedules within the Pagica Web site and they provide an on-line log of all pages.

Two final questions. Pagica sends the numeric page in the subject line of an e-mail that can be sent to multiple addresses, as was mentioned earlier.

I'm on Cingular. As I understand it, if I have the e-mail sent to my account on the BES, it's covered under the unlimited data plan. However, if I have it sent to [email address], I get charged for it as an SMS. Is that right? Is there any advantage to using the [email address] address?

Many thanks for the help.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:46 AM   #30
MooseBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuberry
Is there any advantage to using the [email address] address?

Many thanks for the help.
The way you're doing it, your getting a txt message. Why don't you send them to your BB email address instead? It's instant and there's no charge.
It's your [email address]
Try that.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:48 PM   #31
wuberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'll try that. Many thanks for the response and the help.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:17 AM   #32
MooseBerry

Your very welcome! It's why we're all here
Old 03-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #33
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylar
2. I have the paging system send to <me>@nextel.blackberry.net and have that web service send them as Level 1 messages. Level 1 messages (PIN, SMS and Web emails) alarm so that I'm alerted to any action the NMS is paging me on.
I tried this, but I found that the Level 1 message alert settings are insufficient. I can set it to Notify three times, but after that the only thing you can have it do is to flash the LED. This means if I go to sleep and I get paged and don't wake up after the first 3 notifying beeps, it wont try again. Also, if I leave the room and it pages, then when I come back the LED flashing is no different than it always flashes (Green). During the actual notification it flashes red, but after that its green.

Have you found a better way to handle this?
Old 03-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #34
JeffW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9670
Carrier: Sprint

I use this service for managing alerts.

http://www.webmessenger.com/products/mablackberry.htm

I can set rules that allow for audible alerts when I went them and silent alerts at other times. Additionally, I was able to set up the pager aspect to go audible and keep beeping and led flashing all the time.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:09 AM   #35
Soapm

What the BB needs is the old 3 to 5 minute reminder chirp. I send this as a suggestion once a month to [email address] however, they stopped responding a few months ago. I think they put me on the kill list.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #36
kobersteen

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

I may be trying to integrate two different technologies, but what about alpha-pages? The Fire Department and Labor Local that I work for use CapCodes and Motorola Advisor Elites (http://www.usamobility.com/bus_solut...visorelite.htm). The fire department sends out incident notifications, recall notificaitons and other vital info via the pager.

Getting the Labor Local to use e-mail and my BB is easy, but the fire department deals with several hundred pagers and are stuck on the CapCode technology.

Is there a way to make it so I recieve the departments text pages on my BB 7520?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #37
cbb77

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygut
I tried this, but I found that the Level 1 message alert settings are insufficient. I can set it to Notify three times, but after that the only thing you can have it do is to flash the LED. This means if I go to sleep and I get paged and don't wake up after the first 3 notifying beeps, it wont try again. Also, if I leave the room and it pages, then when I come back the LED flashing is no different than it always flashes (Green). During the actual notification it flashes red, but after that its green.

Have you found a better way to handle this?

I just found an app that allows me to use the blackberry as a pager. It's called Notifire and works quite well. It allows you to define the style of rings / vibrate options on the blackberry. I am basically on 24x7 support for my work. We have a system that pages out; which I just configured with my email address. I then configured Notifire to ring and vibrate forver until I answer the message. You can define all sorts of scenarios. I have specific rings for different types of messgaes as well as shutoff all the email message alerts for standard messages. Definitely worth trying out. I picked it up at Handango for $16. Actual name is Notifire Professional. Support is also great. Had an issue with it working properly on my 8700c. Shot off an email and received response back within 20 mins with updated version to install. Well worth the $16!
Old 03-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #38
vhic

Model: 8700c

Soapm,
I agree with you:: what is needed is the 3 to 5 minute reminder chirp. Speaking of the "reminder chirp", has anyone using the 8700c been able to find the chirp for this model. Been looking for it online and everywhere since I got my 8700c. No luck!

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #39
ecl3

Model: 8700
Carrier: T Mobile

I use the tmobile voicemail option for this. I have recorded a custom voicemail answer message that says "Hello, this is xxx. To send a page press 5" I then pause for a few seconds and then say "or you can leave me a voice message after the beep". Most of my office contacts thus do not know that this is my cellphone number. I list it on my contact info as a pager. The numeric message goes through instantly and shows up as a SMS. As I don't use SMS often, I have the alert setting for SMS as a vibrate-tone.

It works well and it's free.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #40
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbb77
I then configured Notifire to ring and vibrate forver until I answer the message.
The problem with this is it will run the battery down if you for say, leave it at the house or sleeping off a good drunk. The advantage of the reminder chirp is it is battery friendly. What it would do is every 3 to 5 minutes you get a single chirp that says hey, I need attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobersteen
Is there a way to make it so I recieve the departments text pages on my BB 7520?.
I believe your answer to this will be with your pager settings. I carry a skytel for my company, I was able to log in my account on the skytel website and forward all my pages to my work email address. I then set a filter to make anything from @skytel.com a level 1 message. You have to get creative but there are many ways to get a message to your BB.

I rely to their pagers by using [email address] which I have most folks loaded as a secondary email addy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobersteen
I have recorded a custom voicemail answer message that says "Hello, this is xxx. To send a page press 5" I then pause for a few seconds and then say "or you can leave me a voice message after the beep".
Now that's funny and ghetto at the sametime...
Closed Thread